Anyone using a Korg microKontrol MIDI keyboard controller in 2023?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Been offered one for cheap and on the face of it, the thing looks decent. However, with it turning 20 years old in 2024 is a concern, though it does have USB MIDI and full size 5 pin MIDI too, so could be good for DAW control and hardware analogue synths.

Does this thing still work in 2023? Does it work in Windows 11? Will it work in current DAWs, particularly Ableton and Studio One?

Officially, the latest drivers for it supported up to Windows 8 64 bit and were released in 2014, but we all know Windows normally accepts older drivers, particularly those designed for Windows 8 onwards.

This is the keyboard, which is a micro version of their full size Korg Kontrol:

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I know a trick to help korg driver work with windows. But I can't guarantee that it will work with these drivers specifically.

4. DJK

DJK Rock Star

still use mine, had it for over nearly 18 years and works well with win 11

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Care to indulge? :yes:

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Good to know. Doers the Editor software work too? And are you able to easily create presets on it?

Been offered it for £30 and tempted as looking for a generic small form factor MIDI controller to replace my Native Instruments M32 and Korg nanoKontrol2. I was contemplating the M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini for 3x the price I've been offered this for. This is kind of both in a single device, as well as having the 4x4 pads and full size MIDI ports, so more versatile too I guess.

7. DJK

DJK Rock Star

never used the editor just for assigning pads and faders to it and playing.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Ok.
    The problem with most korg drivers, including the actual ones, is that they are made like if we would only use one MIDI device controller.
    Windows have its own way to manage MIDI transmission. It uses channels (nothing to do with standards MIDI channels) .
    So windows distributes these channels randomly to the different midi divices. Each divices can need 4 or more windows midi channels.
    Korg drivers only work if their devices are using the first 8 windows midi channels.
    So, it's often needed to manually force windows to give to Korg devices one of those first channels.
    This is done by editing windows registry.

If you need I can post a long explanation with the entire process.

9. El digital

El digital Ultrasonic

Yes, please!

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator