Anyone got a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32? Need help!

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have one of these but am unable to set it up to use with my DAWs (primarily Ableton). I have Komplete Kontrol 2.9.3 by @bobdule installed and have opened it in standalone and as a plug-in, and both work fine with my VSTs all scanned and so on.

My issue is that the manual (and all tutorials) say during setup as a MIDI device within the DAW settings, there should be a Komplete Kontrol M DAW option to select as the 8nput and output device. This is in addition to Komolete Kontrol M32 MIDI option, However, I seem to be missing the first (M DAW) one of these and only have the M32 MIDI option.

Anyone experienced this or got an idea of how to fix it? Limits my ability to use the M32 within my DAWs at the moment as only some features work as a standard MIDI controller that would need mapping etc.

I’m using Windows and the M32 is updated to latest firmware and connected to a USB port directly on the backplate of m6 motherboard.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I've got an A61 which should be pretty similar.

I've got "Komplete Kontrol A" in Control Surface with Komplete Kontrol A DAW as input and output. For you it should be the same control surface (A) but the input is Komplete Kontrol M DAW and output the same.

Under "MIDI Ports" I've got Komplete Kontrol A61 MIDI, and Track and Remote selected.

Like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah, that’s what I would expect but I don’t have the M DAW option, as stated. Searching seems to find similar experiences across a variety of DAWs:

https://community.native-instrument...how-komplete-kontrol-m32-daw-as-a-midi-option

https://www.reddit.com/r/NativeInst...p_needed_komplete_kontrol_m32_daw_is_missing/

Some searching talks about them getting stuck in MIDI mode, but not sure if this is the case or whether it’s something missing with the install of the drivers or Komplete Kontrol?!?!

https://forums.pluginguru.com/unify...ation-knob-and-buttons-on-komplete-keyboards/

I just can’t work it out and why it’s happening?!?!

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Ok, ok.

The M DAW should be there regardless of your keyboard mode. So if it's on MIDI mode it still should be there.

If you're on Windows, can you check from Device Manager if the driver is in DFU mode? (It will say DFU in the device name). If so then a reinstall might be in order.

To reinstall the Kontrol drivers, uninstall Komplete Kontrol first. Then uninstall the driver packages from "add or remove programs". If they still persist in Device Manager, uninstall them from there as well.

Then, unplug your keyboard. Reboot. Reinstall Komplete Kontrol. Try plugging it now.

Then you might want to check you're on the latest firmware.

Good luck.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Oh, one more thing before I'm heading to sleepytimeland.

My A61 is really picky about the USB connection. It starts doing weird stuff if it's through a hub, regardless of hub power, and independent if it's a high power socket. So straight to the computer it has to go. If you're on a laptop you might want to try out different USB ports as well, some lappys only have one high powered slot.

So my Kontrol does things like stops sending played notes on the keyboard after 10 minutes or so. The knobs work, the transport buttons etc. Everything else works, but not the keyboard.

So try USB changes, so you can at least cross off that from your list.

7. doobie

doobie Member

I have M32 but i use Mac, if you want the transport controls (such as play, stop , record etc..) ,
    my first row seleced in ableton midi preferences is control surface - Komplete Kontrol A - input - Komplete Kontrol M32 - output - Komplete Kontrol M32
    then i have anorher row selected with - Control surface - Komplete Kontrol A - input - Komplete Kontrol M DAW - output - komplete kontrol m DAW
    also in MIDI ports i only have track and sync checked for the first row of komplete_kontrol_a Input and as well as track and sync checked for the first row of Komplete_Kontrol_A output
    not sure why i need two rows for it but its always worked for me since ive had it

Attached Files:

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yup, got the DFU driver there:

upload_2023-6-6_11-6-0.png

And also got the latest firmware:

upload_2023-6-6_11-8-24.png

Will try the suggestions to uninstall and reinstall in a sec and report back :wink:

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

As per my OP, it's already connected directly into the back of my desktop with no hub in place, and I've also tried different USB ports on the back of my desktop too.

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is the issue, that is that I have no M DAW option:

upload_2023-6-6_11-12-5.png

upload_2023-6-6_11-12-34.png

11. doobie

doobie Member

12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Latest 11.3.2. But was present in previous version too, and same in Cubase 12.0.60 and Studio One 6.1.1, so I think it's more of an issue on the NI side that the DAW side.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  13. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

@Bunford

can you see "Komplete Kontrol M DAW" in komplete kontrol standalone, or has it disappeared there also?
    is you driver folder looking like this (below)?

[​IMG]

also, did you install MIDI devices or something lately?
    on windows there's this thing that only a certain number of MIDI devices can be installed/runned. can't recall what it was exactly, but when there are about 10 or so MIDI devices/ports installed others won't be recognized anymore. it was something like that, iirc. since "m daw" doesn't show up anymore this could be the case here (in theory at least).

14. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

I've been using S61 Mk3 in Reaper with Bob Dule Komplete Kontrol releases for close to 2 years with no issues. Maybe try downloading Reaper to test?

15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Any luck?

This thing here for FL Studio (hold on!) https://github.com/hobyst/flmidi-kompletekontrol has a troubleshooting section in the manual (direct Link: https://github.com/hobyst/flmidi-ko...ative-Instruments-Komplete-Kontrol-Manual.zip )

It has a procedure to reinstall the drivers which you also might try out. A side note, if you already had Bome MIDI loopback installed, you might want to uninstall that, then reinstall Komplete Kontrol, and then retry with Bome. NI uses Bome for communication apparently.

[​IMG]

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Done all of this now, and did a full uninstall, removing all drivers and deep cleaning registry etc before reinstalling, but it still hasn't fixed it and I still don't have the M DAW option!

17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

It does not appear in Komplete Kontrol either, neither in standalone nor as a plugin. This is after a fresh install too.

And my driver folder looks the same, but dated 2015 rather than your 2017 (this is using @bobdule latest 2.9.3 version of Komplete Kontrol):

upload_2023-6-6_18-25-3.png

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Will have a look at this now, but this looks different as I don't have the BomeMIDI drivers in mine:

upload_2023-6-6_18-30-8.png

19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Looks like I may have fixed it now. It seems like the issue comes from the fact that the @bobdule version doesn't install as administrator by default when double clicked to run (like R2R's version do). I just installed the 2.9.2 by R2R and it seemed to work, which then made me look at the difference a bit more, when I noticed the @bobdule 2.9.3 doesn't run as administrator by default. I tried to right click and run as administrator and then got some Bome Virtual MIDI installers pop up during the process, which wasn't happening before. Not sure if it's the installing R2R 2.9.2 first and then @bobdule 2.93 over the top, or whether just running 2.93 as administrator that worked, but it seems to have popped up with the necessary driver now. Now to see if it's actually working...

upload_2023-6-6_18-49-38.png

20. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

...and indeed it does now show up within DAWs too, so fixed :wink:

upload_2023-6-6_18-54-31.png

21. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Fantastic! :wink:

Next up you want to install the remote script so the knobs get automatically assigned to Ableton macros. NI's own scripts don't do that, but it's a 5 min job.

Get this:

Very very handy. Do ask if you run into further problems.