Any Soloution for HQ GM (General Midi) in 2022

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vampgirl, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Sorry Sinewave, I left the track at the beginning where there is only one instrument (piano) and then other instruments get in. So StudioOne correctly separated the tracks. If I drop soundCanvas on each track separately it will correctly load the right instrument for that track and so I have to drag and drop 10 instances of soundcanvas on each track for it to work.

Thanks a lot. Very useful.

2. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

3. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

There's an R2R release of v.1.1.6 on the Russian site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

this was never updated x64? haha i had a working version in 2004, damn.

Yeah it sounds very good.

5. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I haven't done this for some time but I too noticed that the instruments didn't load last time I tried - I recall though, you need to download them from Presonus if I'm right, they're part of the content pack stuff. I have downloaded packs before and my Studio One came from the sister site. You should probably google missing instruments for gm midi files just in case I'm wrong and they removed the feature.

Regarding whether the instruments are all on one track or not I think it depends if it's a 0 GM file (all on one track) or a 1 GM file which will automatically load into separate tracks, if I recall correctly (it's been more than a decade since I had to look that up).

6. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Thanks a lot. Good info :)

Thanks a lot. You are right and this still works. For it you need to have presence xt core sounds from presonus. I am getting them right now:)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

In FL Studio you can import midi and by default it has options selected to assign each channel to an instance of "Flex" VSTi GM instruments. It is VERY handy for quick loading. I have FL Studio as a program to "Open with..." for .mid files now.
    Here are a couple of pics using a midi file of Rush's La Villa Strangiato.
    The order of tracks is this song is "in order of appearance", (as opposed to my normal 'by type' ) and it seems to work well for pre-arranged stuff.
    Here are 2 pics. The first one is just after FL loads it up.
    The second one is after I cloned the full midi clip and then split it into clips by channel, then did some recoloring and auto-naming clips, auto-assigning mixer tracks, and adding an audio reference track.
    FL Midi+Flex.jpg FL Midi+Flex3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The Last Version is:
    Roland VS - SOUND Canvas VA v1.1.6 VSTi - 19.01.2020 - 25 MB - Win64 - R2R

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i meant purity not Canvas. I use Canvas still, the piano drenched in Valhalla reverbs, me guesta a lot.

10. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

I have come to the final conclusion that the best solution is to use HQ VST sounds as the GM sounds even if descent they are not the best you can get. After a lot of different testing, the best GM sound I was able to get were from HALion Sonic SE (free) and it's free library. Soundcanvas comes second and also dose not sound bad. So my solution is to open midi files in HALion Sonic SE as it automatically adds the right instrument for each song and has the best sounds, then replace the sounds I want with better quality instruments from my library.

I am missing some sound libs to do this! But this probably requires a new thread were we can exchange ideas on what instruments to use for this purpose .