Anyone built their own studio desk? Let me see them for inspiration :)

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Bunford, Feb 2, 2019.

1. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I built my own, 6ft wide, with a shelf for monitor and monitors... all oak, cost me about 200 bucks, had it 6 years now, still as shiny and smooth as day 1.

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, so here is where I am up to with the design. I have a leather arm rest to put on the front two. However, I am struggling for idea on how to get desk top rack space under the monitors, and have enough space for two 24" monitors to suspend over my DAW controller (I have a floating dual monitor arm that clams to the desk). I am wanting to essentially put all my signal path and processing units in the two leg racks (as shown below) and then I intend to buy some synths and hopefully be able to rack mount them under the speakers in some way, so they are reachable easily.

Any inspiration, feel free to throw my way :wink:

New Desk Plans.jpg

3. Infidel

Infidel Producer

My desk is a 6 foot by 30 inch by 2 inch thick worktable ($250) set between 2 43 space skeleton racks($150 ea). Rack mixer flush mounted in the middle with one drawer ($20) for PC keyboard and another ($30) for controller keyboard. a riser(($12) for 2 PC sreens 3 (FR, C, FL) monitors and 2 4 space racks. There is also 2 tube TV wall mounts to "fly" the stereo monitors off of the racks above the other monitors. Total cost was about $670 over a few year period. To start I had one rack and a $50 counter top. $200 to start and just kept improving.

Yeah that is 94 rack spaces. :wow:

Tried to upload pictures to mainroom.pro but it didn't like the format.
    maybe i'll try again soon.
    Acoustics are next if I can ever stop buying guitars. :metal:

What type of synths are you getting?

4. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

I'm going to upgrade to this 38" monitor.

that's strange, perhaps you were trying to upload PNG? :dunno: it should be JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Nice! Only thing I would suggest, if possible, would be to have the racks angled in (tilted). Like this https://www.kmraudio.com/studioracks-12u-angle-faced-rack.php. The 90 degrees (straight faced) make it harder to work with when you are sitting. The meters and dials cant be read as easily.
    The decision that you would have to dwell on the most on is going to be the rack space under the reference monitors. If you build it to high you may end up with a reference monitor placement that is not optimum. If you place the reference monitors straight up, as the majority of them should be placed, they could be out of alignment with your ears. Of course you could have them on their sides but not all monitors are designed for such placement. My advice would be to enlist help of a friend, sit on your chair and measure how high you can go on the reference monitors rack. If rack is too low it is better than too high. You can use isolation pads , and the chair can be adjusted 2-4 inches, so keep that in mind, too.

6. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

The synths I am planning are rack mountable ones, such as Model D and Pro One layer this year, a Virus Ti2 etc. Maybe one or two old school ones like the Bass Station Rack etc too.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Nice monitor. A tad out of my price though! I currently have three 24" 1080p monitors, and reducing to two as with 3 I found my focus drifting and watching YouTuve visa etc on 3rd monitor. Is there a decent cheap ultrawide out there that gives similar real estate to two 24" 1080p monitors?

9. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

#ChasingThePerfectStudioErgonomy

Ive discovered I feel much more confortable looking slightly down towards the screen. cant stand looking straight forward and even less upwards towards it for longer periods of time. trying to figure out a way to half dig the screen into the desk somehow, in an angle. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Couldn't you just buy a clamp mount and havehthe monitor arm place the monitor out far enough towards you so you could then lower the monitor to desk level and tilt back a bit?

11. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

I treated myself to one of those beauties a few months ago. Certainly not cheap but great for DAW work etc:

desk pose.JPG

Note the homemade desk built from a Wickes fire door - £35 when i bought it, some time back. I didn't get the rounded edges as perfect as i'd hoped, but life's too short to get too OCD...

12. kato

kato Newbie

If you're good with wood, dig this:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List