Anyone make DJ mixes in Ableton? Anyone got master chain suggestion for a DJ mixtape?

Discussion in 'DJ' started by Bunford, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I want to make some DJ mixes in Ableton for uploading and sharing, e.g. mixtapes, podcasts and so on. I'm also planning to use Ableton so I can get a bit more creative by introducing transition effects and such that would not be possible with regular decks.....and yes, I can also DJ on vinyl before anyone whines :rofl:

Anyone do this and got any set up ideas to share?

Also, a master channel FX chain suggestion would be appreciated so that I can apply across a whole 1 or 2 hour mix without needing to fiddle too much.

3. TheVictim

TheVictim Newbie

I've mixed a few times with live and got this template from another artist that worked really good. Has some useful fxs and set up like a dj would play. You can use the crossfader under the master channel to make smooth transitions too.

Let me know if you want it and I can send it to you.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. joem

joem Producer

i do and have done before eventhough i find it a ball ache to do so and i litrally just add a limiter thats it just to stop any peaks if your doing a dj mix or useing it in a live enviroment you dont need much as all the songs are alredy mixed and masterd

5. TheVictim

TheVictim Newbie

It is a pain, with all the warping and stuff as well I just much prefer recording with a program like rekordbox.

6. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

yeah live or in the club i would not put anything on the master, if you want to process the recording so that all tracks hit the same just use a limiter, adjust threshold so that you barely touch the quietest track at its loudest point, set to long release time (1-3 sec +), that way you dont mess with the dynamics of the tracks in between the beats themselves

7. djanarki

djanarki Newbie

sat comp limiter ...... u will be good on master chanel

8. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

You can also use mixmeister instead of unableton the only problem is you can only use 32 bit vst's like for example ozone and a lot of vst's dont work with mixmeister

9. element6

element6 Newbie

Why not just use serato? isn't it free?

10. MetaCastle

MetaCastle Guest

Djing in daw is for very precise mixes especially if you have the songs stems flexibility of manipulating the time with advanced plugins high quality rendering etc i did some mixes like that and the result was very good - master chain suggestion well last in the chain is the limiter L2 is good before you can add one knob bright , bbe is good on some channels if you have weird sounding song slap c4 or similar plugin max volume from waves can help to some tracks to become full with life in the mix

11. Seckkksee

Seckkksee Guest

Yeah, a limiter is all ur need. Fuck the fancy shit, just use Ableton's. The songs are all mastered why go out of ur way to get a fancy limiter? A compressor is unnecessary as it's doing what a limiter is doing unless u don't understand what the limiter is doing. Saturation is ridiculous too. Just limit to catch peaks. Don't overthink it.