Any way to install "libstdc++.6.0.9" on M1 Macbooks?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by VisionSierra, Apr 27, 2021.

1. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

I am trying to install Audio Ease "Altiverb XL 7.0.5" on my M1 MacBook Air, and when trying to patch the "libstdc++.6.0.9" file in (/usr/lib) the folder is protected, even though "sip" is disabled... When I try to add permissions to the folder I get this error https://ibb.co/3dn72jT. Is there any way around this?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  3. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I might be confused about what you are asking. I know on Intel Apple still included some support for libstdc++, it might have deprecated completely on M1. Did you or software place that runtime there since it is in /usr/lib and not /usr/Library ... it might just need permissions and linkage.

Altiverb isn't cheap you get a hold of AA and see what is up.

You need xcode command line tools at least and provide appropriate permissions as SU if it will work at all it might with Rosetta, IDK haven't really looked at libs and backwards comparability for Apple SOC and old libs, just no interest on my part.

libstdc++ was deprecated by Apple in 2013 though the runtime still appears in OS Builds Apple's CLANG compiler will not patch or compile source that points to it. You get download all of Xcode and switch the CLANG compiler to a source, but out of the box everything defaults to libc++.

OK this is getting complicated. Log what happens when you try access through the console, might just be permissions, but MacOS generally isn't going to be happy with a runtime \ dyld in /usr/lib try to make a simlink in ~/library

4. VisionSierra

VisionSierra Ultrasonic

You're speaking in some foreign, alien (another galaxy) language I'm pretty sure a majority of the people on this forum cannot even understand what you just said... WHAT??!!! lol

5. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yhea, I was confused because you seemed to be talking about something technical.

You can override any permission from the console as superuser. The file is owned by the system/superuser [root] Try chmod with su and see if it work for you. You can chown to your username mod and change back, you might have to selfsign because dylib(s) are signed by Apple. You should make a backup first just in case there are breaking changes.

Code:

/usr/lib/#  ls -l libstdc*
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  725280 Sep 21  2020 libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      21 Jan 24  2020 libstdc++.6.dylib -> libstdc++.6.0.9.dylib
    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel      17 Jan 24  2020 libstdc++.dylib -> libstdc++.6.dylib

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  6. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

JMOUTTON - This a common old hack to get old iLok plugins working - the system dylib file is patched, and so the patched iLok plugin protection gets bypassed.

Anyway, this is an Intel system file, so unlikely to work on ARM architectures. My suggestion - either find plugin alternatives, or buy them - if you can afford a new Mac, you can probably afford to buy a key plugin you rely on...