Anyone recognise this percussive sound in this song?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vincent Price, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

I was listening to a song on youtube and I rather like this percussive sound at the beginning, anyone reckon off chance they'd know where it came from (ie plugin) or how to recreate it...it's rather nice

Cheers.

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Sounds like a very very early analog rhythm machine... *maybe a Roland, maybe an old organ. There was an old kontakt library that had every ancient drum machine known to man, wish I could remember who it was by...

4. Uprock

Uprock Kapellmeister

Try Dune 1.3 vst, forest flute preset sounds close or aztec flute maybe! sounds like what Disclosure used in there white noise tune!

5. Haliax

Haliax Guest

This almost sounds like a Marimba without any resonance, or maybe just a wooden block being hit (all with a spattering of reverb)

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) Key-tracked (very steep/high resonance) bandpassed noise oscillator with a bit of reverb.

2) Add an additional envelope to filter cutoff for extra transient "pop" (no sustain and very short decay, cutoff going from higher cutoff to resting/original cutoff).

https://vocaroo.com/18RBBCIvwsWM

Try it for yourself first, but let me know if you get stuck (and want the preset I made in a few minutes in the free and awesome Surge XT). It's a fairly simple sound and it's a good introduction to synthesis and a great sound to learn how filters, cutoff and envelopes work (especially on an "uninteresting" and "boring" single noise oscillator).

Edit: Lol. I posted the (totally) wrong link to the sound before. It's now corrected.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

If you wanna go the path of sampling, maybe you could try a ping pong ball sound as a source :wink: ...and yes keymapped, so you can play different notes. Your reference sound sounds very well done to me. Some tasty pitch envelope on it, maybe some fancy layering involved... maybe just an Omnisphere preset, who knows? :dunno:

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yeah. Or you could just bandpass noise. :yes:

This thread ought to be moved to How to make that sound.

9. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Ha, seems you're right, I listened to your example above before you edited it and was like "ok, what is he telling us here" :rofl:
    Your corrected links sounds definitely close :like:

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Thanks! I accidentally copy/pasted a sound-clip of someone else I was helping to re-create a sound (instead of my own upload). Haha. So I guess my pre-edited post must have made zero sense. :rofl: