Apple shutting off your audio gear...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tzzsmk, Dec 13, 2023.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Will Apple be shutting off your audio gear? (TLDR - universal AppleFWAudio.kext removed from Ventura, Sonoma...)

Kernel Extension vs. System Extension (new macOS RME audio drivers explained)

thoughts? :chilling:

3. 8bits

8bits Producer

For security and stability reasons...bah
    Just a note:
    Windows machines: running firewire devices since old windows 7 still to do it in windows 11.
    Apple suicide, and in my studio i have 4 apple maschines 2 of them with Monterey one with Sonoma and ond an old capable rosetta mac!
    I still have a pro gear with firewire interface that i do use it rarely..is a GSR mixer by A&H and used most as sub mix connected to a Monterey machine and used with adat option, anyway if i will need it to use with Sonoma I will for sure dont fucking care to disable the crap SIP and copy the right Monterey AppleFW kext in the system kernel with the all crap terminal command it needs to get it working...(for nubyez kext install apps are free around the net!)
    What i dont ike is the aggressive apple politic to get redundant what ever they like. Crazy world.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Thotu

Thotu Ultrasonic

Ditch Apple, go Windows. I hate this money-whore company and the cocky users too... (R2R thinks the same.):thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

It's what Apple does. They push the reset button on your hardware (and sometimes software) purchases every 10-13 years.

1984 68000 -> 1995 PowerPC -> 2006 Intel -> 2020 Apple M -> 203X Apple X.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i think we all should go Linux if all our plugins and software would be supported.

Because windows has other quirks and Microsoft other stupid future ideas.

And i write that as 25 years windows user.

Ontopic: I think Apple wants to kill all branches, which dont really make them any money. Those 5 audio peeps ...
    And like wiht the 8GB RAM issue, they do that with a lot stupid blah blah ...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. zpaces

zpaces Producer

I don't see any problems. Great video by RME!

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

However, MS is developing in exactly the same direction under Satya Nadella.

9. zpaces

zpaces Producer

MS is aiming on ARM-Systems with Windows 12 already. Yea, I had a big laugh already!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. thomas

thomas Noisemaker

Don't upgrade as advised all will be fine, dont worry about security updates, it is useless and is only designed to make your older products run slower IMHO.

11. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Windows 11and Terratec and Tascam drivers from WinXP still running. OK, nobody needs that but me some months ago, to have prove that it works. I praised MS for it publicly.

12. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Nothing new in this video: Firewire is an outdated technology, for more than 10 years we have had Thunderbolt which is much more powerful. The manufacturers of audio interfaces have long taken action on the subject and now Thunderbolt is the standard (in addition to USB).
    There is no evil conspiracy: these are just Apple's strategic and technological choices to maintain a high level of engineering.
    Hijacking this non-news into a Win vs Mac thread is the usual time-wasting cliché

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

what's relatively new is combination of Apple removing "legacy" kernel extension drivers (such as itb audio firewire support) in favour of new driverkit drivers for manufacturers that don't conform to Apple's itb frameworks,
    this is new since Ventura and even more apparent in Sonoma (and upcoming next MacOS not to be disclosed publicly any further by now)

14. ArticStorm

what windows on ARM is disaster right now. No supported hardware, it runs barely.
    Also nobody using it and nobody is even slightly thinking of using it in the future.
    but its time to move on from x86-x64.

Apple handled transition more or less smoothly.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Windows 11 for ARM runs very snappy and very smooth in Parallels on Apple Silicon, in fact much smoother than (non-virtualized) MacOS on Apple Silicon, so it seems Microsoft is already way ahead the game software-wise, now it's about hardware and third-party devs...
    :chilling:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

But for Apple its easier because they only need to control their OS and their hardware. The number of OS/hardware configuration options you can find there is manageable.

Windows has completely different problems with its extreme backwards compatibility for ages.
    I'm amazed that they can keep this pile of code (pun only works in german sorry...) with all that layers of compatibility running at all. Thts real craftsmanship:rofl:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  17. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

I had seen the writing on the wall when, a few years ago, I'd bought my first (used) five-year-old Macbook Pro without a Firewire 800 port. I got hip to USB 3, and later to USB-C, and appreciated their speed. I use them with SSD drives; the Firewire 800 I'd been using with 7200RPM HDDs. Although Firewire connects straight to the motherboard, I'd cooked a couple of FW800 drives by daisy-chaining them, which they're supposed to be able to do, but they did so with too many errors.

I know that established studio users are staunchly invested in their hardware, but if hardware manufacturers hadn't seen this coming, I don't know what to say, except for FW users to plan on using Mojave or Catalina for the next 10 years. It's wise to hang back, anyway, but all equipment is eventually outmoded. (Is anyone still using SCSI connections and ZIP or JAZ drives?)

18. ArticStorm

yeah, but it runs dogshit on native hardware, because there are no driver for anything, which you can have as hardware.
    Parallels might has stock emulation of stock hardware, which is supported.

yeah the source code for windows must be insane. I remember you can find GUI elements of windows 3.11 somewhere.
    i think they dropped 16bit layer atleast ages ago.
    The 32bit layer still does its work, quite successful.

Yes but this all leads to super stupid problems and bugs sometimes. And embedding stuff like cortana, the ms store, Edge deep into the system makes it very hard to disable it. You can break your windows, by disabling Edge. Its super painful.
    Wondering how the AI crap will work in windows 12. Madge.

Agree for Apple having it easier to transition ...

I am not seeing windows on ARM in the near future unless MS really pushes for it.

19. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I've always wondered why some Windows users can't stand the fact that Apple and its users even exist. You do you...

20. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Mac,Windows and Linux all fucking suck in their own way. :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  21. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Well said, they really all do have their own uniquely stupid issues. lol