Anybody recommend me cheap, but decent monitor speakers?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, Apr 3, 2017.

1. EchoBoyoy

EchoBoyoy Newbie

I agree that really good monitors for $$$ are the JBL LSR305 ones.

I recently A/Bed a lot of monitors in a well treated room and seriously between various Genelecs, the JBL LSR305s and the Adam F5s along with many other types and ranges from decent to great there was more audible change from moving my head around than quality differences in bass, mids and trebles over a wide range of reference material that I listened to carefully and over a few hours with breaks.

It was a beautifully set up room where nothing was near the fully treated walls and there were quite discernible differences but using my ears and tricking myself I was often getting confused as to which pair were playing.

Now my hearing has deteriorated with age but not that much. I have been involved in teams recording symphony orchestras and gone the whole process with some well known singers and do compensate for some measurable high tone gentle curve loss above 14k. Of course the larger the bass speaker the more bass one could detect but much of the difference could be compensated for in vol and EQ.
    I was so impressed with the JBLs that I nearly bought them and wondered later if spending a fair bit more on Adams was brand bias.

In fact I have a full signal chain as Teutonic as Tannhauser (except for guitars,some keys and amps) but I am still thinking of four JBL LSR305s and maybe a sub when working in surround in a bigger good room.

2. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

JBL LSR 305 all the way for the cash = quality ... i have many of Monitors setups from old Genelec,Yamaha,KRK,and more... JBL half the price of some and the response Low to High is as good as you will find for an average of $300 a pair \m/,, \m/ center field is killer with the wave guide on these ;)

3. score

score Member

dynaudio M5 :wink: or maybe m6

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

5. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

I see you're located in Wales. Bear in mind some suggestions posted are much better value in the US than in Europe (the Presonus Sceptrs, for example).

The JBL LSR305s are recommended across the globe. They sound good, but their build quality is not very good. I'm guessing that since they're quite recent problems aren't showing up yet. They do hiss quite a bit as well, AFAIK.

Monitors are something you usually keep for a looong time, so choose wisely. I'd save up a bit (finance if you can) and get something with a good track record. I went through this same matter a while ago, and here are my recommendations (very well regarded in its price points):

- Focal Alphas
    - Focal CMS65 (they're discontinuing this series and selling dirt cheap in Europe)
    - Adam A7x (or HEDD Type 05/07, which are their "improved" successor)
    - APS Klasik
    - Eve SC205
    - Dynaudio BM5
    - Neumann KH120
    - Sonodyne SRP 600 (a bitch to find)

Check out their prices and if you can't hear them make a choice based on your budget, room and positioning. I'm waiting for an order of Neumann KH120s and Focal CMS65 so I decide which ones to keep.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. Ampersound

Ampersound Noisemaker

I recommend going into a music store and listen to ones in your price range.
    I personally really like Monkey Banana monitors but decided to pay a bit more and got a pair of Adam.
    Be aware that your studio, or room where you plan to listen to them matters a lot. You will most likely need some acoustic treatment.

7. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

JBL LRS 305 will not disappoint. For even something smaller and portable, but not as good: IK Multimedia iLoud Monitors.

8. Mystic Studios

Mystic Studios Noisemaker

I agree with BlueRover. The JBL LSR series are amazing and for the price they can't be beat. I have owned and demo'd lots of monitors. For me, I love the JBL's the most. As for anything though, peoples taste and opinions vary, so try to go to a local music shop and demo some yourself. Then go on eBay and get a good deal on them. :)

9. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

Either get the yamahas or KRKs.. value for money. Don't waste your cash on cheap shit that you will most likely replace later because they will suck. Spend your money wisely. Anything you replace later, it's money thrown in the garbage.

10. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

I've been using JBL 305's for a few years now. the best investment i've made in life so far:thumbsup:

11. lovebeats

lovebeats Ultrasonic

i agree yamaha hs80m or krk rp8

12. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

I 2nd this. I bought a pair on the fly when my other mackies decided it was time to die. Although i have upgraded since then , They got the job done and a very good price, worth a look.