Aphex Twin - T69 Collapse

Discussion in 'Music' started by bluerover, Aug 11, 2018.

1. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

AFX delivered..

WARNING: CONTAINS STROBING!!!

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. dtmd

dtmd Platinum Record

unbounded love for the "guy" (magnum opus); but..
    isn't new stuff, a bit stale, over(ab)used, unduly stereotypical..?

stay away from hard stuff, james..

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

unduly? yes, he has been treading water and surviving because of the die hards fans.
    hup to a point he is not discriminating about what he releases. there's good stuff in there for sure, but a lot of is mediocre. for me this all started from Druqs onwards and now the standard aphex release. some touches of genius/invention/beautifully structured but at least 50% of it is a pig in a poke. like only doing an ep with a ciruit bent ancient piece of tat like a stylophone or what not..
    Syro was the same. a massive hype, occasionally interesting but dull and repetitive for the most part ( at least 3 tracks on there use the Amen break, without any hint of irony. and the 'london EP? was awful and probably the last release i will buy. he believes his own hype hence still banging out this uninspired dirge nothing close to the divine moments on richard d james album.
    there is an interview online somewhere ( forget where at the moment) which is Aphex talking to a technician about 'micro tuning' which is apt as his intense concentration on these kinds details means his music overall suffers. i don't ever imagine him making a track that is melodically structured and emotional. he may be capable of amazing technical virtuosity but the music does not move you. or me rather. Still pretty good live but as a listening experience it's all become pretty empty. Venetian Snares is way more interesting. Some of his music makes you laugh, again something that's disappeared from James' stuff.
    windowlicker was probably the last great thing he did.. Some of the Tuss is really good. but analord? Just tedious. i am sure he has made enough good stuff like Come to Daddy. everything after is lifeless and insipid.
    that being said i listen to Polygon Window a lot still : )

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Really?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018