Any Roland TB-03 Boutique owners able to advise me?

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by Bunford, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I am considering buying one, but just wanted to check a couple of something. Does it transmit audio and MIDI simultaneously over MIDI?

I am wondering if I connect via USB, what can I do? For example, if I have a drum loop playing in Ableton, would I be able to record both MIDI and audio performance when using the TB-03 to tweak and play?

3. Bandit

Bandit Producer

On the website, this is clear to me: Back in the studio, the TB-03 can send control information via MIDI or its USB port, the latter of which also functions as a audio interface.

You can almost do what you want, but no sound via USB only midi. You have to hook up audio using audio out to audio in on your soundcard / mixer. Oh and yes I own one.

4. Acid

Acid Ultrasonic

From the website

"Once connected to a PC or Mac, both audio and MIDI data can be sent through the USB port."

and

"Via its USB port, the TB-03 functions as a high-quality audio interface, providing a simple and reliable way of recording directly to your DAW application"

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

i was just typing a reply to your other thread, why make 2 threads wth the same question?

though i have the tb-3 i think i can answer your question
    yes to everything, the usb port wouldnt make much sense if it wasnt able to send and receive midi, if you would've had a mac you could also use the integrated soundcard on the input of ableton and record the audio while having your normal soundcard as your output

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've had a read, and looked at the above replied and still not clear to me. I understand it can do MIDI and audio over USB. My question was whether it can do both simultaneously, that is at the same time. Maybe it'd be clearer if I explained what I am trying to achieve.

I essentially want to set up a track in Ableton, probably using the External Instrument on it. Then have that run the MIDI to the TB-03 and receive audio from the TB-03. All nice and easy so far I think. However, I also want to record the MIDI of anything I tweak on the TB-03, that is all of the automation curves etc as well as the note data (maybe I'd need to use another MIDI track for this and have it receive the MIDI data from the TB-03?). Then I could use that MIDI to copy to the track with the External Instrument to send back to the TB-03 and in effect, automate the MIDI recording of what I had been tweaking and doing.

Ultimately I am trying to find how I can record both the MIDI data/automation for a live performance and the audio from it. My question is whether this can be achieved by ONLY using the USB port and cable. Does that make any sense at all?

It does say on the Roland site that:

"Once connected to a PC or Mac, both audio and MIDI data can be sent through the USB port."

but it is not clear if that's simultaneously, as other wording on there suggests it's one or the other.

Cheers for the heads up. I'd forgotten I'd set up the other thread and deleted it now!

7. Bandit

Bandit Producer

Oh damn, really. Well f#ck a duck, I need to check my settings. I just hooked it up to Cubase and inserted an audio cable. I honestly didn't even try, also because all the promo video's show a midi and audio cable :) My bad. The audio drive is indeed a nice addition. I will try tomorrow.