Anyway to use control software on ipad or iphone while staying offline.?

Discussion in 'Software' started by webshark, Feb 22, 2016.

1. webshark

webshark Member

I like to keep my studio computer offline for obvious reasons, is there anyway to use control apps while staying offline? Anyway around this, even when the DAW is set to not go online it doesnt work, which seems obvious i guess.

3. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

care to throw in at least some app-names or names of programs involved in your problem? what exactly do you want to do? Work in a DAW in an iOS-device which is offline?

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

5. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

There's some iOS apps out now that stream MIDI and / or audio between your iOS device and MAC|PC, directly over either the the standard charge-sync cable, or BlueTooth.

The most you need are a client/server app for the PC and no need for any connection to a router.
    - I don't think Mac needs one (?)

These were released last year and more-or-less make devices like the iConnectivity - iConnectMIDI boxes redundant !!

I cannot remember the app names off my head and I'm off to bed now but will add more tomorrow if someone else hasn't already.

6. IllBert

IllBert Producer

Easiest way is to create a virtual wifi hotspot with your computer, that way you can connect all your devices while being offline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. webshark

webshark Member

Hey how do I do this? thanks!

The apps in question are pro tools control, cubase control IC pro, and I might get V-control pro.. But I need to know it wil work before i drop the $$. Also sometimes use the orb on ipad for omnisphere..

8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

use an old WiFi device surly someone u know have laying around since switching providers.
    or take out the the Ethernet cable from your router :rofl:

9. webshark

webshark Member

I think there is a way to just create a virtual network i dont think it needs all that.

10. dlearyus

dlearyus Noisemaker

simply remove your DNS entries from TCPIP settings. the DAW is still on your LAN but not on your WAN. then your control apps can connect to your daw via your router as intended

11. statik

statik Audiosexual

make a 2nd network that doesnt connect to inet

12. barkeeper

barkeeper Member

Not sure whether I get you or not.

But incase I understand you right, you want to control your DAW while it is offline from the internet. All you need is a WiFi router (I use a WRT54G by Linksys) and an ethernet cable which you connect to one of the local ports (1-4), setup your DAW on a fixed IP (not entirely necessary, but makes it way easier to find it with your desired app) and setup your router as an access point. Then you connect to the wireless network that you just set up, use the desired app and now you should be able to remotely control your DAW.

I created this simple solution so I don't have to sit on my creaking office chair while recording violin and guitar, now I can chill on the sofa, connect to my DAW with TightVNC and hit record while sitting/laying/whatever on the most comfy couch on earth :D

Hope this is useful for you!

Greeetings from Germany

13. webshark

webshark Member

Yes this is exactly what I want to do .. I have a network already which I keep disabled most of time as its the internet network now i just need one not connected to the net for this purpose can u guys guide me trough or or link me to video or something? Thanks guys!

14. webshark

webshark Member

Ok so apprently the control app should just work over the network connection and the internet doesnt need to be on but the problem is I have the daw blocked from accessing internet .. Anyway around it guys?

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Click the WiFi symbol, Create Network, Create Computer-to-computer network,
    then attach your iDevice to the newly created network.
    A C2C (sometimes also referred to "Ad-hoc") network has slightly lower latency too, and you don't need a second router.

16. webshark

webshark Member

I want to do it on windows 7.. But Now I think its because i have the DAW blocked from accessing the internet via windows firewall because the staff of control software said it just needs to be connected to same network. Has to be way around it.

17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Well, then create an ad-hoc network under Win7. Google for how to do it.
    This ad-hoc has no internet connectivity but enables you to control your DAW by your iDevices.
    By switching between Ad-hoc and your router's WiFI, you can choose between DAW control or internet access.

18. webshark

webshark Member

Ill give it a shot but i feel like the daw still wont communicate with it if i have the daw blocked in firewarr .. as thats what happening now when i test with network on.. thanks if u have any other ideas let me know.

19. webshark

webshark Member

So the iC pro app sees my sytem just wont connect..

20. webshark

webshark Member

[quotemsg=17550384,0,1282023][quotemsg=17550032,0,1323323]Is it an Ad Hoc network i need to create?[/quotemsg]

If they can all talk to the same router, that should be all you need.[/quotemsg]

Yes this is all they need. So for example normal set up, if you have your everyday computer running and connected to the network and the program is open, then u ope the app on phone and wallah - it sees each other and works fine.. My previous set up was just like this..

Now I want a network on my computer that does not talk to the internet. For example my current local area connection is my internet.. I keep a shortcut on my desktop and enable/disable when I need to..

But I cant figure out how to achieve what I want, people suggested ad hoc - but this is for wireless only my studio system does not have a wireless card. So I need to create one that talks to router but not internet? Am i making any sense at all?

21. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

You could configure your Win firewall to only allow communication with your remote control device(s), for example, if your iPad has the IP address 192.168.168.23, you could allow DAW communication with only the address 192.168.168.23.
    This way, you don't even have to care about which WiFi network is active; the DAW will only be able to talk to your iPad.
    Make sure it CANNOT communicate with the WiFi router's IP (usually the .1 at the end), because it's the gateway to the internet.