Apple Has Demonstrated They Don't Care About Computer Musicians [GET A PC]

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Config, Dec 16, 2018.

1. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

I will never get back to Windows .. 14 years there.. man.. that System really sucks.. everything is a problem in windows..
    in mac os no problems... not a single one.. i spend my time working in music.. not fixing the fu..king system.. that at any moment for strange reasons could go down.. no matter if I will have to use sierra for the next 15 years... in a hackintosh. will never get back to windows.. I prefer to retire from music.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

but--- yeah... apple is not getting cheppear.. the rest it is ok.. no problem for me..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Dear folks. :)

I've been a computer technician for more than 20 years and used a dozen of different OSes since I started using computers [for games lol] in primary school. That taught me you shouldn't get attached to a specific computer or the OS too much, because at some point you are going to become your own enemy and a pest to other people. One should be able to look at the big picture and let go what needs to be let go for your own benefit, and other's benefit. Just be reasonable and try to think straight. :wink:

I've been an active member on Slashdot since late 90's, same time I joined KvR and Gearslutz. My job is far more technical than I want it to be, but what can I do? It seems I have a knack for tech stuff, so why fight it. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that a reality check will tell you that no computer company ever cared about musicians. The least Microsoft and Apple! They are corporations which are solely interested in *profit*. Get that etched into your brain. :wink:

The only computer company I know of that *somewhat* cared about musicians is Atari. They had built a computer with a built in MIDI interface that still has better MIDI timing than most of the modern MIDI interfaces today, especially USB ones.

Prepare for a shock now...

The good, very experienced computer people at Slashdot, are clearly mostly in favour of Linux these days, because what they realised is that since Microsoft, Apple, and Google and all other shitty computer corporations are only interested in profit, operating systems themselves are being neglected and being used to make as much profit from them as they can by closing them down, upholding proprietary standards, and putting ads everywhere. Both Microsoft and Apple don't care about their OSes that much any more, but for as long as people will put up with being fucked up their bottoms with their profit games, they will maintain them. As soon as their shareholders say "there's not enough profit in it any more", they will have to shut down their OSes. :wow: Think about it. Don't believe me? You'll see.

That's why any sane computer user today should give Linux, or any other Unix OS a try, because you will have to, sooner or later. These OSes are the only ones that don't depend on profit, and that fact alone makes them absolutely superior and impervious even to societal changes. Be prepared, don't be a fanboy of corporations, for your own sake. :wink:

Regarding computer hardware, just buy what you can afford, and install the OS that serves you best. Any computer hardware can run any OS perfectly fine! :headbang:

By doing this,

They make you think you should join one or the other, and that there's no other choice. Just like Republicans and Democrats in the USA. They tell you there's shit and lesser shit, in hope you won't be able to see the chocolate. Think and become able to see the chocolate!

Think Different! :headbang: :rofl:But for real.

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Gosh this brought memories... so fun to watch. Enjoy!

List of the computers I've used: Spectrum 48K, Commodore 64, Atari 1040ST, Atari Mega 4, Amiga 500, Macintosh Quadra 650... and then went PC [Windows, and both Windows and Linux since 2013] all the way. You can choose all the parts yourself! Flexible to the bone. Loved it and still love the concept! :love: All these computers before PC were not upgradable and you had to buy a new model if you wanted to upgrade. It's like Apple computers still are. Planned obsolescence in the name of profit. Making the 1% even richer. That's sad. :sad:

I really like MacOS. I really do. My wife uses it for daily work, and I don't because it's less efficient with VST plugins than Windows 7. Simple. I could use it for daily work, but I use Linux because it makes me feel better, more free and not dependant on any capitalist profit scheme. To me it's easier to use than Windows, but a bit harder than MacOS. I'm never going to use anything newer from MS than Windows 7, for audio, I mean. Windows died for me with Windows 8. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. pentagram1

pentagram1 Noisemaker

Sad stuff, these kind of endless rants, threads. Buy a computer. Buy a DAW. Make music. The end-user doesn't give a f*ck what platform you use, or whether you're using an analog synth or a plugin, etc. SO what matters most: your user experience, and what your music sounds like.

Am happy with the Mac, and the OS. And Logic X. But if you use something else, and your music is great... that makes me happy too. Otherwise...zzzzzzzzzzz......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Operating systems and computers are boring shit. I completely agree. :sad:

That's why I lately find myself jamming without them to feel more fulfilling. That's probably why creative people with *money* are going the analogue way. Hardware just works. And there's no ads, or optimisations to perform, no struggle with corporate/profit crap. :rofl: You just create your music without having to deal with the corporate shit. :mad:

But not everybody is able to do that. :sad: People should be able to do music on their computers freely, without any obstacles, in the most efficient way especially because they cannot afford to have i9s with 64GB of memory, TBs of SSD and stuff like that.

7. teknomix

teknomix Kapellmeister

oh god, again... if you make good music with your computer, don't care if that are a pc or mac... it's a fan boy discussion... again...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

That's for an iMac Pro, and it's $6,000 -- which is about right, as it's the same basic processor as their $5,000 thingamabob that replaced their Mac Pro tower and a built-in 27" 5K monitor. And if I read it correctly, it also has an 8TB flash hard drive. That's still too much goddamn money, though. You can get a tricked-out 4K 27" iMac with an i7 quad-core, 64 GBs of RAM and a 1TB SSD for about half that and probably not miss a goddamn thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

so what year did you switch?

10. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I'm not getting into the Mac vs PC thing. But I will say I disagree with the title. How can you say Apple doesn't care about musicians when Logic is continually and comprehensively being updated with regularity? It's probably the best value for money DAW when you consider its massive content of sounds, instruments, effects and loops. Apples Logic team are clearly not sitting idle while their flagship DAW falls into decline. It continues, year after year to place in the top three DAW's in all major online and print polls.
    Edit: Major hint from third party industries. Have you seen any of them dropping Audio Unit support due to this supposed music division being on life support?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah it's sad people on a music forum talking about music stuffs. Bouh, bouh.
    What's the difference between the mac and pc debate, the daws debate, the best comp debate, best eq debate...etc ?
    None. This is the kind of talk you'll find on this type of forum. It has several sections. If you prefer "philosophical" discussions with Foster feel free to go there. There are many beats release by members if you're more confortable discussing creations of others. You can hang in the chatroom, or even better create the thread of your dream about higher level things, like the beauty of the wood used for violas, or whatever fun talks you wanna have.
    But this interesting topic created by the OP is about how shitty macs are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

13. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

Fixed that for you.

14. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

All I know is after inadvertently replacing a superdrive and vid card to 2gb my 2008 mac seems to be acting like a new computer (upgrades under $200). The issue was mainly a pair of unmatched ram thanks to a blunder from a distributor. The upgrades were cheap though and now I'm testing with some heavy softwares and handling beyond expectations. Tested on graphic intensive games also on highest settings. Pretty sure they're going to have to bury me with this mac pro when I upgrade from this life :like:

15. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

that was the year Windows began to be stable for video editing and audio through Windows 7. Around 2012 windows became stable, even though most people jumped over that crappy (in design) Windows 8 release. Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are excellent for creative persons if you do a little bit of research before buying hardware. Especially the driver for the audio interface

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

Apple is very cool and powerful. I use to have an Apple sticker on the back of my car. I have latest iPhones too, wow it's a technology monster! I Love it.
    Please guys I need to send an attachment but can't, I use gmail, someone can help me? how to do it? sh1t!

17. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Hate Apple! They think people are idiots. Selling anything for a high price, and no respect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

which is roughly same illegal as using MacOS on a PC, so again it's a matter of geeky user, not professional business studio

19. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

meanwhile Microsoft fcks things up beyond Apple xD

20. TW

TW Guest

Sure! It is the deal of the Millenium!
    Apple Mac mini (2018) - Core i5 3.0 GHz
    • 8 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
    • Intel UHD Graphics 630
    • 256 GB SSD
    Only 1250 bucks!

Only the CPU and the SSD are soldered to the board! You are able to upgrade the RAM !!! The video/audio circles waited for ages for such an awesome deal! Because we all know you need a fancy looking mac mini that comes in a fancy looking box if you are in the video/audio circles. Very important.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List