app for renaming files-folders via contextual menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2poor2, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

hi good and nice people,
    here is a little question, i hope it will be in the right place on the forum. maybe i whould write in on "misc". in advance, my appologies , dear Mods, if i made this thread on the wrong place.

so here it is. i am looking for a simple app, that would let me replace the . _ - from a folder or file name, whether is 1 file/folder or +50.
    several years ago, i remember having installed an app ,like renamer, that would put an entry on the windows shell, and via a right clic, i could do my stuff and delete/replace the char i wanted. but i have already installed some apps, even renamer, but none of them have given me the famous shell option, or the contextuel menu.

normally, for huge batch renaming, i use "bulk rename": on of these tools it is impossible to live without, specially when we have plenty of files to rename, like sample libraries. i know it is possible to use it via command lines, but the few times i tested it, the windows 8 user account level wouldn't let me launch the command prompt from other apps not started with admin rights. maybe i should give it a try, and create some rules, so i can add an entry on the registry-folder and * extensions, to have the extra item "bulk rename- rule replace _ by a space", as an example.

otherwise, do you guys know a simple app that would do it, in a simple way ? all i want is clicking on a file/s or folder/s named, ex. super_edm_mega_pack_really_cool_best_one ever, right clic, contextuel menu "replace _ by space", or "replace. by space", and it's done.

there are millions of these little tools, but there are surely a few that really work well and are not intrusive, cpu hog, etc, that you guys must be using. so if you can help me, it offer you a virtual beer :)
    remember, i must be able to select several files or folders at once, and replace, delete or add characters. and if i can specify where i want to insert my string, it is a bonus.

an if there is someone that knows how to use bulk rename via command lines, i would appreciate any help :mates:

a MASSIVE HUGE thanks, in advance.

3. Dazeon

Dazeon Ultrasonic

I use these 2 tools for automatic file renaming:
    Ant Renamer.
    Flash Renamer.

4. lowpass

lowpass Newbie

if you're on a mac, use the good old automator. Threre are several tutorials out there on how to do the trick (But it is self explaining). If you're on a PC, trash your PC, buy a Mac...and smile the whole day long ;)

5. recycle

recycle Guest

I'm on mac: never used automator. I use "A Better Finder Rename 9"

very true

6. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

If your on Mac destroy it and be happy the worst buy in my life period
    What a crappy system renaming files and folder is much easyer on PC and rarpacking also much esyer well EVERYTHING is much easyer on a PC buy a PC be happy buy a mac be an idiot and i just became one after i bought my Mac

7. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

No very false expensive shit that is useless buy a PC for half the price with better specs

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've been using "Bulk rename", too. :wink:

9. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

bulk rename is one of those bombs i can't live without. just like file locator pro, which can scan terabytes of data in a couple of minutes, and then, everything remains in RAM, and if we search something, it takes 2-3 seconds to scan all those files.
    just installed flash renamer, the shell extension doesn't work on 64bit file explorer apps. too bad.

my main goal is, for example:

i have one folder, with sub folders:
    perc
    file1.wav
    file2.wav
    file3.wav
    file4.wav
    file5.wav
    Tom
    file1.wav
    file2.wav
    file3.wav
    file4.wav
    file5.wav
    hihat
    file1.wav
    file2.wav
    file3.wav
    file4.wav
    file5.wav
    clap
    file1.wav
    file2.wav
    file3.wav
    file4.wav
    file5.wav

i would like to have an app, with some rules, like "add prefix 'Tom ' ", or "add prefix 'hihat' "...

and then, on my file locator pro app, i make a global search (all fixed drives) "Tom" and i tick "display folders only".
    so, once file locator pro finds all the folders named "tom", with file1.wav, file2.wav, file3.wav, etc, i would like to do a right clic on those files, no matter where they are located, and call my rule "add prefix 'Tom'. now, those files, instead of having dumb names, they will have a Tom, hihat, loop, single hit, house, arp, tambourine, etc etc, or whatever name i want them to have.
    the final goal ? in cubase, when i use the mediabay to display all the scanned files, if i type "tom" on the filter/search field, the files i renamed adding the prefix "tom" will now appear as results. otherwise, how could the app know that a file called file1.wav is actually a tom or a hihat... you see what i mean ?

with these technique and the contextual menus/options, i could rename a 2000 file library in just a few seconds. i already have libraries correctly tagged, and it is a real pleasure, when i type "loop perc 128", and have my files appearing in the result list. and i am sure they are exactly what i am looking for.
    it takes time, but a well organized sample library, is just a huge pleasure to work with, later on, when we need some files, ideas, loops, etc.

Sinewave, are you using the bulk rename command line ?
    i should spend a couple of hours to try to make it work. if it works, i will then make a nice tutorial for everybody. who doesn't want a perfectly tagged sample library, instead of sound1, sound2, loop24, etc etc.

10. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Métamorphose by Ianare Sévi - best software for renaming (not sure about OSX compatibility)

11. lowpass

lowpass Newbie

yeah man. On our mac we have a simple tool called "spotlight" which does exactly the same. The only difference: spotlight works along with OSX out of the box :rofl:

It's a part of the osx "finder", the equivalent of the good old ms explorer, which is shitty as hell ;)

12. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

since i moved to Mac i will never go back to Windows,Mac is the real deal.

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

useless for you and not for me people that use,love Mac,period.

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]

What does another trite mac vs. win debate have anything to do with the ops question?

McCookie please state your OS when posting so we know how best to assist you.

15. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

You're absolutely right and therefore the "Macs are from the heavens" conversation was even more irrelevant than usual. Also made me want to vomit but that's a different story. [​IMG]

17. gatus

gatus Kapellmeister

use Total Commander multi rename tool http://www.ghisler.com/ :wink:

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Yeah I totally forgot about Total Commander for a second, great application.

19. 9zEA8wHJ7jWG

9zEA8wHJ7jWG Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2021