Anyone else find Serum "too heavy"?

Discussion in 'Software' started by solo83, Mar 7, 2016.

1. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Not a bad sounding synth by far, on the contrary it sounds good. It's just that the sound (for me) is to in your face and harsh. It's like a beautiful woman's face on a hippo. I produce a lot of contemporary rnb and boom bap hip hop, and Sylenth, Zebra and Lush 101 are more subtle imo.

3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Kanye found the price a bit "too heavy" (allegedly):rofl:

Try this one, I like it and it's only €59 ... Xils-Lab are awesome :wink:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

CPU heavy, of course. It's in your face for real. I def have to adjust the envelopes on a lot of patches.

5. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

It's way cleaner (as in: less noise) than other synths, IIRC it is like 120dB less noisy than Massive, thus giving you that really sharp and solid waveforms. Matter of taste really, I like the pristine sound it creates.

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

I thought I was the only one lol. Feels like it has an aggressive edge that isn't bad in its own right. It just makes the synth hard to mix with other synths.

I use a lot of Spire, SynthMaster, LuSH-101, Dune, etc. And they mix very well together. But throw in a Serum and it ends up a little strange.

Again, not bad sounding per se. Just not for what I am going for. I've found if I make a song with only Serum, it sounds great. But when I try to layer in other synths, the cohesion of the track takes a slight hit. So I generally avoid it. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Horses for courses :wink:

8. pentagram1

pentagram1 Noisemaker

i like it a lot...on it's own. 'heavy' is a good description; find it doesn't play well with my other synths (mostly nexus2, spire, hive, sylenth 1).
    but occasionally...it's useful for exactly what it does well.

9. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

In my opinion, Sylenth and Massive sound almost bandlimited, they have no sub and no air, and i think the reason for this is that you're supposed to layer and layer them. This limited frequency range makes them easier to mix, since you're stacking sounds like lego without much frequency overlap.

Personally, I don't like this, I rather be given all the richness and choose how much I want to dilute.

Take a pad in serum, omnisphere or diva for example, they almost always have to be high passed otherwise they clash with the bass.

10. pentagram1

pentagram1 Noisemaker

serum takes up too much space in a mix (not always, of course). simpler sounds allow for more sounds. i mean...a track with serum, a bass, a beat..could be really nice. but if i want to layer things, each part has to be simple enough, clearly-defined...so as not to overwhelm the other sounds around it. still, it's all subjective, and lots of times, i like dense, full mixes. so overall, it's a great synth...

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  11. John V

John V Ultrasonic

Anyone else could use Serum? It asks me for the serial number every 2 seconds. Vey high CPU but it sounds awesome!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. neo lover

neo lover Kapellmeister

It's a synth - Initialise a patch - Pick a sine wave - Listen - It's not a harsh sine wave -

Admittedly a lot of the patch's are designed with aggression in mind -

I like Serum -

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. pentagram1

pentagram1 Noisemaker

personally, i don't find it aggressive, as much as i find it 'thick'...i think it's a great plugin (that's why i bought it), just agree that it fills a lot of space

14. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I actually like the very same thing. I find that it's sound cut through the mix quite easy. I don't need patches that sound massive & lush & whatever on their own. I just need that sound that's narrow enough to sit in the mix, and Serum delivers. Sometimes with Diva I have to EQ out half of the sound just to fit in a busy mix.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I purchased it back when was that launch discount price. Never asked for serial number since then.

16. GokhanH33

GokhanH33 Ultrasonic

Yesss. Too much CPU usage. But sounds are nice and fat!

17. Caldera

Caldera Producer

Try UVI Falcon, this ultimate synth has it all. Low CPU, very analog sounding, far better FX, massive wavetables and so on.
    With Falcon you have it all. Try it yourself but.... it's not yet cracked!

18. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

:rofl:

19. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

I do not agree! Of course, when you listening thru Trap, Dubstep and such presets, you'll get what the genre needs - harsh synths. You can have them too in Sylenth, Massive etc as well.

When a sound is too harsh - cutoff, and it's not harsh anymore. Furthermore, dive deeper into synth sound creation - limiter, multiband comp, distortion... these fx are almost on every preset ON in Serum. Try to start to make "your" sound from the init patch, browse thru the wavetables and do the magic with modulation. Serum is able to produce very lush sounds! How about this?

Or this one?

20. Rectifier

Rectifier Noisemaker

Am I the only one who hates Serum ?
    I guess I'm more of an analog type of guy

21. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Couldn't agree more. It's very CPU heavy as well. Also, some patch banks aren't so "Heavy" - Like Aiyn Zahev's "Halcyon" is amazing for soothing sounds. Also, LP24's "Ambient and Chillout for Serum" is nice.
    A synth I like but it's also very heavy on CPU is Spire. Beautiful gorgeous sounding synth. Closest thing I've ever heard to the Access Virus (Spire is tied for 1st place with Nexus2 in terms of an Access Virus emulation, even though it's nearly impossible to emulate).
    Serum is very EDM inspired, IMHO. If you listen closely you can almost hear an angry screamo singer yelling at 13,000 dB - "Yoiyoioyoiyoi Imma fuck your mother in her motherfucking ass hole tonight. YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Wahwahwahwah! You piece of shiiiiiiiit!!! DIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's just my opinion. I'm not ashamed of it. And we won't even go into how Kanye west tried to pirate it because Kim Kardashian used his legit copy as a dildo in her 10,000 mile wide 600,000,000 joules of ass because she got sick of Kanye the 2 inch wonder. Upon contacting customer support, Steve Dudass told Kanye they wouldn't replace Kanye's license because they don't cover "stinkhole damage" for licenses.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: