Anyone use XYplorer or any other Windows Explorer alternative?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

My Windows Explorer keeps crashing on my WIndows 11 and it's getting a tad annoying now. It crashes at least once a day, despite the laptop being kept updated, and pretty clean in terms of being looked after and not cluttered with bloatware etc. The final straw for me is when trying to copy over a 1.8TB data load from one drive to another to keep as a disconnected physical backup, but Explorer keeps crashing before it's copied over, meaning I have to restart and have no confidence in telling it to skip already copied files as I don't know what's happened when it crashed, i.e. whether it was part-copied files it thinks exist already in full or not.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone is using any alternatives and wondering what the options are?

3. syrius

syrius Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. -

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2023

Attached Files:

5. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

i use xyplorer. i like the 2-pane norton commander view, but its possible to quickly switch to single pane. and its configurable, in any possible way. macros, shortcuts, special views... as you like and need it. i got it from sisters site, btw :yes:
    but: imho your problems with the explorer crashs are a deeper problem of your system. you could exchange wins standard explorer to something different, but i dont believe your problems are gone then.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. gatus

gatus Kapellmeister

Total Commander:wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

All above, or Explorer++, portable too.
    However, it's not a good sign if the system file explorer crashes.
    Teracopy also verifies copied files and can skip all written.
    A backup sw is maybe tha best thing to check for different files, see Syncback, but many others are good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I use portable x/y.

9. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Directory Opus. It's not cheap (unless, you know), but I've been using it since its Amiga days, I'd be lost without it now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I've been using XYplorer for the past several years. (Actually since I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7.)

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

me too for 2 decades now.
    I use TC to move 500+GB in files around from one HDD to another, works great for me.

xyplorer for looking through samples.

windows explorer is horse-sh!t, wonder if M$ ever will improve it. it feels like something from the 90s.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Hey, Win11 Explorer has tabs at least! Not that it's any better, but if you augment it with PowerToys and QuickLook it's passable.

I personally use OneCommander, the basic version is free, though the pro license is something like 15€, well worth it in my opinion. Two panes, column layout if you want it. Easily navigatible with keyboard. Integrates with Seer and/or QuickLook (just tap spacebar) for quick previews (can't live without it), and you can set TeraCopy for default file copying/moving. Then I use PowerToys Run to quickly launch apps (Alt+space) then Everything for instant search (mapped to Win+alt+space).

If you're not scared of the command line and need to move/backup/sync a lot of data (or want to script it), then rsync is a solid choice, though Microsoft's own "robocopy" (yeah, terrible terrible name) is a good command line tool, though being MS it has it's own weird bizarre things going on.

But all of the replacements mentioned here are worth trying it out, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yeah but copying large amount of files is a pain in the ass with it, also win explorer has no queueing, which is essential if you copy multiple files from different locations on the HDD to somewhere.

Teracopy works good. for backuping up smaller things, backvp works good for me. i have synced my sample folder with it, from desktop to the HDD.

Everything is just such a cool piece of software, it also works with TC.

yeah you can make your life only better with all the replacements.
    I dont understand how people can work with win explorer, when i setup a new system, TC is the first thing i install to never have to use the win explorer again ...

14. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Came here to vote for Directory Opus as well, used in on my amiga 4000 developers machine, Best bit of software on the best computer ever. :)

Just updated to V12 a few weeks ago as well.

15. gzilla

gzilla Ultrasonic

For moving small large amount of files (ex move Arturia data) use FastCopy as first comment state.

16. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Wot's Windows Explorer? :unsure: [​IMG]

I'm using Total Commander only, for ages now, never had a problem. It could take a bit time to adjust the look and how it works to your personal needs, but that's probably the case for all these tools.
    And you can use it for free forever - if you want that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. dr_after

dr_after Kapellmeister

XYPlorer for the last two years. Can't imagine I could work without it.

18. dondada

dondada Rock Star

I Used Terracopy until i met FastCopy, does everything terra does but absolutly never fails and it is as simple as
    STrg C, but, does a quick winmerge + sync
    its faster and it could be faster still, you got to check it out ;)

Directory Opus is quite fantastic
    The customization is extensive, works without just fine.

19. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I'm shocked it took them this long. I've been using Clover for many years (even though it's a bit sketchy) and could never go back to Explorer without tabs and bookmarks.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't come across this when looking for a Clover/Explorer replacement with tabs. I'll test it out, but I rely heavily on Clover's bookmarks/favorites toolbar so that could be a deal-breaker.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  20. trz303

trz303 Producer

Me too, but didnt find any 100% working version since 11.17 from 2015, so it's getting old ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2023
  21. cicigina

cicigina Noisemaker

Directory Opus is the best but pirating it was hell for me