Anybody using an Elgato Stream Deck?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

If so, what is your experience?

3. Hybridstudios

Hybridstudios Ultrasonic

i was given one for christmas, dont know if id use it to its fullest since the macro's id use on it i already use on an ipad

4. Darkhorizon

Darkhorizon Member

Hi. I have one. They are good but i believe they are not a "must" for music producers. I have all my studio one action keys and shortcuts there, but i keep finding myself using the keyboard more. I find it faster. Maybe I'm too used to it. Still, it is a great tool and looks awesome in my desk (haha)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I've got one since around 2 years.
    I use it as an extension for my Windows desktop ~ quite the same as another screen for commands only.
    Plus you can handle commands for programs you use a lot such as Cubase and Live for me. You get one or more command screens per Program.
    It stands directly in froint of my tablet (or mouse mat) and I can start programs and push a button for a command without rolloing the mouse.
    This way my Desktop is now completely empty.

Main screen
    Main.jpg

Cubase Commands
    Cubase.jpg

Its a bit of work to integrate it but I use it extensively. And its rock solid.
    Usability wise one of my best investments. Far better e.g. as my touch screens.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  6. glassybrick

glassybrick Producer

just buy any tablet (ios/android) and use metagrid/TouchOSC/Lemur
    Much more cheaper, much more powerfull in workflow question

7. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

I use it for managing plugins. Its great

I launch them by using Open command on streamdeck to open a autohotkey script. I can modify this script so it recognized which daw im using. The script in bitwig basically just uses hotkey commands to add the name of the plugin i want to the search field and selects it from there. Sounds complicated but its simple

You can also make multi action hotkey on streamdeck but since i have like 1000 plugins, i needed to make external script that i can modify and make sure that this can be used long into future

I also have kontakt presets there.

I like this and for this purpose i would get the xl model

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I've had one for about four years and I never got into actually using it in any kind of workflow. On the other hand I'm not heavily involved in production, if I were I would probably use it. If you do something every day for hours on end then I can see it being useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. typical-love

typical-love Producer

I've thought about it a lot but I kind of feel like it would end up like some of my more elaborate custom actions on my toolbar in Reaper: I'll just end up doing whatever action manually before remembering I can hit a button for it lol

10. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I've been playing with the idea of buying a Streamdeck for a long time. But the argument that it's just another toy that takes up space on my desk and collects dust has prevailed so far.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

So it's a useful gadget, but not a must have, and it looks cool on the desk? Is that about right?

12. Hybridstudios

Hybridstudios Ultrasonic

i set mine up yesterday and have some things on it that ive made my own shortcuts for in nuendo and to do things that i dont have on my ipad and it probably can speedup a workflow at times b/c i wont need to go into menus or use the keyboard shortcut i made, just simply press the button on the streamdeck. its works, its not a must have but i think it can work well for me and is officially on my desk next to my monitor controller.

13. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Its quite right.
    But I won't classify it as a sheer gadget. It lets me focusing on other things than pushing around the mouse. I'm the physical knobs and sliders type of guy. So its easier for me.
    A tablet with software buttons is just not the same for me. I tested it.
    As always it depends. :)

14. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

It's actually not as gimmicky as many people think. I've been planning to get one just for FL Studio shortcuts.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I don't own a mouse, and I haven't for some time. I use a Wacom tablet as a traditional trackpad and for general editing with the pen. I've also got a Midi Fighter Twister setup for certain things that need quick access to multiple knobs (great for EQ & synths, etc), and I have a large trackball for wrist position variation and micro adjustments to random parameters. Finally I have a single Faderport for automation, so as you can see I am a bit of a gadget freak :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I own many mice. I live in a timber-framed house :rofl:

I'm working exclusively with Wacom tablets as well for > 20 years.
    But when I say that, people always think I'm a weirdo.
    Just think about how many kilometres of mouse sliding we've already saved in our lives. But tell them and nobody understands. :cheers:
    It's the same with the Stream Deck.
    So to each his own. I'm not trying to convince anyone.

:crazy:
    The first laptop I had didn't have a trackpad. So I bought a trackball. After two days I had an inflammation in my thumb joint and a thumb twice as big: It still hurts me occasionally until today.

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

A Wacom tablet is the best trackpad ever :)

How big was your trackball? You need the large pool ball sized one that you can operate with your finger tips, or the flat of your hand, and there is hardly any wrist tension either :wink:

18. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Long ago but I guess it was 2 inch max.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Thanks for all the balanced opinions which more or less mirror my own thoughts. The only thing that may swing it for me is getting a pack like this one for my DAW, but even then I am still not totally convinced :)

https://www.sideshowfx.net/reaper-mc-stream-deck

Of course, the convenience of mapping unlimited actions should not be underestimated, but this can only be evaluated when using the device. I also track guitars away from my desk quite often, so this could be another use case.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  20. Darkhorizon

Darkhorizon Member

Exactly!