API 5500 Dual Equalizer vs AMS Neve 8803 Dual Channel EQ

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by TW, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TW

TW Guest

Hey a friend of mine who run a quite good local studio is selling a lot of his hardware.

I sold most of my hardware (never had that much highend hardware) a view years ago and went into the box.
    I want to buy a bit hardware again.

I allready bought my distressor from him back which I sold sold him that time. I could get the above mentioned EQs quite cheap. Which 1 should I get? Which one is more versetail?

Gear I use at the momnent. SPL Channel one MK 2 , Spl goldmike, GAP pre 73 and GAP EQ 73 ( mainly for mobile recording), WA76 and the mentioned distressor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  3. haha

haha Ultrasonic

Well, the 8803 is obviously much more flexible. It has q controls and filters. But if you love the API sound the 5500 also gives you repeatability by having stepped controls.

4. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I use 4x 8803 on a regular basis and can say they are great to use and have a wonderful musical sound.

Best way to compare is sit in your friends studio for a day and A+B them, just remember though your friends room won't be acoustically the same as yours.

5. Both are great units. The Neve is cool because of the easy recall. If you need that and can't live without that, +1 for Neve. The Great River is already a classic and would be (will be) my choice for my dream Vox chain.

6. TW

TW Guest

so much love for the neve. On gearslutz people also said go with the neve. To be honest i am quite happy in the box. And i could live on without an outboard eq. But like i said quite cheap. I am sure i can sell the unit for the price i buy it now easily if i don t like it. Which i doubt. My friend says buy them both. You need both!

So i ll get the neve...
    thx