anyone using Ryzen 3 3200g for music production?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Futurewine, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

i've read some comments over the web about some issue with pops and crackles.. i wonder if any forum member have one and can share your experience working with your daw with this cpu model.. tq :shalom:

3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's the most bang for the buck CPU you can buy ATM, and you can make music without any issues if you choose proper components, and adjust the OS properly. It's as simple as that. Most of the problems people have because their systems are overloaded with shit, and they don't understand what a processor cycle is. :wink:

e.g. most people still think the more powerful CPU will be able to withstand more programs working in the background, which is absolutely not true. If the CPU cycles are occupied with 50 different processes, they will still have to process them aside from processing all the plugins and audio from your DAW. You still have to run the least programs possible to get a flawless experience making music with a DAW.

edit: I would actually recommend 3400G instead. Vega 11 instead of Vega 8 graphics, 4c/8t @ 4.2 GHz. The difference in price is very small. The only thing to keep in mind is to buy the fastest RAM you can because it makes a difference, since the GPU is using the same RAM, too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

@Pipotron3000 thxs for tips. will check it out..

@SineWave your recommendation is so true. my decision to own this cpu was a rush at the time. limited budget ofc. plus, this cpu is missing hyperthread, which should be a surplus for kontakt user and modern plugins that make use of this feature.. had it 32 at 4 slot ram at the cost of lower frequency setting.. not sure how it affect performance, i decide to push 32 because kontakt is my main (still not sure if i decide right to push 32 for this haha).. overall since first 3 months experience with 3200g so far.. i'm satisfied though direct audio manipulation like melodyne plugins and alike still occurs some impractical rendering time (can be considered as slow, but i dont make use melodyne routinely, mostly kontakt, so okay for now).. i cant confirm audio pop and click issue but it does happen but rarely (actually it sounded like vinyl crackling or buzzing.. sort of.. at low db but audible, kinda bg low noise)

:shalom:

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I don't understand this. Why? Because it's got on board graphics and will save 30-35 euros from buying a dedicated gpu?
    The 3200G and 3400G APUs are variants of the Ryzen 3 Zen+ series not to be confused with normal Zen 2/3000 series cpus. They 're actually a 2000 series Ryzen3 with a built-in gpu. So for the record, the best vfm cpu you can buy, and i have installed a bunch of them to happy clients, is the Ryzen 5 2600X which goes for about 130 euros or cheaper and is a 6c/12t cpu. Just add a simple GPU and you have a small budget workstation for DAW. Complete builds with mid tower case, 80+ bronze PSU, Samsung EvoPlus 250gb nvme ssd for system and Toshiba X300 4tb hhd (7200rpm) for storage/libraries, 16gb of ddr4 3000 and MSI B450 Tomahawk don't go beyond 370-400 euros. Now if this is not a budget build for DAW, somebody please school me lol. A 180euro X570 mobo like the Asus TUF or Gigabyte Elite will raise the build to 450-470euros depending where you buy, but this way you maintain cpu upgradability all the way up to a 5950X and you get PCI-E gen 4 too.
    And bro, needless to say at this point after all these years here, that i read and respect all you say but how come the more powerful cpu will not withstand more background processes. Win10 cpu scheduling works quite good to this extent, prioritizing execution to the avail cpu threads. One of the few things imho, MS has done -sort of- right with Win10 copying the feature from their WinServer OS. So in simple words, more cpu cores means faster execution of a busy background, since whenever a command is given, the OS automatically occupies the first empty cpu thread it will find and so on untill all threads are occupied.
    I recently installed a Ryzen 9 3900X and tried some crazy shit like running full DAW projects and opening Shadow of the Tomb Raider to see what will happen. This particular game is known for its CPU bound nature and i was eager to see the result. Actually nothing happened except one little sound stutter when the game first launched. To my surprise, they were both running ok although cpu was like 85-87% and i was alt tabbing like there's no tomorrow lol.
    Therefore, more cores = guaranteed better multitasking.
    Lastly, if you have to have an AMD APU, i never judge preference, the best you can buy atm, isn't the 3400G but the Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G. Which is a Zen 2 variant, has on board graphics and sells for less than the 3400G because it has a weaker gpu and no cooler, but as far as cpu power goes, it will be 15-20% faster.
    Just my thoughts and take on budget builds,
    Best regards
    Cheers :)