Anyone got any tips on getting realistic piano playing?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Bunford, Apr 24, 2017.

1. robotboy

robotboy Producer

If you know what chords you're after but just don't have the ability to make the changes smoothly, just record one chord. Yes, sit there and bang out one chord in the proper rhythm and then go into your DAW and change the pitch values. I used to do this all the time. Afterwards, keep practicing. You'll get there. :)

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is pretty much what I do now. I know major and minor triads, using the 4-3 and 3-4 rule) so can play the chords I want, but it all the fiddlier bits inbetween the main beats that piano players play to give it that life and movement. I am in the process of learning to play, but have been for years and it's just not clicking beyond the basics.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. robotboy

robotboy Producer

Only thing I know to say is to look into getting a teacher if you're not already taking lessons. I wish I had done it years ago. Don't be like me and regret it later down the road.

4. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

What you call "the fiddlier bits inbetween the main beats" is sometimes referred to as embellishments. Look up techniques such as auxiliaries, echapee, passing notes, appoggiatura, suspension, and anticipation. There's a book called Harmony for Computer Musicians by Michael Hewitt which describes all of these techniques in further detail. He has a couple other books he wrote specifically for computer musicians that are also good reads.

I've also learned some useful techniques from a few Youtubers. I recommend checking out Mangold Project and Bill Hilton. And when you're ready for more advanced stuff, look through Rick Beato's videos.

5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

When you get down the part the way you want, quantize it (yes, really) but then go into every chord and just slightly drag it into a very tight arpeggio so that the notes don't all quite start together, just like a guitar strum. usually, bottom to top or with the top note just leading the others by a hair. Experiment with the amount of slop util it sounds good to you. It will take for-f**king-ever but if you've already moused in an entire piano track I assume that doesn't bother you. :wink:

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Here is taking the song
    " Happy birthday"
    Then using phrasing and embellishment
    Developing the initial harmony , melody, rhythm of happy birthday .
    ( In this case thinking about some of the chamber music composers )

So
    What you want to do
    For realistic piano playing
    Goes as follows .
    1.understand the form
    .harmony
    .melody.
    Rhythm
    ( In context of a key center )
    Take and develop the cement foundation
    By using phrasing and embellishment

This is a complex process broken down simply as possible to describe to the answer to your question.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

If you take a KEY
    Use
    The V to I chord
    I V I
    ( For powerful resolution )
    Use
    IV V I
    To extend it.

Use I IV I
    So create less motion .

I iii vi chords can be swapped out each other
    ii IV swap each other
    vii V swap each other .

Add embellishments
    By take a chord first
    So Amin7 in key C

ACEG

Make melody by 3rd and 7th to start

G A C A

Then focus attention to a note

G A C A

Add decoration

G A { C# A# B C} A

I hope this helps inspire you my fine friend.