Anybody else gone off making electronic music?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zenarcist, May 10, 2017.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I've totally gravitated back towards my guitars (Tele, Strat, Les Paul, and a Precision Bass) and I use them with a Kemper Profiler Amp for recording.

I still use a few soft synths such as Diva, Oddity2, TAL-U-NO-LX, Solina, impOSCar and Op-X Pro-II. And I also have an original Roland Alpha Juno and a Korg MS-20, which I am using a bit more these days.

I'm not sure if I'm going through some sort of electronic backlash, or if I just prefer guitars, but it all seems a bit more organic to me.

Anybody else experiencing a similar kind of thing, or is it just me :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I go back and forth as you do it seems, but I don't really have an aim when making music it can end up w/e genre it wants to be.

I think making electronic music for the sake of it being electronic because that is what's cool is bad form.

Make whatever you want and use the sounds that are called for.

Electronic music can be very organic and sensual as well and trends start like that but then you get all the people who are in it for the money - repetition and formulae set in and you end up with the saturated crap we have today.... the same can happen to any style of genre and it does.

TLDR - Yes, I am experiencing the same backlash to creative less formulae music as you at the moment. Especially trans-stabs and bombastic fake orchestral crap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

On my side (i commented about this on sister site :D), i'm totally bored by all those commercial ways of draining music creativity.
    Everyday, there are MORE ambiant, orchestral, cinematic...banks than anything else (even dubstep/trap...). But WHY ?

Because most ppl LEFT music making for the music only, and now they just want to make music for games, films and such.
    Money is here, it seems...

I'm back to my guitars, and i will still blend them with computers. But i left this "all in the box" electronic world : it is a dying world, submerged by money more than creation...sadly.
    It remembers me when hiphop culture was absorbed by capitalism around the end of 80's. Now you hear hiphop music everywhere...but there is (almost) nothing alive anymore.

5. G String

G String Rock Star

I think guitars use electrons too. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I don't agree with this at all. I left making electronic music (bar the odd techno mess about) because the scene became oversaturated with shit with about a gazillion different "genres" and a "future everything" genre. Next will be "infinitiy everything". It's all become bullshit.

I left that because my roots are in playing instruments, primarily guitar but also bass and drums. I make film score/orchestral music nowadays because that is way more interesting, more creative, more musical in the sense that you need somewhat of a music theory understanding instead of a Martin Garrix-like click the piano roll and hope, an understanding of acoustic instruments and how they are played and how they fit together to make a cohesive musical unit and I am most definitely not doing it for the money because I mainly just do it for myself in my project studio along with the odd upload to soundcloud etc, which makes me no money.

People have left electronic music for film/game music, not for money, but for similar reason as I have I would hazard a stab at, i.e. for making enjoyable music that isn't filled over the brim with drivel to pedal push the EDM "brand". It's actually quite creatively liberating to make music without boundaries instead of having to have that triplet, that wobble or that pluck to fit in with a bollocks EDM genre that some twatty 14 year old "invented" in his bedroom with a cracked Sylenth with no understanding of where electronic music came from and has no concept of the warehouse raves of the late 80s and 90s that created the electronic scene. But he's cool and just invented Future Birmingham Donk.

.....rant over :rofl:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm enjoying the percussive nature of my guitars, along with their dynamics. Also our fingers have a big effect on the sound, and different strumming/picking styles can also make a difference.

I just hope a guitar backlash doesn't come too soon, as I am really having a lot of fun :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I spent years in the pursuit of making a good dance track. Finally got a major label to sign me and I was blown away back in 1997 to see my vinyl in the top five at an HMV store. Hearing it out at a club, I almost wept. For me, I'd set myself a goal and achieved it. I still have 14 keyboards but I make folky guitar music for my own enjoyment and I have a few connections in Prog Rock... especially with the singer of a recent Hall Of Fame inductee. None of the above should allude to me actually making money as a musician. I made more in cover bands in the 80's in a weekend than I have in the last 10 years.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Having an actual instrument in your hand, so to speak, is infinitely more pleasurable than clicking on a piano roll.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. electriclash

electriclash Guest

It's in the air I think- this just arrived yesterday:
    20170503_200324.jpg

Wanted a hardtail with active pickup for a strict E♭ tuning and this guy fit the bill perfectly. A few years ago I just couldn't get down the same way with emerging electronic styles and found great success in scoring documentaries. And now, as others have mentioned, I'm finding myself going back to the beginnings for the most pleasure. Hear, hear BRING BACK THE GUITARS!! lol

:drunks::drunks::drunks: To not drinkin alone!! Cheers man!! :wink::wink:

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  11. I wouldn't say I've moved on from electronic music, electronic music is music to me. What I have turned away from is the ultra "supercool" aspect of all of the hyped orgasmic sounds of so called futuristic artists with basically the same tune playing 12 times on every album. Sometimes I use drum n bass to lull me to sleep nowadays. I get that we all need to make a living, but spare me the stories of how you broke ground with your Roland TB-303 and brought people to tears in chill-out rooms across the globe in the good ole' golden days. No disrespect, but music has been around for a long time.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I pretty much never left me guitars and basses... only dabbled in the electronic production to learn a thing two...
    still not sure I did learn much, if anything... another reason why Reaper works so well for me.. just simple and straightforward
    dealing with recorded audio... I don't own a Rhodes..or a Steinway grand.. so those shall remain in the digital realm
    for the foreseeable future, though I'd snap up a nice Rhodes in a heartbeat if the right deal came along...

just feel there's a lot more soul, skill, and struggle involved in banging something out on some wood-metal combo..
    the variance in the results you get playing them,overtones, undertones, instrument noise, is a source of freshness
    and an antidote to perfectly reproduced and repeated notes generated from purely digital sound sculpting.. verité

If you have the time.. not a bad insight into the challenges and rewards of dealing with
    outboard gear from the birth of rock :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
  13. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I had lost my electronic inspiration and drive for a year or two. Then I grabbed a guitar and started writing really stripped down stuff reminiscent of The Replacements, early REM and Pavement. After about a year of not touching the synths, and only playing guitar, the electronic desire returned and now I'm doing both simultaneously. I'm digging the parallel universes at my fingertips now and enjoy each more for having the other.

14. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

A couple years back I realized that the only music that survived the test-of-time were songs . . . something with a melody, harmony, etc. EDM is based on production and works in the moment, for a moment, but 99.9% of the tracks will be disappear when the next beat emerges. Songs can be re-produced and be viable again, but something based on production . . . . Has anyone seen my Rickenbacker?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Doesnt have to be one or ths other. I love how this artist is blurring the lines and bringing it all together

and that sax break, so sxC

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Im just saying tho, I make edm but I write the songs on my takamine before i play them into the piano roll 20170511_002310.jpg
    This was a hiphop beat actually, scribbled on the back of some junk mail (the closest thing to me when I got inspired). The chords on the right is where I started transposing it and fleshing them out. I think I was eating pizza for dinner at the time when it hit. I see the finger prints on the envelope lol or it could be finger ease.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I really hate to say this m8 .. (and as a proud owner of 2 Rickies ) , if you don't know where yours is... it probably has a new "owner" :bleh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

OMFG! What a beautiful axe. What's her name?

19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

you see that beautiful gray haired old lady on the back hip? her name is Vincent Price.... :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Herr Durr You mean the prisoner? "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
    Nah gtrs are like cars, theyre our girls, she just has some cool tats is all.
    You got 2 ricks? Luck mofo. I love my modded ibanez bass, it gets loud and crunchy and the action is so sweet. But every time I play a friends fender I am amazed by the tone. I can't even imagine the sound a rick makes. A real tone monster.
    Once I got a chance to play a hofner violin bass during a recording session at a local studio, and man did that thing sound soooooo sweet. I dont know If I would rock one on stage at a gig McCartney style, but I would definitely record with it. Lol, I was just imagining myself with an all blacked out low slung hofner. I would be original for sure. Do they make a 5 string? I doubt it with that thin buttery neck. I like to tune 4 string basses with a low b anyways like a 5 string without the high string. Takes a lot of truss rod tweaking to compensate for the extra tension, but I like to get low

21. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Its trendy insertion into Billboard top 40 charts made me wanna vomit listening to "EDM" the past 2 years. Obviously there still is a load of "good" electronic music out there, but it's oversturation and the constant 4 to the floor side chain every damn thing to the kick stereotypes has made it unbearable lately... I don't think it will go down in history like disco, but one thing it does have in common is the way the industry shoved it down our throats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List