Anyone working with tape?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Von_Steyr, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

For me personally i haven't found a plugin that comes close but in all fairness i wouldn't expect a plugin to actually replace a proven workhorse.

If you don't own tape or have never used it then most people wouldn't bother trying to emulate it, pointless trying to achieve something when you don't know what that something is (if you know what i mean).

just use the plugin for other creative purposes they all have different tones etc.

Satin, waves etc can all give great results, just be creative and a whole new world opens up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

It might just be the way you're listening. Don't focus on it, don't try to seperate the instruments. Instead listen to the sound as a whole. Everytime the thing is on the sound is more dense (most people call it "tape saturation"), when it's off the sound is lighter. Of course the effect is subtle - it won't punch you in the face!
    If you listen with headphones the effect might not be noticable (depending on their quality)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Gotta listen on better system later. This was on my office PC with basic harman/kardon desktop speakers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Back in the 90's, I had one 4 tracks Reel, I thing it was a teac 3440, it sure look like it
    http://fr.audiofanzine.com/multipiste-analogique/teac/3440/medias/photos/a.play,m.107304.html

I remember, when I switch to a computer based DAW in 1998, it was a whole new world with lot's of advantages,

but the drawback was clearly the lack of "THAT" tape sound, warmth , punch etc...

Though I never went back,

Now the major drawbacks of reel to reel machine and tapes :

tapes are expensive, and they degrade (very) fast, (starting from 80 euros for 1/2" and much much more for 2")
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/bandes_bobines.html

if you used them more than 2 or three times, they won't keep top quality.

Then the whole machine (sorry for my english) is fragile, well it's hardware with a lot a pieces,

you have to do a minimum of maintenance to keep in good "shape".

But if you have an opportunity, then go for it , you'll see for yourself about that special sound.

5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

upload_2016-11-4_9-52-22.png

I managed to get my hands on this about 4 months ago. I haven't even hooked it up to test it yet. I too was curious about if it's worth the trouble or not. I've been using the emulations mainly on guitar tracks to help smooth out the sound and add some warmth. I read somewhere that someone said what they do to the sound is so subtle that the difference between actual tape and the emulations is even more subtle.
    So... should I try it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I don't understand the question...

7. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

ergo, we need mo tape.

8. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Nop, listening to Moe Shop and Porter Robinson teaching everyone who's on FL12 and into warez to make pretty darn interesting music, which of course, noone listens to. Moving on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. digitaldragon

I can see how I left out some details there.
    I suppose the question is would it merit all of the effort to get this machine sounding good (cleanup, calibration, and purchasing new tape), and pushing tracks through it versus just using tape emulation plugins. Just wanted some of you guys who are familiar with both to weigh in on it. Also, it's not a Studer or anything, but I read that the crystal head on that Akai warms the sound up nicely.

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I love working with tools, any tools but especially if its related to music production.I also like maintaning and fixing things.
    If its more work and hassle then im up for it, because lets be honest, 95% of people wont even bother the rest of us who do are adventurer types, who like to explore the world till the day we die.:bow:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Cheap casio 100$ synths have been used in serious production with great results.
    Send some pics and details to our tape experts to see if its worth it or not.

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Man, this forum is awesome.Many experienced people from all fields are gathered here.
    I love it.:yes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I know those were top end decks for playback a long time ago.. but having difficulty envisioning how you might employ this
    in a recording situation, as it's not multitrack? I have only used regular cassettes on Tascam 4 tracks for recording..
    Mind to enlighten me a bit ? :winker:

Would you only send certain tracks to it for the tape effect... or a mix?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. digitaldragon

If time wasn't critical in the current project I'm doing, I'd be all over hooking this thing up and getting it running good. I have a background in consumer electronics repair so I don't believe that would be at issue.
    I suppose I can figure out who some of them are just by reading this thread. :winker:

Also, a good place to start is by looking at the cost of a reel of tape right now for that thing, I suppose. Don't know that I'm willing to pay $345 for just that. I'd put that into a DIY 1176 first!

16. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@Herr Durr ... I actually print a recorded track to it. Passage, riff or take. Elaborate because i'm running out of virgin TDK's and Max's (and even those degrade badly.) and I prefer used tapes. But basically run that back into PT and Bob's yr uncle.
    Running it through the hardware & cablitos does not make for a Margerita. Not on any Nakamichi box anyway. Studer, perhaps. : )

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

thanks @artwerkski ...I always wanted to try one of those Nakamichis, I don't recall the prices from long ago..
    I just remember my eyes popping out for a moment.. :wink:

18. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@Herr Durr you should look into Nagra. If you want the real thing two decades down. (.. three decades, my bad)
    @Von_Steyr man this thread has got me Howly. Now I'm actually going through my Tapes. (Storage, 3M's Ampex). [whole team checkin' tape]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

For testing just get 1x used tape for 50$.Just a suggestion :)

20. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Haha it's the exact opposite for me, listening on a pair of HD280s, way more precise monitoring than random multimedia speakers that I have. The difference is quite apparent on these headphones!