Apogee Symphony ECS Channel Strip plug-in (NAMM 2021)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by odod, Jan 22, 2021.

1. odod

odod Rock Star

[​IMG]

HIGHLIGHTS

• Channel Strip format offering multiple effects in one plugin.
    • Vintage-modeled 3-band EQ
    • Clearmountain-tuned Compressor with Auto Makeup
    • Saturation from subtle gain to warm crush
    • Flexible High-Pass
    • DualPath flexibility with Symphony Desktop
    • Please note: This plugin is included with your Symphony Desktop purchase
    In-Depth
    EQ – The Channel Strip’s EQ is based on vintage 1970’s hardware EQ that’s simple but potent, so you can dial in your sound with ease. Switch the high pass filter to the compressor sidechain for aggressive compression without pumping.

Compressor – With parameters tuned by legendary mixer Bob Clearmountain, the compressor offers foolproof gain reduction with just the essential controls. Parallel compression is easy using the included Mix knob.

Saturation – Add the finishing touch to your sound with variable levels of saturation, from subtle volume boosting through crunchy and exciting to full-on crush.

Flexible Workflows with Symphony Desktop – The ECS Channel Strip runs both on Symphony Desktop on-board hardware DSP and as a native plugin in your DAW, opening an array of innovative and flexible workflows. Commit to your processing with Print FX mode or set up DualPath monitoring for zero latency recording with the ECS Channel Strip.

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Apogee FX-Plugins DEMO now available for download. Requires an iLok account to TRY/Activate.
    • EQP-1A (Pulteq)
    • MEQ-5 (Pulteq)
    • ModComp
    • ModEQ
    • Opto-3A (LA-3A)
    • Symphony ECS Channel Strip
    Channel strip is resource hungry. VST3 version is the worst (don't think it is fully optimized for Windows 10).
    VST2 version works much better. 8 instances at 3% load each. Both versions had PDC of zero.

Other plugins in the demo suite allow for multiple instances with what seems to be normal CPU loads.

May try ECS on Mac Book Air (Logic Pro), once I have finished testing on 19 track Windows 10 Reaper project.

4. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Nice suite. Would compare to plugins that come with Logic Pro X. Basically very good stock plugins. ECS Channel & the Pulteq clones do add some character that is more noticeable across multiple tracks (additive).

Also looking to try on my Mac at some point. Hope all goes well. Hate installing iLok just to use demos.

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Installed ECS Channel Strip on Mac Book Air. Used on 16 (real) instrument tracks. CPU never went above 30% at system spike.
    Did not bother with other FX as Logics FX are more than adequate.

Had a similar issue (from Windows VST2 version) with delay of ECS becoming active. Did not seem to get the same additive/accumulative effect of multiple plugins in Logic. Drive distorted bass more easily for some reason.

Overall not that impressed by ECS Channel Strip. Very generic compared to most stock plugins (IMO).

Still testing the ApogeeFX-Plugins bundle on Windows. Want to try on various sessions before making a final decision.

Happy tracking!

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

The GUI looks like it was designed in 1998: completely ugly.

Let's just hope it sounds better than it looks.

7. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

especially those leds, yikes...

i'm one of those who actually appreciate a plugins's interface, and a realistic one... puts a smile on my face, can't explain it, but it's almost refreshing and soothing, makes the process a lot easier and fun.

8. HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny Ultrasonic

Do Apogee make good plugins? I had never heard of their plugs, they have a pultec emu too

Im sure they kind of suck ass compared to other devs:rofl:
    They are making 15 clearmountain plugins? Wow, i see there is even one emulating Bobs stale old bad breath.
    Guys, he was a good drum recorder and mixer.. i dont want his vintage reverbs and mastering chains form the 80s and cant believe the market has space for it.

I guess im just jaded cos waves keeps putting out shitty artist plugins, and those Trident EQ plugins have to be the biggest disaster i have ever witnessed online, apart from what a pile o shit analog obsession was

Apogee make nice converters,
    Just like Trident made nice hardware consoles.
    That doesnt facking mean you should be looking to them to develop plugins in-house!
    A brand name licensing fee cashgrab VS a good sounding, useful tool

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I find this pink ugly, why on earth use pink?
    the rest of the gui looks good, i mean look on teh trident audio plugs, those have a gui like a synthedit plugin from 2004.
    Seems to be normal to make shitty gui for expensive plugins? :deep_facepalm:

10. morris

morris Ultrasonic

the pultec is at least uad level

11. HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny Ultrasonic

And UAD is nothing special these days when there is everyhting else

12. Voekit

Voekit Producer

Analog Obsession refurbished Pultec EQ is UAD level too.:rofl:

13. morris

morris Ultrasonic

Lol nah

14. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

This just bugs the fuck outta me.... D/A conversion is already an Olympic sized pool filled w/ snake oil & now they wanna sell ice to eskimos.... I owned a Symphony 8 years ago. Not a gnat fart of a difference compared to an old $300 Motu interface. Y’all can throw numbers up and prove me wrong about how much less jitter, THD specs bla bla bla. But end of the day not a single one of you would be able to tell the difference w/a gun to your head between a boutique top shelf converter & a SoundBlaster 16. Not even that annoying prick Bob Katz or Captain douchebag CLA.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  15. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

It’s purple... But ya, Still fucking ugly