Anyone Annoyed by the Symlink/No Install Trash?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GreatJobChamp, Nov 15, 2017.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure if he meant how to use it, not to create it.

2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You're right pal, but if you don't first look at existing ones it's kind of impossible to learn.

3. donsakana

donsakana Newbie

Symlink is a shortcut that the system defines for itself as a path. You can, for example, create a "documents" or "desktop" folder on the D drive, then delete these folders on the system drive and then create a symlink in cmd.exe:
    mklink "file to link" "file for true destination"
    Example:
    mklink /d "C:\Users\user\Documents" "D:\Documents"
    /d - is for directories.
    the system will not notice the difference: for it it will be the default folder with documents, but for you as a user it will be convenient to place the folder with documents or downloads on another drive. everything is simple. also with vst: you can open these cmd files in notepad and check.
    in the end, you can just save the downloaded folders in the any place you need, and run the commands

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Although this appears to be a long-dead thread it is obviously a zombie thread, so I will add my 2 cents, or pesos, etc. as the currency may be .

Of course you should not "delete" those folders if you have anything in them.
    As a matter of fact, it is best to just copy those folders to your new location, and then confirm they have been copied intact with any files and subfolders.
    Only then should you delete the originals and then create the symlink.
    The handy tool in my signature may be the best and easiest to use.
    It is easier and safer than using a command-line method.

5. MRFEENIX

MRFEENIX Kapellmeister

If it were not for these uploads i would not have understood them.As Arturia keeps changing V numbers of their Dll files I worked out how to keep them by opening the REG files and keeping the lines i needed so as to just place the files and then run the reg. Not advanced stuff but now i have V, V1, V2 etc all available for older projects. I don't actually use the symlink but if the upload had not been available i would not have been able to take it apart to understand and learn a little.So no not annoying