Anyone here compared latest vs. of Pro Tools to other DAWs?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by panther5, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Aggrotech

Aggrotech Member

Reaper better than PT? ... Bad interface? What are you guys smoking? Or what 's wrong with your water.. .There is absolutely nothing wrong with PT. Especially with the best and most featured option of Freeze coming out now on 12.4 it's easy the best DAW out there together with cubase.

2. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

You seem to be too sensitive :)
    Every DAW has it's own weaknesses. PT is not excluded.

3. panther5

panther5 Kapellmeister

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry if I may have caused a minor shit storm, LOL. A previous comment kind of sealed it for me. It was mentioned that if I used mainly virtual instruments, maybe PT wasn't the best choice. This is indeed my case, so I'll probably stay clear. I've been using Reaper for a bit, and it works well for my style of recording, but there are so many options that I get lost sometimes...sort of like the guy that has to relearn everything after his coffee break. My memory is fucking terrible.

4. globalpeace

globalpeace Noisemaker

5. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

I agree - "best" is at best a meaningless term, but for my money different DAWs are stronger in different areas. I've been using Pro Tools since it was alpha=testing pre-release in 1990, and Logic since it was a C-Lab product in the 1980s, as well as periods with Live, Cubase, Performer and StudioVision (RIP), and almost any of these smokes ProTools as a platform for sequencing and arranging - PT has a clunky and slow implementation of MIDI and an approach to clip management that tries too hard to parallel its audio clip management. I can work far more intuitively on Logic while arranging, so I never use PT for that unless a project comes to me that's already started in it.

That said, for my money Pro Tools is an outstanding platform for recording, editing and mixing audio - the toolset is intelligent, very intuitive, and the key commands allow a power user to absolutely fly. It's also consistent with its interface, even through major upgrades, and extremely backwards-compatible. Software upgrades are reasonably priced, though I find hardware exchanges are increasingly not. But for me the greatest argument for working with Pro Tools is post audio - there is simply no other platform in the industry that touches it for post, both in editorial and in mixing. If I'm dialog editing I can link painlessly back to alt takes in original production audio, conforming to late picture cuts is easy and fast, and spotting FX to in/out/sync points is all at the fingertips, ADR recording is incredibly smooth and convenient, even for take reviews and doing quick comps while in session. As a mix environment it's a dream, though its greatest strengths there are realized only when working with a control surface, something that's beyond most users' budgets.

I frankly wish something would come along and bite Avid in the ass, on both the Pro Tools and Media Composer sides, since their dominance is not healthy for the industry in the long run. But for now, in my opinion at least, both are the class of their respective domains in the post world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. masterj

masterj Ultrasonic

ableton edm kids just mad they never got to use protools cuz they couldnt afford it and it was never cracked till now...tsk so sorry your feelings are hurt lmao "protools sucks amirite guise?"

7. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Absolutely agree with you and who won't given these points. There is always a way to make a reasonable argument. We all know PT is rather weak in midi but all primary cc functions are available but it's an industry standard DAW for the functions you have mentioned. I am a die hard Studio One user and I don't say it's world best. This is just childish. Thank you for educating me.

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

This aggrotech guy is making a career out of posting silly pro-Avid comments on AS.

Holy shit, stop the presses - PT is including freeze in version 12.4
    :rofl:

That's right up there with FLAC support after version 12. Ushering in a new era in music production, I tell ya. Worth every penny (about 100,000 of them)

Did you pay $100 for the update too? lmao

9. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Ableton and Reaper
    Simple and Advance
    Best Combination.:guru:

10. dr.evil

dr.evil Kapellmeister

Like all Murican things it's all about hype and marketing..

And of course lots of $$$$

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

The whole problem arises form this point that we're not interested to switching. Switching in all fields causes unpleasant feelings. Switching jobs, wives, apartments, etc. need efforts. It would be more joyful when we get rid of something and find more amiable situations.

All of us for some reasons love something. Me for example FL Studio for nice GUI, being faster, nice Synths, automating anything with just one click, having unique behavior on arranging clips, excellent mixer and ... . I would not use any other DAW unless I'd be convinced by other ones doing better but till now I have not seen such things.

Btw, I am not a record expert. all of them just inside my computer.

12. exr777

exr777 Producer

I can compare Cubase to Reaper. Capture.JPG

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. Hands up those of you who this DAW to do this and that DAW to do that. This implies something uncomfortable. That perhaps no 'workstation' is actually good at everything, making them all fall short of the mark, short of what a 'workstation' is intended to be. It's looking like the all-in-one solution to digital music-making has failed, perhaps is a bad idea anyway, and it reminds me of the 'Music Centres' of the past which contained cassette, record player and radio - even the digital versions are not hot sellers any more. Digital TVs and phones now have radio, I don't know anyone who listens to the radio that way. I think workstation makers are selling us something we don't really want. The OP's question is, in my opinion moot.

14. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

People who don't get Reaper are usually the ones who prefer to have a path/workflow already laid out.

Of course it has LOTS of options, you can make it behave anyway you want and do everything that other DAW's do and more (except stuff like Ableton, hence the good pair).

It looks like shit out of the box? Yes! ...but you can make it look like whatever you want, program all the crazy macros you need and on top of that, it's VERY responsive (fast). You can always bring in stuff you started elsewhere (Ableton) and get the job done.

You only have to configure it to your taste once.

15. foster911

foster911 Guest

Choosing a DAW is so important because it sometimes forms your thinking paradigm. I don't want to make it a philosophical matter but for example FL studio users usually are not inclined to use guitar instrument and so they loose gradually their tenancy to eg. rock musics and so forth. DAWs' or plugins seductiveness should never be underestimated.
    I think before choosing any DAW, a good listening to below stations is required::rofl:
    https://somafm.com/listen/
    (The best site for electronic musics. Listen to all of them. By listening to these stations, I am 100% sure that you'd love any genre. Because the perfect ones have been selected for streaming that you can not find anywhere and also sure you'd forget DAW selection and enjoy just listening. Creating things like these ones really need experiences even more than 10 or 20 years)

Specially the Doomed station. Used sounds in it are really from the hell. Maybe a gift from the devil for your Xmas.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  16. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

Dissing Pro Tools is the favourite pastime of those who hope that a software even wipes their asses because otherwise they have to read the manual and their head might burst.Name me a non indie-shitty-cheap-sloppy record that wasn t done with Pro Tools (this cuts out of the list the record your neighbor made in his bedroom,just to be clear)

17. foster911

foster911 Guest

What an idea!
    Maybe it'd be considered in the next release and the tool'll be totally renamed Pro Wiper.:rofl:
    Not helping much to our ears but maybe to our asses.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  18. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I guess it depends what genre you're talking about. If you mean people who don't actually work in a DAW, and just have an engineer do it for them, then yeah those albums were made in Pro Tools probably. Because Pro Tools is the universal tool of people who can't make music but want to be around it.

If you're talking any kind of production, I would wager Cubase, Logic, and Ableton are probably the the most used, in that order.

19. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

yes, every recording studio in the world, every artist supported by a label who doesn t beg for software throughout the internet and shares his music on warez sites because everyone is polite there and nobody will tell them they suck otherwise they ll get a blow back when they post their music must be a poor moron who needs a music engineer that can use PT .
    I would agree with u if we werent discussing this here where 9 ou of 10 times the stuff that people make is relied on pads,loops and crap, and with the fingers gallivanting on the white keys of the master keyboard

20. masterj

masterj Ultrasonic

while you're tapping pads to engage a guitar chord sample BWAHAHAH

but have you heard? Their EDM mixtape is now on soundcloud FREE! :rofl: