Apple moves to self produced ARM cpus for the Mac - Bye Bye Intel

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by taskforce, Jun 22, 2020.

1. I will probably buy my last imac this year or next. It will be much faster than my current 27" 2015 model and I will probably have to face the upgrade to Catalina. I will upgrade my interface and externals to Thunderbolt 3 and I'm finished. I will continue using Logic as I always have. I'm not an unhappy Apple user, but neither am I particularly happy. In 5 short years I had to discard Firewire, then Thunderbolt 1 to make way for Thunderbolt 2. Now I have a dizzying array of USB 1,2 and 3 and USB-C. I understand the nature of technology is to advance, but Apples bridge burning has become tiresome. By the time my next mac packs it in, I'll be too old to care. My dedication to music is waning now, I have no intention of dealing with ARM processors considering the mess that Catalina created. I will take Intel to the grave quite happily.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I wonder how people feel who just recently bought a $12000 Intel Mac Pro ?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Not sure it really bothers them somehow.

If they were already able to throw that kind of money in a computer, it is fair to assume that they will do the same thing again. And again.

One of the comments on this thread sums it up real well: Price is not an issue for most of Apple's customers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

like burning graphic cards, broken super drives, fried logic boards, overheating, thermal throtteling and non functional keyboards ?
    :rofl:

paying Apple Care and not being able to fix simple things your stuff is more costs and frustrating in my experience , especially if you are not living in a big city with a Apple Store :) And you need to either send the whole computer via snail mail or drive hours multiple times

Dont get me wrong , I also invested a lot $ in Apple products and I am/was an Apple user since the G5 days when Apple aquired Emagic.The only non faulty 'Mac' I ever used was my first self built Hackintosh (and followed). Anything else looked nice..., well thats it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I have a MBP 2008, and I get daily nag screens that I can't run the next version of telegram on it :)

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

yeah if the software is wriotten for arm :) I doubt that Rosette 2.0 will perform as good.

good point ! but who needs warez if price is not important for the targeted customers ?
    They simply buy any software. :wink:
    Looks like that might become the golden age of macOS developers

I wonder if opengl/cle will be removed either sicne it is also deprecated, that woudl mean that any developer needs to convert their applications to ARM and Metal :) Thats sounds a lot of work.

I wonder if that might lead thatsome developers simply drop the macOS market.
    How big was the market share of macOS in contrast to Windows ?

Time will tell and now make some music :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  7. You simply cannot have a discussion about anything Apple related without somebody turning it into a personal list of grievances that amount to "Apple is overpriced trash"

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

It makes me wonder if Apple's bricking of Intel CPUs for the past few years (ie. the macbook with the cpu fan 3-4 inches away from the cpu) has been so they can go look! It doesn't rocket to 100C anymore! It's amazing!

9. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

im curious to see how and where this goes,
    either its going to make producers and audio workers to stay away from apple (which alot of them wont like or do because they trust them)
    or literally all DAW and plugins developers are gonna have to re-code their stuff and fit themselves into apple, which is whats happening most times, just this time its a big change, this is going to be interesting!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Area51

Area51 Kapellmeister

indeed. for some reason, apple users always buys the most expansive products, regardless of current financial reality or their actual personal needs of that product.

that's because apple was always this way. they have to be the smartasses of the industry. everyone in the industry doing A, they will do B.
    windows are simple to use, just copy paste etc in 5 seconds.
    in apple, you have to load your I-tunes first, then open a bunch of me clouds and other I-crap stuff taking your whole day off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. thecastermaster

thecastermaster Ultrasonic

12. I’ll be watching from a safe distance hoping that they don’t finally release a product where Logic never again gives a “disk too slow" message. But you're right. How many developers are going to do the math as say it's just not worth it. I'll always be a Logic user, but I'm acutely aware it's sliding down the list of DAWs and is barely holding its own against Studio One and Reaper on the Mac platform. I really don't know the stats on what percentage Macs have in the audio market. Most film guys I've worked with use Final Cut. But I can't say they were big budget producers. One positive that may come out of this, is that if my setup has reached its "singularity"....it's peak of development....I can stop collecting software and write some songs.

• List
  13. Ummmmm? I've never had to do any of that. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Area51

Area51 Kapellmeister

Apple are the weirdos of the industry. I cannot undrestand why people actually keep buying their crap.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. I cannot understand people who say they cannot undrestand.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. albert001

albert001 Producer

It could be the case, that this thing will out-perform any x86 platform, because of Fixed-Functions!?
    I see a lot of them in the presentation, and other companies doing this as well, some directly in logic of the processor and some as co-processors truth a high-bandwidth pipeline(Could Also Be Just Very Good Hardware Compression).
    I think this is the future, a lot of dedicated fixed functions will always out-perform higher clocks!
    Just think about it, developers could program their software directly at a hardware level, without the need to go truth an OS-Subsystem...!

• List
  17. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

recap:
    anything will be fine for at least for the next 7 years , even for Hackintosh

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

As comical as it is to see developers only recently getting stuff running on Catalina only to face yet another completely new system (seriously how long ago did Catalingus come out?), we are still stuck with 2 options.. Fingers crossed on things like the new Google OS but anything outside of Windows or Mac seems too far to bank on.

19. SimonD

SimonD Member

Apple becoming the tech version of Seattle's CHAZ/CHOP no-go zone....

20. How so?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2020