Apple emulator to run Apple OSX software in Windows

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Does anything like this exist? I've never head of it, but wondering why it doesn't exist yet? Surely there is demand there, especially with Logic and Final Cut.

I'm just wondering because you have 'enablers' and/or emulators on OSX in the form of things like Wine and Crossover that allow you to run certain Windows software within OSX. FL Studio was operated in this way recently when going through it's OSX betas until they got to a native OSX version.

I know there is virtual machine software, but this is different and nowhere near as complicated as needing to set up and run a machine within your machine etc. I'm surprised that there is nothing yet that works almost like how Bitwig uses it's plugins, i.e. that Windows users can't open Apple software in a standalone environment or 'emulation window' of sorts.

Just wondering, that's all...

3. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

it does. ,its called parallels , it works like a virtual machine but also integrates in your os

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Isn't Parallels Mac only for running Windows software? Which is the opposite of what I am talking about.

5. nobodyspecial

my bad sorry

6. willnubu75

willnubu75 Ultrasonic

Virtual Box

7. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Like my original post said, uncomplicated method without needing to set up and start up an entire new computer as a machine within a machine. I believe this is what VirtualBox is, just the same as VMware etc.

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is missing the point. I do not want to run OSX. I am simply querying as to why hasn't anyone yet developed an app that will run OSX apps. Essentially a standalone sandbox to run the OSX software WITHOUT it being an entire virtual machine, in the way things like Wine and Crossover do on the Mac, allowing you to run Windows .exe files, for example, on the Mac without needing an entire virtual Windows machine set up.

I am fully aware of things like VMware, Parallels, VirtualBox and so on, but these are all creating virtual computers rather than sandboxing an app within it's own shell.

10. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Because of very low demand. I mean windows has much more apps than osx. Windows has tons of interesting apps that are not available on osx or linux.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I know exactly what you mean.
    Forget about it.
    A virtual machine is about the best you can get, at least I know no better solution if you want to run it on the same OS.
    The thing is that the OSX kernel is more like FreeBSD and has little in common with the Windows kernel, also the system library APIs are completely different.
    A solution like Wine (and its commercial variant Parallels) is the result of a lot of "labour of love", and while there's enough users worldwide who are interested in running Windows programs, the number of Windows users who are desperate to run Mac apps are few in comparison. Logic, FCPX, camera raw conversion, well yes, but being a 50/50 Win and Mac user, I can say that there aren't many Mac apps that do not have a cheaper and better Windows equivalent.
    In other words, I guess that too few coders are interested in doing it.

Why not use both machines? Syncing them shouldn't be an issue. :winker:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

Maybe better ask here for equivalent of software you want be sandboxed. Im sure you can find ton of it.

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

These were the ones I was thinking about, as most non-Mac users would.

I used to double boot my machine with Windows 10 and OSX via tonymacx86s methods, but that was a few years ago now (probably around Lion/Mountain Lion time). Mac used to corrupt my NTFS data on shared drives, tried to reformat as exFAT (to get bigger than 4GB files onboard) but performance didn;t seem as good as on NTFS. Also installing and reinstalling the same software and plugins and such on both OSs to be able to share stuff just became a bit tedious. No idea if the situation has improved by now?

14. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Intel chip and vmware with mac patch. Or hackintosh. The most complicated part is their dmca. You are allow to use osx only on their hardware. This shouldn't be surprise. That's why proper "emulator" does not exist. There are rumors that the guy who was developing method to run mac apps on linux was stopped by apple's lawyers. F!ck apple. Logic doesn't worth pain like this. You can sandbox mac apps only with an actual mac os.

15. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Best thing to do in situations like that is install Paragon NTFS on OSX instead of using exFAT. You can also install Paragon HFS on Windows to read Mac drives if need be.

But no, there's no way to gracefully solve the problem of running a dual setup (whether dual-boot or VM, etc.) and all that it entails.

I say let Apple starve behind their walled garden. There really isn't that much exclusive OSX software worth all the strife and almost everything good as far as applications go can export to a file format that can be read on PC, so...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  16. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@Bunford: Have you "hacked" (mount -rw) your OSX to enable NTFS write support or have you used a 3rd party driver like Paragon?

17. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Afaik no. If you want the same UX, You 'll need to run a VM, then run say teamviewer to share/capture a window.

Decent alternatives exist, like premiere pro & reaper.

18. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

Let's say I only want to use stock Logic's instruments and effects, how is Reaper a decent alternative then ?

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Just install macOS, at its best on a separate SSD. Then you get full CPU power without any crappy emulation/virtualisation. Running performance critical things like Logic or FCP on an Virtual System will only get you problems.

20. nobodyspecial

I went to Mac and I never worked in a stable environment as now. Windows can't run Mac stuff, but Mac can run Windows stuff..... so if you want both worlds , OSX is the answer

21. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Not gonna happen. Apple doesn't want you to do this. Even mobile developers for iOS who prefer working on Windows need to buy an Apple device (iMac/MacBook) and connect to it remotely to make apps for iOS/OSX. Besides, even if somebody attempted doing a project like this (which is highly unlikely), it'll be a matter of hours before Apple takes it down. Your only options are Hackintosh, VirtualBox and remote desktop real hardware. Oh, and if you're asking because of Final Cut Pro, Logic or something like that... you're going nowhere. Go Apple or go Hackintosh. You're not going to get enough performance from VMs/virtualization to edit videos anyway.