Apogee Duet vs. Audient ID14/22 in home studio?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Highdom, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi guys, I've an Apogee Duet audiocard in my home studio, but I think it's too professional for my studio. So I am thinking about selling it and buy an Audient ID14 or ID22.
    As monitor, I use KRK Rokit and Yamaha HS8 in a treated (more or less) room.

Do I feel the difference between Apogee and Audient?

3. TW

TW Guest

In terms of latency/driver probably yes. In terms of ADDA/quality probably not. Will you be able to work with the audient? Yes...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2018
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

If you really want to change the interface I would go for Zoom UAC-2, because it's USB 3.0 and probably faster than the Audient, but only has 1 output, or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, which is faster than the Audient and even cheaper than the iD14.

5. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

I was thinking about how to link my audio card to two different pair of monitors...I see audient 22 has 2 stereo lines out...
    Can I do this monitor setup in UAC or Scarlett?
    What is ADDA? I’ve never tried to change my audio card...what difference can I really notice in the sound coming out?
    Thanks!

6. TW

TW Guest

Audio to digital and digital to audio convertion. ADDA

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

With the UAC-2 not, with Scarlett 2i4 and above yes.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. TW

TW Guest

The audient has really really good converters and preamp specs for its price range. Even for higher priced interfaces than the audient. You can make professional music with it for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Jeffriezal

Jeffriezal Producer

If you already have Apogee Duet and want to control more than a pair of a monitor. All you need is a monitor control. I think the cheapest you can get is Mackie Big Knob Passive. Well, it much cheaper cost rather than to switch to Audient, even tho I prefer Audient ID22 over Duet. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

iD22 seems great as a HQ input and monitor control. What I see as cons are - why "only" 96 kHz (although I never recorded anything above that) and not the fastest regarding round trip latency. Audient just pushed out the iD44 and are in this occasion(?) rewriting software/drivers. The same drivers should then be available for iD22 too (the info is not on their web page, but I think it was posted on FB or.. anyway, latency should improve). Just something to keep an eye on.. :yes:

Edit: from FB - "Audient iD22 and iD14 will both get the new iD mixer software and the features that come with it (where applicable)! You should also see a boost in low latency performance too!" (comment under iD44)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Yes, as advised above, use this to hook up two sets of monitors on-the-cheap :

MACKIE BIG KNOB Passive - $69.99
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigKnobPass

AUDIENT id22 would be a good option now (due to their proposed RTL driver update) if you're determined to spend the money.