Anyone of you have experience with Upwork or similar freelancing ?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by justsomerandomdude, Mar 2, 2022.

1. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Platinum Record

Can u guys help me?
    Lets just say for Example I am making an intro and outro music for a youtube video. In my profile i haven't mentioned anything about Mastering, do the clients their expect it to be Mastered, can i or do i let them know i dont do mastering. Because i am not a mastering engineer, until for my own tracks after mixing and completion, i send them to someone to get it mastered.
    Any of u have experience in this? What should i do :dunno:
    Thanks in advance.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The client expects you to provide them with usable intros and outros, how you do that is entirely up to you. He pays you for the commissioned service and the result. I wouldn't write that you send it away, because that can be interpreted to your disadvantage.

4. justsomerandomdude

can you explain pls
    and Thank you for the answer dude.

5. kh_minusone

kh_minusone Guest

What BEAT16 means is, a lot of clients don't understand what "mastering" means; they don't care about the process or tools used, but rather the resulting product. So if you tell them that you'll send the track they paid for, to someone else for "mastering", what they'll likely think is that you'll outsource the track they paid you for.

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

A customer who places an order with you expects you to process his order and execute it to his satisfaction.
    If you do your job well, the customer will come back and recommend you.
    You ask yourself the question whether you should write that in your profile purely, that you involve a third person, that can (does not have to) cause an uncertainty factor with the customer. He may wonder what will happen to his order if the 3rd person is sick, for example. As I said, it can - but it doesn't have to.

It could also sound that you are not 100% reliable, because a 3rd person may may not do his job properly. So you see it can and it does not have to have disadvantages. An advantage is when you know someone you can rely on. And who steadily does his job.

7. justsomerandomdude

Understood, to answer i have not mentioned anything about sending to mastering to 3rd person, i just thought people will understand hoped that they know i am not a Mastering Engineer by not mentioning it. But from the answers here i get the idea.
    Also the person i send my personal tracks for mastering is reliable, but the problem is the price for mastering likely equals the price of the project,

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  8. justsomerandomdude

Thats thoughtful dude thanks, So i guess i ll have to do it myself.

Only thing left to do is convince my conscience.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You are one person - the client is one person and the person doing the mastering is the 3rd person.

10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Don't do it or at least send two versions.

Send your work with headroom and dynamic range as you composed it. If you are dealing with someone who knows how to handle audio in post and mux they will think you are a moron if you send them a smashed up sausage and never deal with you again.

If you are dealing with someone who doesn't know what they are doing and wants a sausage you can add a processed track to -12LU just from having it hit a comp and a limiter (that's not mastering) because they wont know or appreciate the difference sonically and neither will their audience.

Your conscience is now safe and so is your work ethic. You wouldn't generally run a post/loudness/balance on audio anyway unless you were the one doing the mux.

11. justsomerandomdude

Thank you Dude.
    This was not only helpful but also cracked me up :rofl:, the tone of that sentence just reminded me of a skit...