Any user of the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 ? I have one question for you

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Blue, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Perhaps,but in the other synths you can automate the modwheel that is moving multi parameters anyway.:dunno:
    Right,soon I will also have a problem with too little audio outputs.I don't know what I'll have to do because I already use an Adat converter plugged in my audio interface.I don't have another Adat input port anymore.Maybe a patchbay?but it's not perfect.Audio interfaces with 32 inputs cost a fortune,like the Apogee Symphony.And I'm a Windows user and high end Apogee is mac.
    Or a Presonus interface,they are "cheap" for the number of I/O.But it's Presonus...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I don't mean to divert from the thread but i need to say this:
    Many people who work in the box prefer not having a mixer. Some go for touchscreens to emulate hands on mixing/tweaking, others go for fader controllers like the Mackie and a huge audio interface etc. I prefer the classic console approach man. You can never have enough i/o. Therefore you need to think ahead. That is if your rig needs 24 i/o, you should go for at least 32 to leave room for future gear or guests, etc etc.
    Now, budget and space are always the main concern in home and project studios. I recently "designed" a home studio for a friend with one main room and a tiny vocal booth but even then a proper console wouldn't fit the space. 14 square mtrs for the main room and 3 for the vocal booth meant that no large mixer would fit the room or if it did his synths had to leave the premises haha.
    The solution that didn't break the bank was a Behringer X32 Rack + Behringer S16 Stage Box. Total cost was ~1300 euros for 32 analog in/16 out and they occupy a 5U space in his rack. The mixer's control app is compatible with anything, pc, mac, ios, android. This mixer sounds much better than all other Behringers before it, i can even argue that it sounds better than the Presonus StudioLive lol, but that's another story of course. All in all it's a handy addition that can double as anything like a synth mixer or even an audio interface etc. You can always just get the mixer and add more i/o with a stagebox later on. The mixer is ~750 euros in Thomann. Behringer also has the S32 stagebox with 32 in/16 out which is also compatible with the mixer and goes for ~730. Not meaning to sound like a Behringer advertisement (who would 've thought about it lol), the build quality is definitely not high end but for controlled environments like a studio it makes little difference really. My humble opinion, before commiting and buying anything, check it out if you can :)
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_x32_rack.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_s16.htm
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_s32.htm
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

It's his thread, if he 'changes' the topic it should be ok, no?

Yep, that's exactly what I thought too. A console, or the rack version is probably the better way.

4. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

No worries,guys!No problem at all.I got the answer for my main concern about the AS-1.

Cool post mate,thank you.
    If I understand,these Behringer "mixers" would replace my audio interface?Because these "mixers" or "boxes" -I don't know their denomination- are audio interfaces,right?
    I'm not sure of Behringer drivers reliability on windows,and how well Behringer products are updated in the future.Because I am very happy with my RME.No problem at all in 8 years.When I buy something I want it lasting many years,you know...I prefer buying on the used market a good product,if needed.

And what would you think about a Mackie analog mixer in 2020,for the "analog" touch?Does it make sense,according to you?They are affordable on the used market,but they are not usb or thunderbolt of course...

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Nope. Only if you want it to. It would make sense in the case you need to record everything that you have hooked on it, and your interface doesn't have sufficient inputs. Behringer's usb interface is no match for an RME, each to their own of course. But they can co-exist. The X32 can be fitted with an ADAT expansion (32 i/o) so you can use it with your RME fully digital. I would use it just as a mixer and as a soundcard only when needed.
    Mackie's Onyx pres are good. Not top notch but not too shabby either. Better than the cheapo analog Behringers but not better than the X32. Checking out the prices in 2020 a 16 ch VLZ4 goes for ~650 new. Thing is, this is not the analog gear to be drooling for heheh. It isn't even on the Audient level not to mention SSL,Neve,API,Oram etc etc. Surely you could get a VLZ for ~300-350 used, but the thing to consider is, most of these mixers are used for small live gigs, so buying a used one is very questionable for me, as to what condition the mixer will really be (from the inside).
    If i needed just i/o for my gear, i 'd go for the X32 Rack (~750) anytime. Too many advantages imho and i find the price difference insignificant:
    On the X32 the pres are better.
    It is expandable for a huge amount of i/o to cover anything you might add up to 96ch lol. Even with MADI or Dante or ADAT.
    It can be controlled remotely with anything from anywhere, even with a cheap smartphone.
    This is the only cheap mixer imho where the onboard FX are usable with good quality. I have used the cheap digital Soundcrafts and Allen&Heath and the fx suck. With the x32 if you need to add some compression+eq+reverb/delay to your synths you won't be dissapointed. Also, the included 100-band Real Time Analyzer with Spectrograph can help you tune your room to near perfection in no time and can be used on any or all channels too.
    The option to use it as an audio interface is just an added bonus to me. So again, i would use it for what it essentially is, a mixer. The only catch is you need to install the control app to have control of faders, i/o etc etc, but it's so easy to do so that i wouldn't have second thoughts about it.
    Au revoir mon ami :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. No Avenger

Almost needless to mention that this is - once again - right.

7. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Ok.Thank you again for all your replies No Avenger and Taskforce.I haven't any other question anymore.I award the "best answer" rating to No Avenger now,because you replied correctly to my original question in first.Taskforce you deserve an award everytime you write something on Audiosex,you are one of the most valuable members here,sincerely.:bow:

Have a nice day guys,all the best!:shalom:

8. No Avenger

This!

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Guys, i'm humbled. Thank you for all your nice words.
    :bow: