Anyone remember PiWarp?

Discussion in 'Software' started by LottaHugo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. LottaHugo

LottaHugo Newbie

It's an old prosonic pluging (1999!), that had some sort of spectral shift/ring modulation/envelope/filter/reverb functions, and i really liked the sound of it. Been trying to get a hand on it online, but only keep getting a demo version or one that doesn't work with cubase (get's blakclisted, won't load).

Anyone know where i might find it? Or maybe some plugin that can do the same?

I see Zinaptiq (the continuation of prosoniq) have released a thing called wormhole, which can do a lot of the same, if not more and better, but dunno where to get that either. Maybe i'm a bit newbish on tracking down this sort of stuff.

Semi related, anyone familiar with the v/vm remixes of pop songs? I often wondered how they could have done what they did to certain songs without having stems. For example the harmonic shift done to Imagine here:

What effects/processes could do that? I like the altered chords and melody btw, sounds fresh

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i remember it well, in fact there were some other plugins that they made to.
    it was the first 'glitch and fuckery' plugin i used and it was brill.. apart from it crashing my machine frequently..
    ahh, thems was the days.

yes, only problem is their plugins are the most resource hungry ones i have ever tried...

5. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

"What effects/processes could do that?"
    It remembers me "I'm Iron Man" from Black Sabbath.

I think about ring modulator. Or a very fast tremolo.

In those days, there where modular synths (like VCS-3, Moog Modulars...) you could enter any source, even voice, and modulate it with VCA or ring modulator.

You can try using any modular synth plug :wink:

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

AM (Amplitude Modulation) and RM (Ring Modulation), both technically the same.
    There are many plugins that can do it. Search at KVR, vst4free etc.
    (Code Audio WrongMod, ndc The Modulator, ConcreteFX Spectring, B Serrano IO RingMod, novaflash MadRing...)

The free meldaproduction bundle also has a RingMod included, and it's probably one of the best!

7. angie

angie Producer

Try izotope Vocalsynth or Madrona lab Virta and of course what fiction stated

8. LottaHugo

LottaHugo Newbie

Hey ZUK, thanks a ton! It works! Can i ask how you found it?

Filtersweep, yeah, and it makes insane feedback so easily. Wonder if it could be manipulated with automation..
    Haven't tried any Zynaptic ones yet. Could always just freeze or bounce out the track once it's where you want it?

Yeah Pipotron and Fiction, it's similar to a ring modulator, but not quite it though i think, ring modulators fuck with the harmonics in a different way?
    I thought it was called something like "frequency shift" or "spectral shift"? From my experience, primarily with a moogerfooger, you can hear the root frequency it "revolves" around, but maybe you could get that type of harmonic shift as in the Imagine video with just moving the root frequency as the chords change, in an immediate automation way? And maybe some ring modulators have different inner workings, I'll def try around these ones mentioned now. Thanks a lot for the tips!

9. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

Yo holy shit. I just tried this thing and it's insane what it's doing to anything i run it through. Makes everything sound dark and alien. Awesome. Any other plugins similar to this, or any other different cool things from prosonic? I already know Zynaptiq has some insane stuff out.

10. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Yes, that's the case. FM and RM generate spectral lines that go further apart the higher the modulation frequency is.
    The Prosoniq and similar effects can do a "spectral shift" that shifts the whole spectrum up or down, with the distance between individual frequencies remaining the same.
    I recommended RM because that's what was used in the video you posted, apparently.

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star