Anything Fruity

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Amirious, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

This thread has been made specifically to discuss about Image Line products. Mainly FL Studio, it's plugins and any related secrets. (believe me. there are many:winker:)

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i think you will need to be a little more specific about what kind of information you are looking for. i know a lot about FL and will be glad to partake..

4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

My favorite one is the way Prism works in Harmor. At a glance it seems lilke a fairly useless knob that just turns your synth into a jagged pile of slate and nails. However - when you open up the shape editor for Prism you can get an understanding for what it really does. The default shape is a sine wave that runs across the x axis representation of the harmonic spectrum.

What this means is that Prism shifts the harmonic corresponding to its position on the x axis in the direction and amount designated by the phase of the sine wave where it intersects on the Y axis. When you wrap your head around this you can truly find neat ways to use Prism. For instance, you could leave its value at 50% all the way up to the higher harmonics and then use prism with an envelope to make a mangled mess of the high frequencies over time while leaving the fundamental and its first few harmonics intact.

5. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

sorry, i need a translator : (
    got any examples?
    harmor is great but i feel as if i only know the smallest percentage about it.
    most of fl bespoke instruments are really great, like Sawer, i get awesome sounds from that.
    always something to play with to experiment, that 's why i love 'Fruity. ( can we refer to it as FL ? tee-hee)
    what fools are those that say it's a 'toy'...
    bah

6. It certainly is no toy but definitely IS a plaything.

7. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Well, me and @SyNtH. were discussing on Fruity Convolver in a preset sub-forum and I just thought it's better to move the conversation to a separate thread that's about everything related to FL. This way everyone else can participate as well and discuss on whatever they want :wink:

8. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

@Cav Emp Harmor is a Beast!!! Additive synthesis can be complex at first but once you get a grip on the fundamentals, it is very rewarding and unexplored.

By the way, have you moved to Ableton recently? or just playing with?

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Agreed, man. I held off on learning Harmor for so long. I knew what people could do with it but that wall of knobs was a bitch of a gatekeeper. Eventually I decided to sack up and RTFM, and now it's tied with Serum for my favorite sound design tool. Once you understand it it is just so much easier to get crazy, complex sounds out of it than with subtractive synths. The initial investment of time and effort is worth the reward many times over

Always been an Ableton guy. I just love Image-Line's plugins and overall philosophy on audio software. A copy of IL everything bundle is definitely somewhere in my future.

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

Does anyone know how we can mimic the serum's behavior (playing around with and having full control on the wavetable [cycle by cycle]) with IL's stock plugins? Suppose a wavetable of 1000 waveforms. I think it would be a good crux.:thanks:

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

harmor was additive synth, so i dont think, IL offers a pure wavetable synth yet, which can compete with Serum.

the Wavetraveler for that FX, for example a crowd and then make these whoosh FX with that.
    i never found an equivalent for that in an other daw.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

@foster911 That is one of the main selling points of Serum actually so i'd say don't expect to find it anywhere else. the closest thing to it is Waves Codex.

13. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

I say this based only on my own experience; Anyone who has ever used FL as his/her main tool couldn't stop using it after switching to another software.

Decent stock plugins, stability and responsiveness, simple approach to common problems and having one of the best piano roll implementations among modern DAWs are some of the reasons maybe.
    Though I never liked the mixer. never mixed a final song entirely in FL [pre v12]
    And controller support/auto mapping is nowhere near Ableton Live. Personally love that single feature.

14. I would be so very thankful to the true mensch that could tell me...1]how to line up the source file with the indicator lines within Edison. Up until now those lines are just a background design and have nothing to say to me in the real world. How can they be lined up with the tempo, the beat. I am not talking about markers...2] Is there an easy way to choose a part of a recording within Edison that say for example, is between markers 4 and 14 without having to do a bunch of stuff with the mouse like adding and then having to subtract what is not relevant to my need. Mucho gracias.

15. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

@superliquidsunshine I have solutions for both of your problems:
    1) when you load a sample in Edison [with it's window focused] press F2 and fill out the tempo if you know it, else choose Auto-Detect and after you have the correct tempo, check Tempo-Sync button to enable it and accept the changes.
    2) after doing previous step, you should press 1 on your keyboard to change snap to grid. now you are able to zoom-in to your desired part of the sample, correct alignment so that the part you want to select fills the entire window. press CTRL+A and TADA!!

Really hope this is what you were trying to do. At least that was from my understanding.