Anyone else notice surfshark intervenes with Rapid Gator downloads?

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Pedra Sofia, Apr 16, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

every time I download from Rapid Gator using surf shark vpn the file will start but then finish with an error claiming the file does not exist..when I by pass the vpn it works.

This is in Chrome macOSX Sonoma m1
    upload_2024-4-16_22-7-59.png

3. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

more than likely that's a function of CRAPidgator rather than the vpn... CRAPidgator, CRAPfile, and nitroSHIT. 3 of the shittiest "free" file storages on the planet...

4. canbi

canbi Ultrasonic

dl through edge, helped

5. Zoketula

Zoketula Producer

Had the same today with rg and katfile using Opera/Linux and a VPN showing an expired session. It worked without VPN.

6. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I can't comment on this combination, as RG is normally rock solid for me regardless of any VPN tunnels. Though I do use a *debrid service to handle these normally.

But I can suggest a workaround, if that might help: try using either a split VPN if your client (that is, either Surfshark'ss software, or your router) supports it, or an alternate endpoint/proxy for a second browser.

Or, in a pinch, use an alternative device with no VPN turned on, but that's not optimal, I know.

7. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Optimal is beside the point. It's not safe. Equate it the same as if you were on torrent.

8. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

I never had issues with NordVPN but surfshark chrome extension on Mac Sonoma seems to cancel out large downloads, maybe its because im using a decoy ID or some setting that is causing it but if its is then the site is collecting info of some sort

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  9. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

I switched from surfshark to proton and the same cr@p happened
    is nordVPN the only one that works..please confirm everyone lol

10. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

nordVPN has no issues, so fa surfshark and proton do

11. Stewart Daniels

Stewart Daniels Member

Been using RG (Paid) + ExpressVPN exclusively for the last 3 years, never a problem. Whatever RG is doing to people has not happened to me. Literally rock solid.

*Except the occaisional IP ban...I change locations and all is well again.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  12. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I've been using ExpressVPN for years, and while I don't like what's going on with them now and new ownership, they have been the best for me in terms of geolocation shit which is important to me, .... but katfile(especially) and other hosters simply don't like it... so I rarely download anything from the sister site, as it's a pain in the fucking ass.

remember when there were contributors here who actually provided free fast zippy links and whatnot?

those good days are gone with the money grubbing low life's who take others releases and desire to profit off of them...

it's a bit of a shame actually.

they know who they are.

13. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I just tried all of the above combinations with SurfShark and had no failures, not logged in as a user and no resume function.

Tired it on Chrome MacOS, Firefox MacOS and Brave MacOS. Didn't try it on Safari as that browser is configured to bypass the VPN by going to eth0 instead of utun[foo] for personal reasons.

You can have "Clean Web" and Alternative ID on but obviously you can not use rotating IP as the DL auth is IP based unless you have a sub/username with resume.

I don't use browser extensions, too many variables.

I have the actual services installed and run the app.

Sometimes I do shutdown the app and use the MacOS built in VPN router in Network or through the console.

The problem might be the browser extension, a security addon or service or something else to do with sub-nets and reconnects.

It's not SurfShark or most other commercial VPN providers. It's not new tech, if it is not working for you, you can blame what you want - even the interventions of invisible supermen from an other dimension, or you actually run a logger and find out what happened.

14. Zoketula

Zoketula Producer

With VPN on it still shows "You have reached your download limit". But you can just disable it temporarily until you got the download starting, close site and then switch it on again. I am more annoyed by the pop over/under from peeplink.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

RG and KF working fine here.

why use VPN anyway for both? whats the point?

16. Will Kweks

Ah, this is a free download from RG? As in, not the paid or not any of the debrid services?

This is simple, using a VPN is coming from a shared IP address, so the chances of it being one that's been recently been used is reduced dramatically. Especially considering a lot of people hitting RG come from behind a VPN being, you know, borrowers from the internet library and all.

As you've found out, changing the VPN endpoint (or disabling it temporarily) is the solution. You can also look into split VPNs for your download client again, or use a provided proxy from your VPN provider. Or use a paid provider for your downloads.

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I noticed RG changed lots of stuff recently, including captcha mechanisms, luckily my downloader quickly adapted those changes :yes:

18. Zoketula

Zoketula Producer

There's really no point. The vpn is on anyways and it's a little bit inconvenient if one site requires to click a few buttons but that's all.
    Yup, I don't see it as a problem. I was just commenting.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  19. Will Kweks

Ah sure, I got my wires crossed and thought you were the OP. My bad, apologies!

20. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Nord has been documented to collect logs and turn them over to whatever agency requests them. So yes. Nord has issues to stay away from.

21. Pedra Sofia

Pedra Sofia Ultrasonic

Nord claims they are not under the watch of 19eyes or other spy networks who also profit from selling marketing information.
    so who would you recommend for Mac users , amazon, chrome extensions etc?