anyone who used an online session singer for his songs?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, Dec 9, 2015.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

I was just wondering how did it go...

did u use a specific site you would recommend?

for background vocals/lead vocals.. thank you

3. jack1958

jack1958 Ultrasonic

check out studiopros. Los Angeles,
    professional, very fast and good rates 150 $ for max. 5 min. Song.
    Additional Vocal tracks $25/each. free modification.
    check out the demos on their site. greets and good luck

4. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

I've used musicianspage.com for one song. I had contact with 3-4 singers and one of them was serious. So it's kind of a luck to find a good one. I have also searched in some fb groups which has singers but I've found anybody who can use a computer. I've sent them the song and they sang out of sync. Everyone of them. So, I suggest you to try to know what your singer's capabilities are and beware facebook :}

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I was looking into some online vocalists but there are almost none out there who offer what I'm after: a clean, unpretentious voice.
    Apparrently, the common sense out there of what is to be considered as good singing is overpressurized belting and melisma until either my eardrums or her larynx pops. Ah, and don't forget the vibrato from hell. Lots and lots of vibrato, so much vibrato, chinese opera singers cover their ears with shame. Makes my ears wanna puke.
    So if you're into this kind of soul-diva knock-off, you're in heaven :)

The soundpros.com demos are definitely very good, but they are also very well produced with a significant amount of editing done.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

lol ^

7. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

If anyone can find such a vocalist that has a style like Mona Soyoc from KaS Product, give me a buzz! :wink:

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's tricky cos I usually write around the artist/vocalist, so for me it would be hard to reverse the process and have the artist/vocalist fit the song. They would have to be very talented to do that and not just vocally, they would need good interpretation skills.

9. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Well, if you don't mind a little Brazilian accent, I can give it a try. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. KingSchlongXVII

KingSchlongXVII Member

LOL ^ there's a prime example for you. A random singer, singing your song that they've never heard of in their life before. Very hit or miss. Those websites that claim to do it all for you are no better, they will charge you after the "first free modification". Because they're not going to keep singing it forever (for no money) until you're satisfied with it after that. So you could end up spending a ton of money with them. Find somebody who will actually work with you in the studio, so you can direct them. Otherwise what you're doing is like pissing in the wind.

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

OT haha goes so well with the bean face :D

12. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

I honestly didn't know there se sites for this, when i need vocals i just ask friends .. anyone needing Bowie/Bryan Ferry/Marc almond esq vocals hit me up. FYI i don't sound like them i sound like me but thats what i been compared to

13. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Yes, definitively not the same as directing a session singer in the studio, but definitively not in the same price tag either.

By my experience, there are at least a few things the composer can do to eliminate this "hit or miss" factor.

First, make sure you're hiring someone who can sing comfortably in the designated key, or change the song key to adapt comfortably to the singer of choice.

Second, make a clear and dynamic melodic line and send it to the singer at least a day before the recording starts, preferably in audio (use a piano if you can't sing it reasonably) and notation. Send it along with the "sing along" track.

Third, send him the lyrics with as many noted observations as possible, like ,sing strongly here, sign softly there, etc...

Fourth, send him a few examples of vocal styles that you imagine for the song..Could be youtube videos, mp3s, whatever...

In other words...You have to help him to sing your song the way you hear it in your head. Nothing more, nothing less. Do whatever you can to avoid "surprises".

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  14. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

15. KingSchlongXVII

KingSchlongXVII Member

What Thankful posted is fine for private use (although most of those singers sound horrible), but you CAN'T pay $5 for a singer and use their voice for any commercial project. That cost is way higher than five bucks. So what you're getting is a demo singer, nothing more.

16. Next week I will post a vocal sample of my voice, so anyone that feels that it would work for them could hit me up for their song/project.