Any user of the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 ? I have one question for you

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Blue, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Hello everybody,

My last toy is a Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 :
    https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/production/toraiz-as-1/black/overview/

This thing sounds very very nice,I like it although it's a very basic sutractive synth.It's the modern sequential Pro 1 for those who don't know it.Its low pass filter is just magic!

I hope some of you use the AS-1 and you will be able to help me.
    Do you know if the slider can be automated via midi cc ? If yes,which one,please ?

I have not found anything in the user manual.

Thanks in advance guys.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Best Answer
    I don't have it but after a little research I found this:

- There's a very detailed description of all received and transmitted controllers at page 28ff
    - according to a test at amazona.de 'All controller movements except the slider are output as MIDI (CC or NRPN)'

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Ah ok,thank you very much for your answer No Avenger.

I've read carefully the user manual but they are not talking about this slider's cc.
    So I'm very disappointed now...Any synth has a mod wheel cc,so I was sure this slider would replace the mod wheel.But not...It su*ks...

I never go on Amazona.de,I'll have a look at this website if there's also a French or English version.:thumbsup:

Thanks again!:bow:

5. No Avenger

Yeah, this is strange.

That's understandable. :yes: I just searched for 'Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 Test' and this page was easier to read for me.

6. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I would like to know if it's the same problem with the DSI Prophet 6,because the Toraiz AS-1 is one voice of the Prophet 6.
    I know our member Taskforce has a Prophet 6,so I hope he will read this thread and reply.

The DSI Pro 2 has 2 sliders too,and maybe the Prophet 12.I am going to make some research on DSI forums right now.

7. No Avenger

Then you have to write '@taskforce', not just Taskforce. :winker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@Blue
    Err... here mate. Was'up bro @No Avenger :)
    New Toraiz mono synth with Dave Smith? C'est bon mon ami.
    I don't understand exactly what you ask of me, but on the Prophet 6 all hands on controls transmit CC. The synth can transmit/receive CC on any or all of 16 MIDI channels if you want to automate those controls in your DAW.
    While i am not familiar with the vertical slider on the AS-1, it should transmit a cc or many cc values (yep plural), that is not in a fixed way like a single cc number, since it is made programmable to tweak more than one parameters at once. In the manual it says that "multiple parameters can be assigned to the slider". There is a full midi implementation on the last pages of the manual, which makes me think they don't mention the particular control because it is assignable. You just select the parameters you want to assign to it and off you go, they should be transmitted via midi out (or usb too perhaps?). Reading the AS-1 manual though, the machine can only either transmit or receive cc, not both at the same time. Cheers mates.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Thank you very much my friends.Yes I knew that trick @No Avenger ,but I was aware to bother @Taskrce.

@taskforce ,yeah your french is fine!This AS-1 sound is killer!However It misses the Prophet's reverb.
    I just wanna know if the slider on your Prophet6 transmits to the classic CC1 instead of the Modwheel like on most of synths.

I do know how to assign destinations to the slider through (or inside,I don't know which word is good) my AS-1.
    My problem is that I don't know if the slider transmits a CC,so I could automate it from my DAW.

If I could automate the slider it would be better than automating separately -for instance- the LP filter,HP filter and OSC1 Pitch,you know what I mean.

But unfortunately @No Avenger seems right.On a French forum one guy who own the AS-1 told me yesterday evenig it is not possible.:(

If it's not possible I will experiment with Delta Modulator or with the new Melda MCCgenerator.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@Blue
    My friend, Prophet 6 doesn't have a slider. Just the classic Mod and Pitch Wheels and a shitload of high quality rotary switches lol. You probably were thinking of the Prophet X and XL models, they are a different kind of "beast" altogether with a sample library from 8DIO etc. And sadly i haven't got one of those so i :dunno: .
    Wish i could help you more on that. I still don't understand what you are to trying to accomplish, forgive me on this, i 'm an old sod hehe.
    The way i see it, you 'd only need the slider to transmit something specific if you needed to control another machine with your AS-1. I mean, isn't it enough that you can automate the various AS-1's cc in your daw?
    That sounds easy, make sure your daw doesn't filter off any midi messages when recording midi, then press rec on an empty midi channel, move the slider up and down a few times, press stop. Go to your recorded midi channel and check the recorded midi messages list. Unless you are on a daw that doesn't have/support the traditional midi list, you should be able to see what was midi messages were recorded.
    Cheers:)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Ok,I'm sorry,I was mistaken.I was sure the P6 has a slider.

My English is bad,I'm going to explain again:
    I'm just trying to automate the AS-1's slider from Studio One.But I don't find any midi CC that works for the slider.And they are not talking about that in the user manual.

But it seems it's impossible.The slider is just for playing live.Sooo bad!

It's a shame because except this annoyance this AS-1 is great.

Thank you for your time,have a nice evening.:mates:

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I still don't get it. You don't automate hardware controls. You automate midi events transmitted or received instead. Your slider should be mapped to do something like, let's say, pitch bend or modulation or both. Aren't those transmitted via midi out in realtime and recorded in a daw?
    Btw, Studio One does not have a midi event list/editor. Even if you did what i said in my previous post you wouldn't be able to view the cc data recorded in a linear fashion.
    Cheers mate :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Why don't automate hardware controls?I don't understand...If you want,let's say a filter sweep during 2 bars,how do you do it?Of course you can just turn the knob on the synth,but it's not as precise as an automation.
    So Usually I turn the knob on my synth AND I record the midi (tranmitted from the synth to S1) automation in the DAW.Later I can slightly modify the automation with the mouse if my sweep isn't perfect.

EDIT: for the synths I can't connect on my audio interface's midi in ports (see my post below),I search with the user manual which cc is the filter for example,I select it in the S1 midi cc list and then I lock it to one of my midi keyboard's knobs.
    So I can't automate any of my synth parameters with my midi keyboard.

Sorry I was very confusing.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I understand what you mean now,you can in S1 see the midi transmitted from or to the synth,but I haven't enogh midi IN ports in my RME UCX.
    And I don't use midi via USB because of jitter.
    I use a Expert Sleepers midi interface for the midi out from my pc too,but it just has midi out ports.
    So I have 2 or 3 synths I can't connect to the UCX' midi IN ports.

15. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I tried to connect the AS-1 to the UCX midi in ports and this *ucking slider doesn't transmit any cc...:(

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

That is a bummer mate. You can always hope/ask that they bring the "slider's function" cc output as a firmware/os update. For what it's worth, you should double check that the AS-1 is set to receive cc messages and map any control parameters to your keyboard's knobs/sliders so you can write automation with.
    :)

17. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Yes you're right,I'll follow your advices and buy a cheap controller with many knobs and sliders.Thank you my friend.

18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You are welcome my friend. Something like a Korg nanoKONTROL 2 perhaps... I bought 2 to give as Xmas gifts to my mates. It's so cheap even if you don't like it in the end you wouldn't mind lol.
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/korg_nanokontrol_2_black.htm
    PS: The old Behringer BCR 2000 was great for the cost although it had to be manually mapped. Sadly they don't make it anymore but if you like what it offers, it pops up in ebay from time to time.
    Cheers :)
    EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000CZ0RJC/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

19. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

You read my mind,I was thinking to those controllers!
    The Behringer BCR 2000 was great,indeed.
    Akai makes or made some cool controllers too.
    I will look controllers with many knobs and sliders because I have a DSI Evolver desktop too,which is a bit of pain in the arse to program.It would be cool to have a dedicated controller for this one too.
    But I will need a bigger room if I continue collecting gear like I'm doing lately!:hillbilly:

I'm also looking for a good drum machine,a MS-20,a Moog Sub37,and more...

20. No Avenger

Was just meant as a friendly reminder.
    Additionally, if he's around here, it's his own fault. [​IMG]
    Finally, looks like it worked. :winker:

It's just guessing, but I can imagine this has to do with it's multitask ability. Maybe this leads to chaotic controller transmission.

:woot: That's really surprising.

That's a generic problem with consoles, you never have enough I/Os.

21. No Avenger