Anyone else who lives to make music know in their heart of hearts that the art of music is dead?

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by PassiveGuy, Mar 30, 2024.

1. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

Have that instinct?

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  3. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

luckily we have 100+ years of recorded stuff to sustain us through these dark times. (although the last 20 kinda sucked)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Two possibilities:

Either you look exclusively for what's popular, and it's entirely on you. What you actually feel in this case is a sense of your culture's growing irrelevance, which you try to escape by devaluing things that are coming to replace it.
    Don't be sad tho, the old-fart mainstream rock that's so dear to your heart keeps getting produced, and there's way, waaay more actually good music out there than it's ever been. Just delete Spotify, forget your way to mainstream music channels and it'll all get better.

Or it is dead for you specifically, which means it was never alive for you in the first place. You got into music not for the art itself, but for something else, didn't get it, and now feel disappointment and lack of motivation to continue.
    In this case, just don't continue. It was never something of value to you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. The King

The King Kapellmeister

Art never dies only changes to something else!

Nowadays everyone has access to tools and uses and makes sth before understanding the art of music. And when you say what he/she is doing, their first reaction is getting angry and ready to attack like a scorpion.

The only way coming to my mind is restricting their access to the tools, like a young doctor who is not permitted to have operation before taking lots of medical courses and acquiring various experiences.

I don't know why a car needs a license before driving but tools do not.:dunno:

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. JB44

JB44 Member

Best Answer
    It's odd the way people are nowadays. It used to be that you could exchange concepts and ideas and nobody took it personally .. like you insulted them. It's weird. How did we get here?

Without getting too philosophical or long-winded, yeah. I gotta tell ya, I've be writing and recording music since 1976 and .. I came across an article on AI in Rolling Stone and investigated it deeply and ..

I just looked at all these guitars and keyboards and thought, "What the hell am I doing here?".

So, yeah .. it's pretty much the truth.

I can tell you there's never been anything like it .. there is no comparison to anything else.

At the very, very least .. it's robbing people of the inspiration to continue and soon it will steal the motivation to even start to try.

7. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

Music never dies, but the music business commits suicide on a regular basis.
    never confuse music with the music business, they are 2 different things.
    People will always make music.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

The art of making music is very much alive in the heart of those who enjoy to make it.
    Social media algorythms are way more dangerous for artists than ai.

ai is just going to wipe out bullshit people that make the same trap beats over and over or stale synthwave with no personality.
    Algorythms can actually burry you if you don't fit the current thing or alienate your followers from you.

Nobody can strip you from the enjoyment of creating music other than yourself.
    You must overcome fear and anger in order to see more clearly, we all have up and downs.

:mates:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. pop 5tudi0oz

pop 5tudi0oz Newbie

There is a good chance that A.I. will exterminate the human race in the next 20 years, directly or more likely indirectly. Does this answer your question? For reference, check out interviews of Mo Gawdat, former chief business officer at Google X (A.I research).

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

i predict rural real estate price will skyrocket as folks run for their hidey holes..

11. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I don't care about the art of music.

The way sound waves affect my consciousness is magical to me.

The end.

12. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Producer

don't worry dude,
    as long as i'm alive i'll keep making music (art)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I wonder how many tens of thousands of doom cults there have been throughout human history. So far, they've all been wrong; all the way back to 150,000 BCE.

Doom cults are an expression of exceptionalism / eschatological urgency / recency bias inherent to humans.

People refuse to accept they're just average people living in an average age, closer to the middle of all of human existence than to the end or the beginning of it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  14. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Meh. I believe we're probably close to our doom. I don't feel exceptional or do anything about it for that matter. I'm just depressed.

15. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Damn... Foster, i'ts you again?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

good music does not have an experiation date

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

"Anyone else who lives to make music know in their heart of hearts that the art of music is dead?"

THAT is the usual bullsh1t every frustrated old fart let's out since 5.000 years ... Stop it! If you feel desperate, work on YOUR skills to make music great again. (Pun intended.) Don't strain our nerves. BTW: Your assumption is plain wrong and plain stupid. Facepalm.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

+1 agree.

Can the average person name the Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven of Ancient China? Ancient Egypt? Ancient Greece? Ancient Rome? Surely they existed and surely they were great. Their music hasn't died. But the people who listen to them have. Just like the people who listen to Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven will one day be no more. All of us will pass out of time in the exact same fashion. Our music will go right with us. Regardless of how we think. Music never dies, indeed, but it does become stranded in time when all the people who listen to it do.

19. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

Do you always fly off the handle like an old woman and start throwing nonsensical crap at people on the Internet? I meant to spark a conversation with an observation. Why would you let it trigger you so badly? Man - take your medication, dude. You look silly as hell yapping like an old woman about things you are very obviously illiterate to.
    :rofl:

20. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

Agreed. And some of the best songs ever created are coming out now, every day. I love it all and can't believe that I am fortunate enough to be alive during this time. But in the historical sense, I am sorry, it is not going to go down in history as music because the western twelve-tone system is completely exhausted already and has been for some time. All the same, I'ma party till the end. :wink:

21. PassiveGuy

PassiveGuy Noisemaker

Must be an inside joke. If not, you suck as a detective. :winker: