Anyone using VSL Giga edition 120Gb with G-Player ?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by nikon, Apr 8, 2014.

1. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

As the title says, anyone using this old library ?
    How is the quality over EWQL Platinum etc ... ? Is there any benefit over Konakt and DFD with RAM, CPU etc...

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I prefer EWQL Platinum any day!
    I never was a fan of VSL stuff, sound weird to me and takes a lot of courage to deal with :bleh:

4. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Hah, thanks, you save me a lot of dl time :)

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Always a pleasure :mates: .
    Are you seeking a specific sound for your orchestral collection? If LASS sounds weird, try SONiVOX Orchestra *yes*
    Its strings are the only ones recorded with upbow/downbow

6. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Yesterday I play with libraries for almost seven hours, and at the end every library sound wierd to me :)
    It's very strange, one day I play with Albion and sound terrific, another day sounds terrible :) But I think I'm spending a lot of time infront monitor and that's the main reason.
    Whatever I hear, I always go back to EWQL Platinum and Albion series. QL is old but still sound great with it's mic positions and it's a Kontakt's best friend. What to say, huge library, around 100Gb, but pieces are very small and you can choose what mics you want.
    Never try SONiVOX, I will try.

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

If you hadn't tried, Sable is also worth a try, very detailed one. Mural as well, though not articulation-rich

8. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I have Mural, but I hate it only because of included reverb even in close mic.

But overall sound is great (there is a lot of bugs in samples, I opened thread about that question, wanted or not ? http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/11089-spitfire-mural-strange-background-noise/page__p__73694__fromsearch__1#entry73694) and fits great in slower arrangements.

Strange thing about almost every SF libraray is a big release of basicaly every articulation of strings, and you can't react on that aspect. There is a release control but still there it is a lot of release.

I was playing with Sable also, and delete it at the end :) Sound's wierd from time to time and use a lot of space and it has slow loading time, and yeah it was incomplete, just 1st volume, violins and cello.

I found Mural has a very strange algorithm/script on legato, first note velocity 90 ok, when overlap second note sound get dumped and it sounds like you play on velocity 60 :dunno:

One more strange thing about Mural, patch legato (fingered) sounds nice, and patch long (CS) sounds very metallic.

9. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

There are three volumes of Sable:
    vol. 1 - 1st Violins, Cellos
    vol. 2 - 2nd Violins, Violas, Basses
    vol. 3 - unusual articulations - Sul Pont, Sul Pont Trems, Molto Vib, Measured Trems, Trills, etc.

Never really experienced such thing with Mural, but it's really about taste, not everything works for everyone *yes*

10. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

I know

11. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

OK, sorry, you've probably tried all that. *yes*
    NI Session Strings PRO might also work in certain situations.

May I ask what project do you have in mind? :wink:

12. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

No, actually I try only the first volume.

And project, hm... hard to say, but something more classical then the cinematic classic, I just tired of any musical genre and went back to classical stuff :)

13. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

Kontakt Factory Library VSL section; all you will ever need to compose beautiful classical music.

14. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Thanks for your direction :), legacy VSL section has some great flute patches.

Andrew and I just go away from the main theme, sorry about that, but this thread is about VSL Giga edition, last edition without dongles.

For sure there is a lot libraries here, and every library is great at some points.

If you go at the top of thread you will find my main questions, benefits of g-player vs kontakt if there any, x64 vst ? etc...

I watch a lot of interviews with some producers and they find VSL as great choice, for sure, but with latest MIR etc... and that can be observed with different sides indeed:

Imagine, you spend $$$$$$ on that library... you must be satisfied :) It's a big money, so you can't afford to be un-satisfied :)

15. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

I have never used Giga studio, so I cannot comment on that. But I can tell you something else interesting; I have dl almost all the gig files from that 120 GB russian torrent and also from the new Elitistinen 140 GB rar version of even greater collection of those gig files of VSL instruments. Now, I have converted the gig into nki using extreme sample converter, and then, in the end, compared the samples of the same instruments with the samples in the Kontakt Factory Library. Result: if you turn off the default reverb in Factory, most instruments are the same; the choice of articulations is not the same, but if you compare the same articulations (namely sustain) it sounds completely the same; actually I think the sample pool of VSL has not changed at all during the years and why would it; if the samples were recorded perfectly, there is no need to record them again. VSL is only "updating" the sample pool with new articulations and maybe some additional "scripting".
    The point is, if you are regreting you cannot have the latest VSL original for free trial, don't; you have it all in that torrent; yes it is 16 bit and scarce on the articulations, but that is why I am pointing out the Kontakt Factory, because it has plenty more articulations and if you used them wisely, you might just be surprised how convincing they can sound...

P. S. Generally, all of those Spitfire and Dragon libraries are for movie music (I deliberately don't want to say film score) and have no attack and character; besides, as far as I have seen it is all ensembles, but not even real ones but "high", "low" and etc.!!! That is not good for the culture of music, for one should respect all instruments and their true tonal ranges, because if we are going to sell out all those players that are the soul of music (in this logic "heart" being the composer) for movies... That is why I will stick to VSL forever; they respect all the aspects: the music, the players and the instruments. Period.

16. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

For a testing purpose I will dl few images from 26DVD collectio, strings ensemble and solo violins and I will try G-player.
    Maybe I put some videos, as always :)
    And yes, legacy VSL in kontakt factory is from this VSL library, I know that.

17. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Comparing VSL libraries

VIDEO 1

In Kontakt odd slots are the Kontakt VSL Legacy, even slot's are GIGA samples from 26 DVD VSL Giga edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li1PUbZ6qDc&feature=youtu.be

Library is the same. One intresting thing, notes at the memory usage on pure kontakt patches (odd) and the giga converted one (even).

On the Kontakt second TAB of slot's I load some samples from Vienna Horizon Chamber Strings Ensemble

VIDEO 2

In this video, I just play patches in G-Player 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MMt55VfL4&feature=youtu.be

There is no fx, just raw sound. G-Player work great on W7 64 machine. It include vst 64. Like Kontakt it have standard option to load chunks in RAM and the rest will seek from HDD when we start to play.

There is no videos on youtube with G-player, that's strange, but now it has :)

18. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

So we share the interest in the same genre, Classical Film Music here too! If you're interested nikon, we can discuss that subject on PM, you're right, this topic is about something different :mates:

19. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

for sure

If I have enoght time today I will put Strings Cube samples too... as the Horizon flute series etc...

Just for the demistification... there is a lot of editions, and it's easy to get lost in all that

VSL Flute comparsion

VSL legacy from NI Kontakt 5 Factory vs Horizon Flute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2sfd59s_SE&feature=youtu.be

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final thoughts:

If you want VSL, you can use:

- Native instruments Kontakt 5 Factory Library (orchestral)
    - VSL Giga edition with g-player (you get more articulations indeed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I work with this libraries I just remember one of my first songs from 2008.

It's based on classical theme but in a modern way :) This violins and horns are from Hypersonic (the good old hypersonic in 2Gb), piano is Steinber Grand I think, and it was maked in Cubase SX3 with some other plugins too (modern that days :))

http://soundcloud.com/saluez/sasha-in-between

It's nice to remember own first steps...

Drums section sucks :) as the other things but that time it was a wonderfull to me :rofl: