Anyone use Calibre to manage eBooks and know of library sources?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bunford, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

A bit of a random one, but I quite like to read on my Kindle and have previously used Calibre to manage my eBooks. Previously, I think there were a few places you could download a huge 20 odd GB library and so on of books available online but now can't seem to find anything.

Anyone aware or anything or able to help at all?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Head over to z-lib and download to your hearts content!

Ok, it's not a XXGB torrent but you should find most things you're looking for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. dayron

dayron Member

Libgen .me thank me later ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Seemed perfect until I hit the 5 books per 24 hours limit. Should have chosed what to read in terms of what I want to read immediately I guess :rofl:

It says it uses the IP to detect though. Any way of easily rotating IP address easily, or would a VPN be the only real solution?

6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Tried this one but nothing seems to download. Am I missing something? I choose "Get links", then it offers about 5 or 6 links that direct to seemingly random pages with a "Get link" button, which doesn't seem to do anything?!

8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

You can use an account to have more DLs per day (temp-mail is good) , and then using a shadow proxy, but I'm normally good with the limits :)

9. recycle

recycle Guest

I believe that this amazon system of selling the eBook and not allowing its regular download should be illegal

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

using calibre to strip DRM.

its better to manage pdf, djvu and epub via folders.

11. recycle

recycle Guest

When I buy an ebook from Amazon I expect it to be mine and that I can manage it however I want. Unfortunately this is not the case: Amazon files are only accessible under conditions strictly defined by unbalanced rules and I consider it an abuse of copyright.

That's why I rip with Calibre every ebook bought on amazon and also, that's why, to counter their abuse, I share the files bought legally on “pirate” websites.

the only fair behavior I accept in this business is what Bandcamp has for music: I buy the flac file, then 12% of the revenue for website and the rest goes to the artist: I am more than happy to buy Bandcamp music

12. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I use calibre to convert epub to pdf but have found in a few cases it doesn't work properly and the converted file is all f**ked up when this happens an online converter usually works well but even then you may have to try a couple different ones to get one that gets the file properly converted

13. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Not sure if this applies to what you are doing, but if anyone is sending books to their kindle device using the email option. if you send a book/s as an attachment and put the word: convert as your subject, amazon will auto convert the book to their kindle format. Their conversion usually works really good. Obviously this is just for kindle.

14. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I don't recall ever having a problem converting epub to pdf. Pdf to epub is another issue altogether though.