Anyone use NEBULA?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by toerag, Jan 22, 2013.

1. toerag

toerag Newbie

Who is using Nebula in these parts??

3. davidgary73

davidgary73 Newbie

Nebula user here.

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

My Cats name is Nebula.. :dunno:

5. oldor

oldor Newbie

I am impressed with the quality that some Nebula programs deliver, it is astonishing. As goog as UAD plugs IMHO,

yet I hate the handling, the GUI and the latency. That is where algorithmic plugins provide a much better workflow.

But you should give Nebula a chance. DL some demo plugs from AlexB and compare to Softube and other big players.

6. toerag

toerag Newbie

It's both the best and worst plugin. The sound delivers. If it was able to model distortion a bit more accurately it would be light years ahead of everything else itb sound wise.

PM if anyone is up for trading libraries.

7. davea

davea Platinum Record

Nebula is really impressive.

But first of all, you have to be aware of few things:
    Nebula is CPU hungry, so you need to have a beast in CPU and in RAM, you can add power with CUDA system if your video card(s) get it ( check here)
    Anyway the workflow is a bit slow downed but the result is unbelievable, believe me ! ;-) And using this plugin, set it up correctly, needs to be check aswell on Acustica's forums, where you have, of course, loads of info and help.

You can aswell use NebulaMan, a nice 'lil application which works in standalone gives you the abilities to process any audio file before merging it in your DAW.

So the sound:
    you can check here and here what they used as technology to make it works and why.

From Acustica's library or 3rd party library given free/or sell here and there, the sound characteristics are huge, as close as the gears intended to be recorded then transformed in kind of impulse response for Nebula plugin, if I can say .
    From PREAMP to MICS, DI to TUBE COMP, CONSOLE to TAPE, DISTO to CHORUS, REVERBE to … And so one … Any kind of gear knowned (or not) can be recorded and then used with Nebula plugins.

Some was made in 192k, 96k, until 44k. You have to be aware that using high frequencies nebula 's Program ( that is usely named ) need to work as the same high frequency or a multiple where the conversion is reliable
    by plugins ( example: 192k to 96k works perfect to well, but 192k to 44k is far a big jump for the plugins to convert in the right rate)

So as you may understood, this kind of plugin is for high equipment ( of course damned !) but I work usely in 44100 and its fine too.

I use to buy Nebula few years ago and left it 'cause it use to peace me of for the reasons I have mentioned already above ( in the bad side of this tool). Since few days, (yes really) 'cause of a friend of mine, I've decide to rework with and learn better how to use it aswell. Because of severals library I've owned ( so really well made), it worth to back to it . Some Reverbe are amazing, few color preamps idem, idem for compressors, Tape texture and so one.
    Be assured that I'm not workin' for this 'lil company ;-) I'm working with great plugins ( UAD, Sknote, AudioDamage, Ac2 B2 …) all are very well designed and sounds great.
    It's ( as always ) a matter of taste and a bit of curiosity to, tryin' this tool or this other tool.

A free Nebula is available plus some free lib aswell on the site or in demo mode for some 3rd party or even, given for free.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

8. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Davidgary73 stop using One Reasons cat..

9. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Toerag,

I don't know exactly if you usually use distortions for instruments like guitars,... but if it's one of your main objectives, just a little personal suggestion :

As it seems that you're not 'totally' satisfied by the modeled distortion models specifically available for Nebula3, then use others (more accurate or effective) 'Stompboxes' simulations. There's several models available depending of your tastes and what kind of distortion, overdrive, crunch... type of sounds you're looking for. More or less aggressive, a particular well 'typed' sound, a close 'replica' of a legendary model of the past,...

When I use Nebula3 and that I want to get (or use) distorted/overdrived/crunchy type of sounds, I simply go through one of these 'Stompboxes' (first in the chain), then I usually add that kind of 'Magic Touch' that deliver most of the 'Preamps', 'Amps', 'Tape Saturators', 'Compressors'.... that are available within Nebula3 (depending of your available Libraries), and that add subtle... to less subtle ! (depending of your settings made in both elements) nuances/enhancements to the 'Stompboxes' used.
    For me, these kind of setups make perfect matches in most of the cases... Try them ! :wink:

As examples :

Tube Screamers (Plugin replicas/simulations) -->
    BOSS Stompboxes (Plugin replicas/simulations) -->
    Mokafix Audio Stompboxes (a lot of very good ones !) -->
    and all the others 'Stompboxes' available -->

go through --> any kind of Preamp, Amp, Tape Saturator, Compressor,... available within your Nebula 3. Experiments are the key !

Of course, you can use others kind of Distortion Plugins as well (iZotope Trash, FXpansion MAUL,... ), the list is almost endless !

Good Luck in your quest ! :wink:

10. toerag

toerag Newbie

@davea & Studio 555.

Great posts. Didn't know about NebulaMan.

I do use other distortion/saturation/amp plugins in conjunction with nebula (ohmicide, camel crusher, psp stuff, guitar rig spring to mind). I just wish the makers of Nebula would focus on implementing micro kernels like they alluded to a while ago, which would take the ability to capture/sample distortion more accurately and in turn improve the sound 10x.

11. quangly99

quangly99 Newbie

I'm also up for trading. anyone interested PM me

12. MarkEvans

MarkEvans Newbie