Anyone realised R2R KGs recently started closing after a few seconds on Windows 11?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Bunford, May 17, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've been using sister site stuff for ages and never had issues. However, recently, even older KGs are closing after 5-10 seconds and disappearing. I assume it's due to Microsoft Security doing something, but it doesn't give me any notification.

Anyone noticed similar or know of how to stop this happening?!

3. %

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2023
  4. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

I disabled the windows security setting called "real time" monitoring. Not sure if that will work for you but for me it prevents windows from quarantining and deleting files after unzipping/unraring/downloading

5. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Stop Windows Defender from Deleting Files Automatically...
    1. Open "Windows Defender" > Click on "Virus & threat protection".
    2. Scroll down and click "Virus & threat protection" settings.
    3. Scroll down to "Exclusions" and click "Add or remove exclusions".
    4. Click the + plus icon to add an exclusion and select File, Folder, File Type, or Process, then specify the exact files, folders, or even file types that you don't want to get deleted or removed by Windows Defender.
    5. Save all changes. If you don't want Windows Defender to remove the .dll files, click "File Types" type in the .dll and .exe file extension, and click "Add". After this, those files that you’ve set to be excluded won’t be removed or deleted again.
    Hope this helps you:)

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

They are run on drives that are already in the exceptions list within Microsoft Security in their entirety, so I don't think would change anything.

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Even when doing this it happens as this was the first thing I tried. Also, is there any way to turn off Microsoft Security permanently?

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is already done.

9. AudioSox

AudioSox Ultrasonic

I don't know if it will work on Win 11, but on Win 10 I've disabled Defender's real-time protection from the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection

New > DWORD DisableRealtimeMonitoring; set it to 1

Reboot

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  10. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

I'm on 11 (have been since the beta opened) and haven't had the same issues, of course there's always a bit of wack-a-mole with Defender but thats to be expected, if you've already correctly created these exceptions then it shouldn't be doing that. I'd delete the exception, and then re-input it. See if the issue persists this way. As George Santos said, you can turn off real-time monitoring and then re-enable it later on if you want the extra security. Also, yes you can disable Windows Defender. Go into GPEDIT if you're on Windows 11 Pro and find this directory: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Double-click the "Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus" policy. You can also enable "Turn Off Routine Remediation" to get it to stop randomly acting on things it perceives as threats. However i have to warn you the former is a risky thing to do, and any 3rd party AV is likely to do the same thing down the road.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  11. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Your problem is self-made. Your OS is not optimized and facing the internet most likely, or if not its running services that are working against you. Get rid of internet, A/V, win update, cortana, ms store, etc... No one here is experiencing this because most everyone runs heavily modified and more importantly, SECURE versions of windows os.

Check into the GhostSpectre ISO's - they are heavily modified Windows vers 10 (20H1 - 22H2) + Win 11. Most ALL of the garbage has been taken care of leaving a usable more secure system in the wake. There are still some tweaks left to be made if one were to be running one of those ISO's on the internet, but for a media production build there is no room for such things as internet connections.

12. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Im running a windows 11 build with all of those intact and i don't have the Defender issues either. I have a feeling its a matter of the exceptions not being properly placed. You can have an actually functional OS and still do media production on it.

13. George Santos

Thanks for tip on the "GhostSpectre" iso. I just did a build using "tiny11." Which is also a stripped custom build. Will try it out next time

14. George Santos

You can but there are limits. I got a buddy who runs YouTube on a separate monitor (using the production workstation I built him) during recording sessions then got the nerve to ask me why there's static. I tell him not to play youtube while recording but he said that it adds a "vibe." Well sure, but it adds latency and noise too.

To each their own though, g bless

15. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Yeah thats more than a little dense on their part. Im legit gobstopped at the "Why's there noise?" lol. I was more saying that it's not necessary to completely airgap and kneecap a system's overall functionality to be able to make art with it, I can see why people do it on older hardware tho where every CPU cycle counts. G bless to you too man!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. George Santos

To get the regedit and gpedit mentioned in the thread to stick you'll need to disable Defender's "tamper" protection option before restarting. You'll know defender is down when the Virus & Protection page displays an error.

@AudioSox, in Win11 pro the file path and attribute name are different but I was able to successfully do it with some googling

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Functional as opposed to a machine controlled by the OS OEM. You will find out in time... It's inevitable. If you continue with OS being exposed to internet, allowing win update and "defender" to run rampant, there will come a time where you will find things simply gone or not working for "no reason at all"... As well, the telemetry will let microsoft (and whoever else is listening) know what you're doing 24/7/365. If you're ok with that then it's all good.

The definition of functional I guess lives in the mind of the beholder. Most folks are seeking to free up every single processor cycle they can and achieve as close to 0 latency performance as possible. NONE of this is possible with ANY "out-of-the-box" windows OS (or macos either for that matter). just, fyi...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. George Santos

@saccamano you got any tips or links for which Windows services are safe to disable to optimize for audio production?

Ive done all the ones you'd find on the first page of Google but still have like 59 services at boot.

19. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Again, you can get all the way down to 4ms latency with none of those things disabled just from tweaking FlexASIO and running WASAPI as a backend while in exclusive mode. I think your argument is largely context dependent, any sufficiently modern system can manage more than capable, great performance with none of those things disabled. If you're on older hardware then yes gutting those services absolutely makes sense, but I don't quite see a device as entirely functional if you have to hack the software to pieces in order for it to function. In the cases updates break something, this is why scheduling a restore point every night in task scheduler is something i do for everyone i build/upgrade systems for.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Sure. If you want the least amount of hassle in the optimization phase of the OS build I suggest one of the ISO mods that has pretty much all the garbage taken out already. I have tested the GhostSpectre AIO win10 iso (has 20H1 to 22H2 available to install) and found it to be satisfactory "out-of-the-box" for streamlined operation.

To be honest 59 services is not bad at all for doing it piecemeal/manually. Mainly you're looking at getting rid of all the ad generation, ms store, telemetry exchange, uncontrolled updating, and spy/bloatware that comes installed in win10 and even more so in win11. There are many lists of stuff to disable, but in the end only you will be able to determine what YOU need or don't need. I have found http://www.http://revertservice.com/10/ an invaluable resource for finding out what a lot of that junk is, and then being able to make a informed choice as to whether it is needed or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  21. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I have no argument really. Just facts. Facts that crop up in this forum on a hourly basis. I have been successfully using mickey-soft os's for years now for a wide range of applications. Not one of them, from Windows for Workgroups to Windows 10 has been an un-modified install. Many of the applications I have used these systems for over the years were internet based and production based. Never was there an instance where the two applications could be melded. It's very simple. These two applications are non-complimentary of each other due to the design of the OS's themselves.There are many folks here of the same school. It's not a matter of the hardware being adequate anymore it's a matter of users taking control of systems that were DESIGNED to be not in their control. This has become more and more evident with every passing version of windows os (mac os as well). With windows it started in Win95 and has been getting worse with every newer version. For a majority of users all of the minutia goes over their heads as they are blissfully ignorant of all that goes on behind the scenes. For many others it's VERY evident what is happening and most that do see it do not like it.

Depending on windows "restore" is like playing a game of russian roulette with your data/system integrity. There will be a point at which it WILL fail. When it does, it will be very evident that it cannot compare to a simple complete system image backup. NOT windows backup either which is a joke, something substantial like acronis or norton ghost... I can say these things from the perspective where at one point having trusted in them to "work" and they failed miserably more than once. The whole once-bitten-twice-shy scenario can be a hard-knocks learning situation but very effective in the long run...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List