anyone using Plogue Bidule to Rewire Reason 5 into Logic X ??

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by severn, Nov 6, 2014.

1. severn

severn Noisemaker

hi ,

anyone doing this ?

any chance you could help with a template or step by step instructions ?

thanks

3. Rolma

Rolma Guest

interesting to know...really interesting!
    plongue bidule, according with the tiny experience I have seems to me slightly "interface limited" for hosting something as robust as reason.
    I hope someone could bring hands on experience to this thread.

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Reason 5 has Midi In, Audio Out and slave-syncs to MIDI.

Have you tried JackOSX? Or any other Audio+Midi routing facility under OSX?

5. severn

severn Noisemaker

hope so too....bet some people maybe have a nice pre made custom set up ??

6. severn

severn Noisemaker

thanks will look at JackOSX...any others i should consider ?

7. severn

severn Noisemaker

seems to be making some progress ...i can get Reason to play into Logic but i cant get them to sync and Logic will not control Reason start and stop

1.in Reason i have ticked the Midi clock sync in preferences using virtual 1 from the drop down list .
    2. but Reason shows no Midi Sync light lit at the top of the screen.
    3. in jackpilot it seems that Send port system midi is not sending midi to the receive port Reason ,

any advice much appreciated .
    thanks

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Of course you have to enable Midi Sync in Logic:
    Logic Pro X -> Preferences -> Midi -> [Sync] -> [Midi Sync Project Settings] -> Transmit Midi Clock [X]
    Here, change the check mark to active and in the drop-down box below, select JackOSX (or whatever MIDI router you use) as MIDI destination.

The "Delay Transmission" slider allows for fine-tuning the sync between Logic and Reason. You can load up a looped click track (or enable the metronomes) in both Logic and Reason and move the slider until both play in perfect sync.

You don't need to enable MTC neither MMC btw.
    You only need Midi Clock and Midi Status messages like Start, Stop and Continue, and ideally MIDI Song Position Pointer, so the arranger locator will move to the same position as in Logic.
    Enable sending of SPP messages in the [Sync] page too:
    [Sync] -> Midi Clock -> Allow to send Song Position Pointer while playing

Are you sure Reason is set to slave-sync to Midi Clock?
    You have to enable sync in both
    Reason -> Preferences -> Sync -> Input and
    Options -> Sync -> Midi Clock.

Note that you need JackOSX only to record Reason's output in Logic.
    If you're fine with Logic and Reason playing simultaneously, you can skip it and create a virtual MIDI port using
    MacOSX Applications -> Utilities -> Audio Midi Setup,
    then select Window -> Show Midi Window and doubleclick on IAC Driver.
    Make sure you tick [ ] Device is online.
    The rest should be self-explanatory.

This virtual IAC Midi Interface will be visible in both Logic and Reason, so choose it as Midi Sync output in Logic and as Midi Sync input in Reason.

Got it?

I use a similar setup (Live and Reason) with the Reason Demo for the time being, until I have decided to shell out the $400 for Reason 8 which is still far too much compared with Ableton Live or even Logic Pro X.
    As "thor" is still my main reason for Reason, I can always use my iPad+thor integrated in Live for a much more acceptable price :wink:

9. Rolma

Rolma Guest

YES INDEED!

10. gorri

gorri Ultrasonic

Thanks all for good tips, Jack is working fine except for the au plugin via 32 lives in logic x, says itÅ› offline. Vst doesnt show in cubase elements 7 and other apps, but shows in fx dsp quattro.

any tips/hints would be appreciated.

OSX 10.9.4, Logic x.7, cubase le ai elements 7.0.7

K-))

11. severn

severn Noisemaker

again thank you so much to Fiction because i have now had a chance to try out these instructions and thay work 100 %

so thanks a million to Fiction.

1. i have noticed that the audio input into locic x from Reason is about half the volume as vst instruments ...is there anything i can do apart from lowering the slider for the vsti ?

2. would the set up be the same to play a reason instrument via midi into reason ?

to get Reason to play into logic : in reason audio output is jack router ,

logic create external midi track , tick use external instrument plug in , output iac driver

12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Thanks for your feedback, I'm happy I could help you! :mates:

1)
    Remember that in your setup, you have many points of level control. The master fader in Reason controls the audio level into Jack, then Jack itself might do something, and in Logic Pro X you have again multiple points of gain control. I would run any wave editor and record some audio from Jack, just to make sure the level is not modified by Jack itself.
    If all is good, it could be some level control in Logic, or different audio formats being converted without level scaling maybe?
    You'll have to do some research.

2)
    Yes. You can use the IAC driver to route MIDI from Logic to Reason too. Make sure the Logic Track sends its Midi data to IAC, exactly like you said, and Reason has its MIDI input set to IAC.
    There is one thing to consider in such a setup: Make sure you don't create a MIDI "Feedback Loop" which happens if both Reason and Logic mirror MIDI input to MIDI output. Most DAWS have settings like "Monitor Midi on Rec-armed channel" etc.

@gorri: Sounds like you've found an incompatibility here. Not much to do except waiting for a fix.

Have fun!
    Best regards
    fiction

13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@gorri (2): You might want to try checking the "enabled" checkbox several times in Logic's Audio unit manager.
    Sometimes Logic will stop resisting and load the AU anyway. I've just read that in another post from another user.