Any tips for first job in studio?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by kenstowicz, Jan 24, 2015.

1. kenstowicz

kenstowicz Newbie

I just got wind Im most likely getting a paid position in a studio in LA. The guy who plugged me in is close friend of family.

I make computer music on my own and use a lot of software that emulate analogue equiptment but have never worked in a professional recording studio setting.

The guy who I'm going to work for is aware he would be helping me from the ground up.

Was wondering if any of you guys have any useful tips/ info that might help me out.

THANKS!

3. Rolma

Rolma Guest

It is always cool to have a daddy : )

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Just be a nice, friendly, calm, proactive, and humble guy, who shows interest, asks questions and is not condescending.
    Be alert where a hand could be used so that the people there can concentrate on their jobs. Watch, listen and learn, and if you think the timing's right ask if you can try.
    Really not that different from the first days at other jobs :)

p.s.: nobody likes a wise guy :wink:

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

6. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

That's mean Zenarcist! :bleh:

7. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Learn to make good good coffee, or learn where the best coffee in the neighborhood is and the fastest way to get there and back.
    Trent Reznor says he started by cleaning bathrooms so don't expect any different.
    I'm lucky the studio I interned at had a family friend hired as a maid.

8. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

back your abilities. and pay attention.
    experience is more valuable than a diploma

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Mean but true, everybody starts off as a general dogsbody .. unless your dad is really important :bleh:

10. kenstowicz

kenstowicz Newbie

Its funny my dad has nothing to do with this my sisters fiancé works in the industry and he had a friend that owed him a favor.

But anyways thanks for the suggestions

11. gigasquid

gigasquid Noisemaker

Be prepared to do humble work without complaint for as long as it takes. Be prepared to learn, even if you think you already know it. Try to go beyond what is expected of you. Show that you can fit in as part of a team. Think of all the amazing learning that will be open to you! A cheerful attitude is worth gold.

Just my 2cents :)

12. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Pen an paper for attentive remembering, try and write down things you find important, so that next day you come in you can use the digested knowledge from the previous day to your full potential. Even try experimenting with the knowledge you ascertained with soft plugs at home and suggest potential improvements or things you have found that could be of use (depending on what you are mixing).