app for retrieving renamed files

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2poor2, Oct 2, 2014.

1. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

i need to compare some folders, to know which files are duplicated, or don't exist, etc.

i would like an app that can list all the existing files in the folders that are being compared, if some files in the folder A and its subfolders also exist in the folder B and its subfolders, which ones are in the folder A, or folder B, etc etc.

i know file detective, but it doesn't do what i need. i have beyond compare, but again, not what i need.

do you know any app that could search several folders and files, by the filename, date, etc, but also with the hash, byte comparison , size, etc etc.

i need it for a couple of tasks, but more important, for retrieving- comparing sample-audio files. if a file house-lps-perc-128-fantastic_best-sample-library-synth_modular33.wav was renamed like: houseloop30.wav and exists in other folders-partitions-network-etc,
    but is still the same file, with the same size, etc, i would like to be able to find them.

what would you guys use ? even if the app scans file by file, its hash, etc, no problemo.

3. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

*no* You forgot 1 important thing:
    For MAC or PC-Windows?
    :phones:

4. korgrog

korgrog Member

let me help ,,,let me help

ViceVersa Pro 2 TGRMN Software - Build 2014

should be able to find it somewhere

TeraCopy ,,,,, codesector.com/ another great app for copying moving CRC checking

find this somewhere also

hope it helps :grooves: :bow: *yes* :wink: :thumbsup: :dancing: :mates:

for PC ,,,they make a different kind of computer :bleh: :rofl: :dunno:

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Try this one, is having a powerful compare tool for folders and subfolders [ https://www.syncovery.com ]. I don't know if it will track renamed files though.

6. mono

mono Audiosexual

Here is a other program that has a bit of everything ,

http://www.yamicsoft.com/

Information: Optimizer: Cleaner: < Customization: Security: Network: Misc. Utilities:

you can use the demo for a few weeks.

Cleaner:

Duplicate Files Finder can scan your computer for files with the same size,
    name and modification time; Registry Cleaner checks and repair incorrectly linked Registry entries;
    Registry Defrag rebuilds and re-indexes your Registry to reduce registry access time
    and therefore improve application responsiveness;

It works great for music pc. Just make sure ( not ) to use the Optimization wizard or 1-click cleaner,
    and if you can, make a backup copy of all the folders your trying to fix just in case,
    =====================================
    its hard to see green on the screen :excl:

Windows 8 64bit - Cubase 7.5 64bit - Google Chrome 64bit - Notepad 64bit - Calc 64bit

7. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Not only copy move with CRC checking, but also just CRC check.

Example: Drive A should be same as B, but you dont know if something went wrong, teracopy A to B, skip if exist, verify. Now you just do CRC compare of all stuff. If some file got corrupt, different CRC and you know which it is now. Real good program, best copy move imo.

But i dont know if it help with what this op needs.

8. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

a few weeks ago, i decided to put that info as my signature. now, i need to find a way to make it blink :)

9. KingSchlongXVII

KingSchlongXVII Member

Can anyone please recommend an app for Mac that can do this? I'm wondering how many doubles or renamed copies I've got on my HD.

10. Alraun

Alraun Member

I can recommend "Duplicate File Detective" for Mac.

11. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

LOL
    Changing the color to a stronger one may do the trick. Light green is not the most eye catchy.

12. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

what about now ? :rofl:

13. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

thanks guys for the tips
    i tried some of your apps, but they are more on the "copy-move files" than "duplicates find".
    i already knew some of the copy apps, that i use for many many years.

i know file locator , tree size, everything(really cool app, creates a db of ALL the files on the computer, that will eat up 5-10-20 mb of ram, depending how many billion files you have, and then, you just type some letters, it returns the results from the database, instantly, instead of scanning the harddrives), duplicator file detective, etc etc.

but i'd really want something that could :
    - read folder A and B content
    -display all files on folders A and B
    -display files in folder A that aren't in folder B (or vice versa)
    - find duplicate files, even if the SAME file is named Supercoolmegaedmloop.wav in folder A, and in folder B, the same file was renamed FILE456.wav. the app should be able to detect that the files are the same, by checking its size, byte by byte, and eventuelly, the hash.

14. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

How about you use some software to make tree view dump (even cmd maybe) with file location, name, size, date created, date modified, whatever is important to you.

Do this for each location, then use simple compare tool, like ultra edit, it will highlight what is different.

Its not 1 tool simple, but i think it will be results you are looking for.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Waowww we cant miss it now !!!! :rofl:

16. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

thanks alotss

17. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

Glad the idea helped.

Disk Explorer Pro (freeware) can export HTML, Tab seperated items, and XML.

Maybe use DEP make two catalogue, export each to XML with File Size, then you could in XML sort by name, and also by size, to see what files have same size for compare?

If not, I think now its time for duplicate file finder, maybe here give some ideas:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-duplicate-file-remover.htm

Sorry, no first hand experience with these, maybe someone else does. It says remover, but they have options to show results, read carefully before you click stuff!

Some in that list seem nice, one of them is only 888kb and portable, even have win/linux/mac versions too.