Anyone got any GPU suggestions to replace a GTX 1070?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, May 2, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have just upgraded my machine to an X570 system using the below as a base:

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Motherboard
    • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T CPU
    • 32GB G.Skill 3600 CL16 RAM
    I plan to soon upgrade the RAM to 64, or even 128GB to accommodate Kontakt libraries when making hybrid film score type of music.

However, I am also contemplating changing the GPU to an AMD card. I currently have an MSI GTX 1070 OC 8GB Armor Edition and, having never purchased an AMD GPU previously, I am wondering what is the comparable GPU in the AMD world so that I at least switch to similar or better? I'm happy to purchase preowned GPU as I won't be using it for gaming or anything and will only intermittently be pushed when I do some video visualisers for my music and so on. There's also a store local to me that sells preowned GPUs with a 24 month warranty for refund or replace if any issues, so would feel pretty safe. Anyone got any suggestions on what to switch the 1070 for that is, ideally, reasonably priced used and runs quietly when not being pushed? I also used to have a GTX 970 that had an annoying coil whine, so ones that don't have that would be good too :rofl:

PS part of the reason is due to contemplating installing macOS on one of my drives, meaning the Nvidia card will limit me to High Sierra whereas AMD will allow up to latest macOS.

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

For efficiency with gusto, RX 6600 (8GB) or RX 6800 (16GB) series.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

Ryzen Hackintoshes are a real pain in the ass:

AMD CPU Limitations in macOS

Unfortunately many features in macOS are outright unsupported with AMD and many others being partially broken. These include:

Virtual Machines relying on AppleHV
    This includes VMWare, Parallels, Docker, Android Studio, etc
    VirtualBox is the sole exception as they have their own hypervisor
    VMware 10 and Parallels 13.1.0 do support their own hypervisor, however using such outdated VM software poses a large security threat

Adobe Support
    Most of Adobe's suite relies on Intel's Memfast instruction set, resulting in crashes with AMD CPUs
    You can disable functionality like RAW support to avoid the crashing

32-Bit support
    For those still relying on 32-Bit software in Mojave and below, note that the Vanilla patches do not support 32-bit instructions
    A work-around is to install a custom kernel, however you lose iMessage support and no support is provided for these kernels

Stability issues on many apps
    Audio-based apps are the most prone to issues, ie. Logic Pro
    DaVinci Resolve has been known to have sporadic issues as well

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/macos-limits.html#cpu-support

Stable Diffusion and other AIs work faster and better with Nvidia cards, but you can hack them to work.

Anyway this is a good card: RX 6800 16GB

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  5. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

I would get an RX 6600/6600xt/6650xt depending on local pricing and availability.

I was in a similar position to you (good X570 system but without onboard video) and bought a 6600xt but I play games at 1080p too. It's cheap and power efficient. I don't think you would get it hot enough for the fans to spin up.

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

6600XT is on par, performance-wise,
    any powerful graphics card, when "idle", runs at fraction of its TDP and so practically fanless,

assuming you want some long lifespan, you're out of luck because neither nVidia (4000 series) or AMD (7000 series) have anything even close to being priced reasonably, compatible with MacOS, or any mid-end tier card yet

if you want hackintosh-friendly card, then something like RX6800 and 6800XT are most sane options