Anyone made/know how to make an RTA device?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, I've wanted one of these for ages, and yes, I mean even before *that* Dada Life studio video was released. The Samson D-1500 does look like the best looking and functional one, but virtually all RTA devices have now got silly extortionate and hard to get hold of.

I'm looking to build my own and wondering if anyone has ever done this or got any pointers. Essentially I want to make something that looks like the Samson device, but soldering my own LEDs to the breadboard circuit board and being able to customise how many frequency bands I use etc. I have time, patience and no rush, and prepared forit to be a much more ghetto looking device :)

Lots of people may have the opinion of these being unnecessary, but I'm a very visual worker (everyone's different) and I'd rather have a permanent RTA visible. These do have a practical use regardless of what people say as when you solo instruments they can help enormously with EQing and spot where inaudible rumbles are occuring if distorting bass sounds, for example.

I have a spare Raspberry Pi 2 lying around, so it might be useful to use that as a 'brain' if possible as it's so small.

Another solution I've considered is maybe a cheap Android tablet with a decent size and resolution to use and put a software RTA on it, but already having 3 monitors I don't wanna clog up my space too much with screens :)

For those not sure what it is, here is an image of the Samson D-1500 (it is just the RTA element I want, and not the secondary and button-toggled features etc, obviously):

[​IMG]

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Options:

• Use the rpi to do a FFT on the input to drive some LEDs. Make sure you have enough GPIOs.
    • App on Android
    • Put flux analyzer or penguin audio meter on your 3rd mon

4. dondada

dondada Rock Star

there are loads diy projects ou there but im not too sure about the precision of those things
    i think relisticly there are only 2 viable options (maybe 3)
    but fuuuuuuuuun! amazing 3d beast (think about a wavelab style display lololol)

1)diy - repair -hack
    get a 2hand rtw monitor. probably the best. sometimes sold with little-minor defects for 150-300 on ebay
    [​IMG]

a nice c2duo or similar like lenofúck ///c2d is important they stay quiet are powerfull enough
    and you can treat them like (quasi touch )display with a stand and Pen (sometimes touch)
    instal minimal xp with the mighty Penguin (my fave :)
    [​IMG]
    without the basstation in the pic of course.

2) New
    !!!!just a second i know what you are thinking............BUT
    there are finaly some improvements on that front
    for example the new tc for the price of a plugin (their claim)

the cheapest hardware offering form RTW themself
    [​IMG]

just some usefull presets. small like a phone!
    the more expensive silver ones offer customization
    very cool indeed

the very experimental 3rd option might be you hacking self.
    with your Pi and the very cool Tracktion APi.

i would offer my full (but absolut noobish) support :)
    i´m serious!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017