Anyone use Storage Spaces on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, so I have a 5 bay enclosure and have a total of 25TB across 5 drives in there (various sizes).

I've toying with the idea of creating a storage pool with them using Storage Spaces on Windows to have a single studio drive to place all my stuff. Most of my important stuff is also backed up to a cloud storage solution too, so is mainly for convenience in use and speed of accessing data.

Never used before though and don't know anything about it. Is it reliable? Is it good enough to repair failed disks using the parity solution to maximise disk space? What happens if I reinstall Windows etc on my machine? Does it still get recognised as a pool by new install?

Anybody with any experiences of using it able to provide some thoughts????

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Anyone????

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

If one drive dies will that affect the others somehow ? Or do yopu plan to mirror it somehow ?
    Never tried it , but to me it sounds a bit risky. I would try this stuff into depth before relying on it

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

All depends on the layout you choose when you create it.

• Simple spaces are designed for increased performance, but don't protect your files from drive failure. They're best for temporary data (such as video rendering files), image editor scratch files, and intermediary compiler object files. Simple spaces require at least two drives to be useful.
    • Mirror spaces are designed for increased performance and protect your files from drive failure by keeping multiple copies. Two-way mirror spaces make two copies of your files and can tolerate one drive failure, while three-way mirror spaces can tolerate two drive failures. Mirror spaces are good for storing a broad range of data, from a general-purpose file share to a VHD library. When a mirror space is formatted with the Resilient File System (ReFS), Windows will automatically maintain your data integrity, which makes your files even more resilient to drive failure. Two-way mirror spaces require at least two drives, and three-way mirror spaces require at least five.
    • Parity spaces are designed for storage efficiency and protect your files from drive failure by keeping multiple copies. Parity spaces are best for archival data and streaming media, like music and videos. This storage layout requires at least three drives to protect you from a single drive failure and at least seven drives to protect you from two drive failures.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces