Anybody following Eurovision Song Contest?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Matt777, May 13, 2017.

1. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I listen to every possible kind of music this world ever produce(d). In different ways, of course. I know that today I will watch the Eurovision show, reading funny, sarcastic, angry.. tweets. It always makes me laugh which helps /w my anxiety/depression.. ;)

Still, based on Sanremo Music Festival held in Italy, since 1956 is one of the longest running and most watched TV shows in the world. It launched the careers of ABBA, Celine.. but not many others. Many changes in all these years though.. Any thoughts? :P

Voted the best EV song of all times is Domenico Modugno – Nel blu dipinto di blu (1958) "Volaaare, ooh.." but close second is ABBA -Waterloo (1974). Easy on the eyes too..

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Nope!

But if you do, it's the annual opportunity to get a good laugh :yes:

4. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

EV boosted the career of many others, but at smaller levels. Remember Ruslana - Wild Dances, Loreen - Euphoria, Helena Paparizou, Tornero song, etc

5. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

Anybody following Eurovision Song Contest?

nope.
    it's the work of the Devil.

except the year when Lordi won :drummer: :headbang::metal:

:crazy::mad:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Beth

Beth Guest

Yes my name is Beth. I have been coming to this little support group for a long time . I will be honest. I will probably be watching...(short pause and hesitation, swallows ....) Euro.....vis...ion.....yes ....Eurovision later tonight!"

There i said it !!! :rofl:

And as you say @Matt777 it can be especially funny if you have a twitter feed and follow the comments from people. I have a very eclectic music taste too so that helps a lot :)

But hey since when was Australia in Europe lol.

You just have to give into the over the top craziness of it all.....well of course you dont have to.... but its fun for a few hours :)

OK there's my forum reputation down the tubes huh :winker:

7. Alchemy

Alchemy Kapellmeister

You do not need to be in Europe to be in the competition, you can be a member of a television organization. that is why Israel has been in for a long time. Even Morroco was in once. Volare is the most covered Eurovision song ever. Selling around 22 million copies. Australia has followed the competition and was granted to participate in the 60th anniversary. Because they ended fifth they were allowed to participate again. The songs can be max three minutes long and there can only be six people on stage during the performance. Ireland has won seven times, Sweden six. Who will win tonight? Who? Who? Whooo?

8. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

Lol noooo noo and nooo, politic song me not watch,:bleh: i remember last year australia (in europe:rofl:) was winning and all of the sudden mysteriously Ukrain wins (offcourse they need to cover up war and crimes there so give them win)
    too bad last 4-5 years they use this euro song contest for political despute!:dunno:

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Hearing the word Eurovision triggers an angry DJ in me.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Swiss Made

Swiss Made Member

NO WAY.
    Even reading a book about the masturbating habits of platypuses is a better idea than this huge piece of #*µ§. Depression is not an excuse.

[​IMG]

11. TW

TW Guest

I might watch if i am bored XD. There are allways some freak performances. It is like a Ghost train ride fun and scary at the same time ...

west Germany 1979 :woot::woot::woot: :rofl:

12. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Nah. I prefer music made the old-fashioned way, by musicians. Pop created by a committee is like having nothing but a Health & Safety poster to read when all you really wanted was an explanation of Moby Dick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

fuck yeah (nah, I have a gig tonight... :) )

14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I'm no expert, but if forced to sit and watch the whole thing, I may be reaching for some razor blades to chew on before the results come in!!!

Oh Bethh (looks to the heavens, arms outstretched, and almost completely lost for words)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English Prime Minister Theresa May famously keeps saying "Brexit = Brexit"

Eurovision translation = Brexit means "Nil Pois"

15. Beth

Beth Guest

what is that gurgling sound i can hear ??? oh yeah ...that's my rep being flushed away:rofl:
    That's OK though i am a quite secure in my multi-faceted personalty :crazy: but have no fear normal forum decorum will be resumed shortly...

And yes you may well be correct that Brexit=Nil Pois lol

16. MORTIX

MORTIX Kapellmeister

I Am! I`m from Portugal! And i have to say that is a honor to see my country sing a beautiful song in the origin language, without succumbing to all the flashes and pop bullshits that is the today formulas to compete in what other time was a great festival.. So kudus to him! He`s name is Salvador Sobral and was a street singer and yes he has some weird moves but that what make him unique! And i hope it Wins not because is from my country but because he only focused in what matters. A simple great Song!

You can check it here:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

If it were the Eurovision Bong Contest, I'd be right there. One hit on a bong for every point scored by your home country. If you pass out before the end of the show, your country won.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  18. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

A long time ago when I was about 13, I used to watch the Eurovision...

19. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Supporting the 3 chicks from NL > Og3ne :disco: "And our 12 points go to ..."
    But yeah, it's one big circus with a lot of laughs. However, there were some nice (dance) songs that won over the years.
    Haha Lordi, remember them indeed. What about Conchita Wurst and Dana International? :rofl:

20. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

As a Swede, I lolled a bit. There are tons of artists, songwriters, choreographers, etc who got a huge boost because of the ESC.

I'm not actively following it, but I have friends of friends who have written several songs for other countries. I think there are 9 out of the 26 songs that have Swedish writers or co-writers.

From what I have heard I would pick these, but the world is unfair:
    1) Sweden (Yes, I'm biased and probably totally wrong!)
    2) Portugal
    3) Italy
    4) Cypress
    5) Australia

21. Beth

Beth Guest

Yes i think i have noticed that about Swedish songwriters :) Sounds like a great forum to get some publicity for your work if you want to that way.

Eurovision voting can very political that's for sure. Countries tend to vote for their friends and neighbors and who knows if the voting itself is rigged lol.

But I have an idea.... lets attempt to solve all the world's political problems musically by having song contests instead of firing missiles at each other. We can start off with "KimJongTrumpavision"........the USA and North Korea put forward a song and everyone else in the rest of the world votes. Trump would probably win despite his outrageous tweets about how fake the North Korea track is. The loser then backs down and resigns. The world is a happier, safer place because of music ...ta da !!! :wink:

...or may be it would lead to WW3 over who had the most catchy chorus and zany gimmick ???

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List