anything similar to r kickstart nicky romero?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, May 3, 2017.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

Hi just checking if there's anything similar to kickstart nicky romero

I think its great, just checking if there's something else better

THank you

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Best Answer
    xfer lfotool.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

7. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

8. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

Gross Beat can sidechain, plus a whole lot more. TrackSpacer is an interesting alternative, although I think you're more after something to get that pumping sound.

Oh yeah, just remembered, VolumeShaper by Cableyguys might be right up your alley.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  9. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Gross Beat & LFOTool are the very best for this purpose in my opinion.

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Yep, my bad. Forgot that kickstart existed

11. JonnyRich

JonnyRich Member

LFO Tool for the win!

12. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

It has already been answered.

But I'm amazed how much confusion there is about "sidechain". Nicky Romero Kickstart is not sidechaining anything. It just mimics the effect one would get from proper sidechaining. You can do the same with every envelope generator or lfo that allows for user defined waveforms.

It is one of the simplest and most unneccessary tools out there. I mean why not using proper sidechaining with a compressor of your choice? That would even get you the warmth of a ducking mix that's missing when using that Kickstart.

13. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

volumeshaper by cableguys. Same company who actually made kickstart.

Because it's faster and gives you same result.

How i love that "Proper" word.

So instead of signal at the side-chain input you have tempo-synced envelope that does the same thing. And under same thing i mean external amplitude control of the audio signal.

It's the basics of signal processing. Why the hell i'm still reading about "proper side-chaining" in 2017?

14. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

If you really think an envelope follower on a compressor does the same than a predefined envelope attached to volume, there's not really anything to discuss.

15. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Agree. Science versus your ambitions based on your imagination. Wasted time.

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

When you use LFO tool or Kickstart (a dumbed down version of Volume shaper) or Volumeshaper to sidechain we use midi to trigger it. I use all (separately of course) depending. Some methods work better than others depending on the material. If Im not happy with one method I'll try another.
    I was using kickstart, then moved to volume shaper and LFOTool. But in my last couple of tracks Ive been using the stock ableton comps.
    The trick is what you use to trigger it. Ill have a SC group with a couple of simplers in it on separate tracks with the audio only going to sends but not routed to anything.Usually Im using a short closed hi hat sound as a trigger. One will have my kick pattern midi and other will have the snare pattern. When I need only to duck with the kick sound I feed the comp with the kick from the SC group. If I need to duck with the kick and snare Ill use the SC group as the trigger.
    Note that I set the sc to prefader in the ableton comp. This way if you adjust some track levels the SC comp is still hitting at the same amplitude.
    Once I found a sound of chopsticks clicking in an illmind pack and used that as a trigger.
    You can use any short snappy sound actually because you control the amount of ducking with the release on the comp doing the SC duties.
    So learn how to use a few different methods and switch them out if one doesnt sound right to you.
    https://cymatics.fm/2015/08/21/you-wont-believe-what-youre-missing-out-on-in-lfo-tool/
    As much as I hate this company this is actually a decent tute for LFO tool. The only thing they missed is to click the scope button so you can see the wav and what the envelope is actually doing to the sound youre ducking. This way you can shape the envelope properly.
    The thing I hate about doing it with the tools that use midi for input (LFOTool, kickstart and volume shaper) is that you have to have a separate midi track for each instance of the SCing plug. Instead of one SC group to feed all the sc plugs in your project, like when I use abletons comp for this. And youll also have to make a midi track with both your kick and snare midi in too if you want to duck with both, because you can only use one midi track to trigger it.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  17. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

I use Soundtoys Tremolator for volume shaping. Simple SC or complex modulation is aesy to set here.

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Can I trigger it with midi or sc?

19. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

@subGENRE Im afraid not. But it may depend from your host. In REAPER possible everything, but may be better use simple gain plugin for that.

20. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

any compressor with side chain and a kick to trigger it :D