Any Star Trek fans here? (esp. TNG, DS9 and Voyager)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Polymetrix, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

To cheer up those of you who enjoy Star Trek (especially TNG, DS9 and Voyager) a little: Last year I created a Frequency, Chords and Scales (both guitar) poster using the LCARS-style:
    [​IMG]
    (original post on imgur where I also show the printed DIN A1 version: LINK (also got an A0 print but no frame to hang it))

It's uploaded in a quite large resolution (over 9000px) so feel free to change and/or print it. If you don't agree with the darkened or highlighted areas I suggest you read the very small text right next to the "emphasize"-block. I gathered the information displayed from several charts I found and used some sort of middle ground for my poster.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Love it! Love it! x 14
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

He He Thats pretty cool......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Beth

Beth Guest

Yes Me ! I am :) Also trying to get my mixing and general musicianship skills developed so thanks for a great resource......so a double treat Love it ! :goodpost::thanks:

LLAP @Polymetrix
    upload_2016-11-8_21-50-59.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Hell yeah! Thats cool as hell! Love it!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Didn't they used to have a VST with the LCARS interface for the GUI?

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Very cool. Dif-tor heh smusma.

Hornet spaces.
    [​IMG]

This used to be my iPhone skin.

upload_2016-11-8_14-14-47.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Oh yeah i see the similarity now!! The new hornet stuff i mean .....I think theres a definate trek vibe goin on there!!
    Funny i use hornet spikes etc but i never associated the design with startrek till now...

9. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

did someone say Star Trek!?
    [​IMG]

great job, really appreciate your devotion!:bow:

10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Since there are some ST fans, i tot i'd ask to see HOW WELL you know ST. I remember watching as ep of ST as a kid:

There's a ship interior. People are shown. There's a derelict/nonresponsive ship nearby, and also a black hole? nearby, and they were supposed to be conserving resources.

Their control podiums magically vanish. that's okay, you can control the ship from other parts of the ship. (Mb caused by the derelict ship?)

But then, an alien is discovered near the engine/warp core.

When the alien is lead to the captain, the female captain orders the alien to be nourished by the crew.

WHAT episode is this?

'scuse my terminology/memory

11. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

@junh1024
    ...for start, if the captian was female, then is from Voyager... ep with black holes you have "Parallax" and "The Void" (in "The Void" is not actually black hole, but could lead to that conclusion)
    I can't recall all of that with alien... but at least you have some guidance now! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

13. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Damn now I want to try to make a circle of fifths and key chart in the same style for us piano guys with an octave for the modes instead of necks

15. Polymetrix

Thank you all! Really glad you like it!

A piano-version for the scales could be quite easy (and not even require half the space of the right side) but the circle of fifths might be a challenge to look like a part of the whole. I'd suggest to look for screenshots or just google images for LCARS like this or this.

I've been working on a Borg version for almost a year now and it's not even half-way done. The Borg panels look extremely cool (to me) but to implement well structured data into them ruins the slightly chaotic appearance. I recently had an idea that might work..but it'll require a lot of effort which is nothing new to me. I created this one with GIMP..placing elements by hand...and continue to work this way. When it's done I'll post it too. It might even be provide a better overview in the end.

16. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

It sounds like you might be wasting more effort than necessary. Last time I tried GIMP it was a lot more fiddly than other/commercial offerings. Perhaps Inkscape (free, or other vector stuff), or Adobe Illustrator, or something with a modular style system like Scribus (free) or Adobe Indesign ?

I know you can do tables and paste stuff in Indesign

17. Polymetrix

Yeah but that would be another software I would've to learn and I don't do enough work with graphics to do this. I really enjoy learning new stuff but I am not interested in designing more than this second poster so I will just go for GIMP (which I've been using for many years now). I actually tried Inkscape but...nope. I had to work a little with Illustrator for a project at uni and that wasn't a pleasant experience either. So I'll just fight my way through this...I don't mind unnecessary work if it is just me doing it because of myself ;)

18. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Since this is in LOUNGE I can discuss non-audio related things. A few things:

• Too bad VOY & DS9 aren't on BD.
    • I'm not really a fan of ST (yet), so apart from watching the_void, should I watch the original or reboot series movies? Are they any good?

19. Polymetrix

Well I go for the popular opinion of the reboots being nice action movies with Star Trek characters but not really Star Trek. The original series was groundbreaking in some ways (esp. if you look at when it was aired), TNG/DS9/Voyager continued a message of peaceful solutions and working together, being curious and explore, having science as a best friend, with violence being the last resort.

If you watch the reboots without knowing the original stuff there are some remarks that won't make sense and you'll get a different impression of what the older Star Trek stuff is about. Although the more modern stuff (TNG/DS9/Voyager) contains more action it doesn't exist around it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. Polymetrix

To all of you who understand German: if you don't know it already, check out "Sinnlos im Weltraum". "New" synchronizations (made between 1994 and 1997) ...Picard as an ultra-aggressive alcoholic, Riker an idiot who wants nothing more than to be Captain, Worf being extremely childish and craving gummy bears..