Apple drops Quick Time support.Steinberg responds.

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Von_Steyr, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

This might have been already posted here?
    Saw it on the Steinberg forum.

Apple has announced that they will no longer support their QuickTime technology while further vulnerabilities have been surfacing around QuickTime. We are well aware of Apple’s deprecation of QuickTime owing to the problems that come with QuickTime’s use when running Windows operating systems.
    Please take note that we shall not assume any responsibility for issues that derive from running the QuickTime technology under Windows.
    We are currently working on a solution that bypasses the necessity of QuickTime in our software applications and hope to provide this in maintenance updates shortly

Curious if Cubase 9 will drop QT and replace it with its own player, have no idea why they havent done that already.

Edit;Latest Steinberg reponse from 26.10.2016

Dear forum-members,

For several months, Steinberg has been working on a new video engine for its DAW products Cubase and Nuendo. As you might already know, this change is necessary due to Apple’s discontinuation of the QuickTime technology, and we would now like to share the current status of development with you.

Since we are developing a new engine from scratch, we have set ourselves three primary goals:
    - to provide support for the most often used video standards,
    - to achieve solid video playback stability,
    - and to make this engine as independent as possible from particular technologies.

Our current project status shows that we are on schedule to achieve all three milestones. We have completed the architectural reconstruction of the engine. We have completed development concerning memory management. We have started implementing the video codecs, with ProRes, H.264 and DV/DVCPro already done.

While we already have made good progress in achieving important technical milestones, we have not yet completed the development. Our primary goal is to finish the implementation of all remaining video codecs by the end of this year before initiating an elaborate testing scenario that should result in achieving highest playback stability. The latter will start mid of January and we hope to complete the testing phase by end of February. This will enable us to provide the new video engine still in Q1 2017, which would be in accordance with the current schedule. Consequently, the engine will be available for future releases of Cubase/Nuendo and in cost-free maintenance updates for current Cubase Pro 8.5.x/Nuendo 7.0.x versions.

Best Regards,
    Timo

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I heard Apple dropped support cos they didn't want people using their product for free in the upcoming Xmas Cubase scene release :winker:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I bet you read that in wired.
    [​IMG]

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

that cover should be against the law.... :snuffy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

It probably is, but who gives a fuck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

OWWWWW! MY EYES! I cant unsee that. Thanks a lot @Von_Steyr

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Balmer to head McDonald's :rofl:

9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

sure they aren't afraid he would eat into the profits.. heavily? :bleh:

10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Too late.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yall just fucking up my thread now.
    I will report you to Mickey Rourke.
    [​IMG]

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I`ve got to say though that AS is just the best forum, you can go from serious to ridiculous.
    Not many forums with so many smart,talented and funny people, you guys are the shit.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Mickey Rourke... why does everyone always forget poor ol' Minnie Rourke... ??

minnie rourke.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Pretty sweet. I hate quicktime. I saw just the other day that they were working on this. I'm glad I can do this kind of stuff in-DAW, not really a fan of video editors. The two that I've tried don't do audio in fine enough resolution to align recorded sound to my satisfaction. Thanks for sharing.

P.S.
    You be nice to Ron Pearlman. What's wrong with you? He's not hurting anybody.

edit: except maybe that dog with that retarded haircut. That poor thing looks like it'd be right at home with a "please kill me" thought bubble. Shame on you, Mickeypearlman

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  15. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

depressed dog.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer